Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #761
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
The oldest one I have is from July 4 2009, I don't see a version number.
I started this thread in Sep 2009, but this is the second thread on the subject. The first thread got eaten by the great forum migration of 2009, which also ate a few of my earlier development notes (I'd made the mistake of keeping them all on the forum, instead of backing them up locally like I do now). I don't remember exactly when I released the first version, but GURPS Spaceships was released in late 2007, so it was likely in 2008.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #762
kmunoz

Not sure if this is to do with using Excel '16 on a Mac, but I'm getting the following error when I open RC11 for Excel 2007:

Quote:
Microsoft Visual Basic
Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005');
Method 'ShapeRange' of object 'CheckBox' failed
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:57 AM   #763
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I've been developing this spreadsheet for 7 or 8 years already, maybe longer (the oldest backup file I have is from 2011, but that was already v1.36 of the sheet).
My earliest spaceship design stored in your Spaceships.xls is from 2010.

Quote:
I don't remember exactly when I released the first version, but GURPS Spaceships was released in late 2007, so it was likely in 2008.
And I have a file named Spaceships119-2007.zip, so that'd push your date back further.
NB: The spreadsheet inside it has a date modified of 2010 though.

ETA: What's the difference between calling a version v2.11 and v2.0 Release Candidate 11?
I can make a guess, that there are non-release versions between RC's, is that it?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 09-19-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:30 AM   #764
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
ETA: What's the difference between calling a version v2.11 and v2 Release Candidate 11?
I can make a guess, that there are non-release versions between RC's, is that it?
In typical software development...

Version 2.11 is the eleventh minor version released in the 2.x major version series. It's a “normal” version, nothing special about it.

Version 2, Release Candidate 11 is the eleventh candidate to be come the release that will be labelled version 2.0. A release candidate is not a release — it's essentially the last stage before release, after the beta versions. In most development cycles, if a release candidate doesn't have any new issues found or complaints filed within a certain amount of time, an identical version of that candidate is published as the actual release version.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #765
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
Not sure if this is to do with using Excel '16 on a Mac, but I'm getting the following error when I open RC11 for Excel 2007:
OK, I'm uploading RC12 right now. I'm reasonably certain I fixed this issue, along with another related one that can affect any Excel version.

Quote:
ETA: What's the difference between calling a version v2.11 and v2.0 Release Candidate 11?
I will likely use the v2.1 (or v2.2, or v2.11) for large milestone releases. Right now the next big milestone will probably be when I can fix macros in OpenOffice again and bring the two sheets back into line with one another, so that will be v2.1.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-19-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #766
Daigoro

Quote:
I will likely use the v2.1 (or v2.2, or v2.11) for large milestone releases. Right now the next big milestone will probably be when I can fix macros in OpenOffice again and bring the two sheets back into line with one another, so that will be v2.1.
Dude, it's been on 2.0 for at least 4 years! I've got 2.0 beta 15 downloaded, and there's a lot of work and a huge difference between it and RC11.

But don't mind me, I'm kidding, I was just asking out of idle curiosity. I haven't actually used the spreadsheet for ages, but it was definitely a godsend when we had a spacey (... fantasy-ish, ... supery) game going.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #767
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
In typical software development...

Version 2.11 is the eleventh minor version released in the 2.x major version series. It's a “normal” version, nothing special about it.

Version 2, Release Candidate 11 is the eleventh candidate to be come the release that will be labelled version 2.0. A release candidate is not a release — it's essentially the last stage before release, after the beta versions. In most development cycles, if a release candidate doesn't have any new issues found or complaints filed within a certain amount of time, an identical version of that candidate is published as the actual release version.
So it's the opposite of what I said? There'll be any number of RC's between 2.0 and 2.01, say.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #768
ericbsmith

Quote:
So it's the opposite of what I said? There'll be any number of RC's between 2.0 and 2.01, say.
I do a number of versions as I increment changes. I normally number them 2.0.XXX as I make the changes. This is necessary because Excel will, on occasion, corrupt a file on saving it, or crash and take out some changes, or start pitching errors that I can't easily track down without a file to compare the changes to... or any number of other things. Some of these are particularly more likely when I'm programming Macros than in general usage, because Macros can do things that you're not supposed to do and cause Bad Things (TM) to happen.

Once I have reached a point where everything seems stable and bug free I can delete all the mid-points and just increment the RC for the new release.

All I really need, though, is a way of versioning the file so that I can track specific changes that are made. Beyond that it doesn't matter if it's v2.0 RC 11, or v2.0.11 or v2.11, I just need to be able to version the sheets. Ultimately, I'm just one guy piddling around with some programming stuff, not a professional and not a programming studio, so I just need something that works for me. I went with Release Candidate numbers because it was an easy transition for me from the Beta Release numbers.

As for what I use versioning for, mostly this is used to track where certain data cells are located in previous versions so that I can read an older version of the file and import ships from it. Although there are some slight speed improvements that I have implemented based on what version of the sheet a ship was created in - basically I don't need to worry about renaming some ship systems or options if the ship is from a more recent version of the sheet. Similarly, this is also why I dropped support for importing from v1.x of the sheet a few release candidates ago; at this point I expect anyone importing ships will be doing so from a v2 RC, and I was running into some overhead limitations in Excel trying to maintain compatibility. Basically, older versions of Excel only have a limited amount of memory space for variables, and I was hitting the ceiling trying to keep the older compatibility that nobody really needed, and if by some chance somebody did - which they haven't so far - I could provide an older v2.0 RC of the to import ships into, and then import from the older to newer v2.0 RC. Or they could just import the ships manually by entering in the data.

Quote:
And I have a file named Spaceships119-2007.zip, so that'd push your date back further.
NB: The spreadsheet inside it has a date modified of 2010 though.
The -2007 zip files contain Excel 2007 versions of the file, either .XLSM or XLSX, as opposed to Excel 2000 versions which are .XLS
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-19-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #769
Daigoro

Quote:
Ultimately, I'm just one guy piddling around with some programming stuff, not a professional and not a programming studio...
... yet doing the work of Kromm.

Quote:
The -2007 zip files contain Excel 2007 versions of the file, either .XLSM or XLSX, as opposed to Excel 2000 versions which are .XLS
Yeah, I realised that might've been the case when I looked again at your download list.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #770
ericbsmith

I'm getting ready to add a new system to my spreadsheet and Optional Rules, but would like some opinions/suggestions on it.

Energy Bank (TL5) [Any]

"Energy Banks" feature prominantly in many fictional universes, being used to quickly power-up FTL drives (particularly Jump drives), to provide extra emergency power for combat, or even as a backup power source should the main reactor go down. Batteries are also used in many real-world designs such as electric cars and non-nuclear submarines. These energy banks can represent realistic Battery Banks or "Capacitors," or they may be superscience Power Cells with far greater energy density than realistic batteries.

Instead of providing Power Points (PP) Energy Banks are rated for providing power over a number of hours - for instance they may be rated at 4 Power Point Hours (4PPh), which allows them to provide 1 PP for 4 hours, 4 PP for 1 hour, or even 2 PP for 2 hours. If powering long-term systems (such as an FTL drive) simply calculate duration by dividing PPh capacity by the number of PP all active systems require.

For tracking energy usage during space combat the bank will also be rated in Power Point Turns (PPt); this is equal to the PPh multiplied by a factor based on turn length (see table below). Each Power Point drained from an energy bank for a Space Combat turn costs one PPt; e.g. if you are powering a Force Screen for 2PP, a Weapon Battery for 1 PP, and a Reactionless Drive for 1PP this would cost a total of 4PPt for every turn that the bank is being used to power those systems.

Power Cells may also represent Magical or Psionic energy reserves (see SS7, p. 20-21); this cuts the cost to half-price but means that the bank may only power and be recharged by Magic or Psionic sources. Energy Banks may also be Compact (see P3/30, p. 7), multiplying cost by x1.5 and making them Volatile (p. SS1, p. 62), and doubling the PPh & PPt capacity.

Code:
  Turn
 Length      Multiplier
20-second       x180
1-minute         x60
3-minute         x20
10-minute         x6

TL5    TL6    TL7    TL8    TL9    TL10    TL11    TL12
Power Point Hours (PPh)   0.2    0.5      1      2      3       4       5       6

SM            +5      +6       +7     +8     +9      +10     +11      +12     +13    +14     +15
Cost ($)    $100k    $300k    $1M    $3M    $10M    $30M    $100M    $300M    $1B    $3B    $10B
Multiply cost and PPh by 5 for Power Cell Banks.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-30-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet