Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default Terminator-like flesh removal in combat?

Ultra-tech says that you should give robots with realistic flesh ablative or semi-ablative DR to represent the ability to have the flesh get damaged in combat, but it doesn't say how much.

So, I went with DR 5 Semi-Ablative and tough skin (reason for that is, you can skill cut the flesh etc and it bleeds, but in that case it doesn't remove the DR, and any electrical secondary effects, etc... still penetrate).

What do you guys think... is DR 5 Semi-ablative enough, or should it be more? For the most part the T-800 doesn't actually lose flesh unless the damage is massive, levels where even a human would have exposed bones... ?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Trigonomicon

Default Re: Terminator-like flesh removal in combat?

well, the infiltrator-type Combat Robot on page 167 of HT have 30 points of ablative DR, so 5 seems a bit small.
Trigonomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigonomicon View Post
well, the infiltrator-type Combat Robot on page 167 of HT have 30 points of ablative DR, so 5 seems a bit small.
Ah, ok thanks and should I stick with semi-ablative, or go with full ablative? Because I do want it to be as close to what would happen with a real human as possible. Of course, 30 is quite a bit of damage... an average human with that level of damage would be making death rolls... so that actually does seem about right.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Mathulhu

I would go with enough fully ablative DR that the first major wound the robot takes removes the flesh on that location.

So you thin you've chopped through its arm, oh no just ripped a bloody chunk of flesh off revealing the metal underneath.

How should one stat Ablative DR by location? I believe it covers all of the body traditionally.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
I would go with enough fully ablative DR that the first major wound the robot takes removes the flesh on that location.

So you thin you've chopped through its arm, oh no just ripped a bloody chunk of flesh off revealing the metal underneath.

How should one stat Ablative DR by location? I believe it covers all of the body traditionally.
Hmm... yeah I'd have to look that up... maybe just keep track of DR by body part same as one does with HP? Same divisions.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Trigonomicon

A quick and easy way to do it would be to simply decide a threshold that leads to exposed robotics, like "any single attack that does 7 or more damage exposes the metal underneath".
Old 06-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
A quick and easy way to do it would be to simply decide a threshold that leads to exposed robotics, like "any single attack that does 7 or more damage exposes the metal underneath".
You mean instead of or in addition to the flesh DR?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Trigonomicon

In addition.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
In addition.
Hmm ok thanks.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
maybe just keep track of DR by body part same as one does with HP?
If you are using Accumulated Wounds (p. B420), you probably should Accumulate damage to DR in the same way. However Accumulated Wounds is a (very) optional rule.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote