Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #31
xavilongo

Default Re: Convoy question

Yes. Well, in fact, in every lane of CW, 4 squares wide, you can put two vehicles in paralel. In the actual road lanes I have seen this is impossible, for example one truck fills every space available in one lane. So, even if we cut down the standard CW road sections from 3-lane to 2-lane, the space available is far greater than in the actual roads.

I must confess it has been a surprise for me to look at the actual roads. I thought they were more wide ;)

Anyway, it could be interesting to reduce the CW lanes to reflect real road space. More congestion could be great fun! No more easy escape from dropped weapons! :)
xavilongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #32
swordtart

You know, you can look at a thing 100 times and not see the obvious. I was pointing out the road was only 2 lanes, and I completely overlooked how narrow the lanes were as well. Google maps is an excellent CW resource for the road campaign DM.

That narrow gap means you cannot pass without going point blank. That makes tyre shots credible.

Yes, I suspect the DW suite on the Grabber might actually be effective on that basis. The convoy vehicles will also tend to block each others LOS.

I may have to re-run that encounter with the road as it actually is. I suspect we'll still just be slowing down and avoiding the mines until we can blow the Grabber off the map.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #33
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
You know, you can look at a thing 100 times and not see the obvious. I was pointing out the road was only 2 lanes, and I completely overlooked how narrow the lanes were as well. Google maps is an excellent CW resource for the road campaign DM.
If one can find it, or make it: There's an old unofficial "supplement" for _CW_ (and a couple long-OOP car-combat games) called "The Road", made by "Autoventures", which has 8"-square "road tiles" which are suitable for _Convoy_.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I may have to re-run that encounter with the road as it actually is. I suspect we'll still just be slowing down and avoiding the mines until we can blow the Grabber off the map.
This is why my convoy point-guards are Mids with as many F-mount guns as I can manage. :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #34
xavilongo

Well, after finishing the adventure and comparing both rulebook versions, I am pretty sure of this:

The Convoy adventure ("second version") was designed without taking into account the -3 for night, that is not mentioned in the whole adventure book. The AI of the enemy vehicles makes sense without that modifier.

The ADQ version("first version") takes into account the -3 for night, that is mentioned in the rules, but the AI of the enemy vehicles is very different!.

So, if you are using the "normal" second version and want to apply the -3 for night, it is my advice that you change the AI of the enemy vehicles: no more tire targeting, just normal shots.

Last edited by xavilongo; 06-14-2021 at 02:21 PM.
xavilongo is offline   Reply With Quote