Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #21
kjamma4

Default Re: 43's Truck Stop: The Three-Speed Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
a "speed switch". For $100.
Yeah, we have apps on our cell phones that can do what thousands of dollars of CW programs do.

I'm still in favor of saying that HTMs and Overdrive should let you have one "program" for free that activates as a default.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #22
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Yeah, we have apps on our cell phones that can do what thousands of dollars of CW programs do.
Yeah -- it's not as bad as the computers in _Traveller_, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
I'm still in favor of saying that HTMs and Overdrive should let you have one "program" for free that activates as a default.
That's why I went with a Link -- an additional $100 for a 3-speed autobox isn't a *huge* deal, but not having to waste an action on manual shifts should cost *something*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Also... for fun and laughs, try a T-Cat in a sprint car. And yes, I did actually do that once in a game.
My _Nuclear Banana_ series of racers includes a T-cat-powered Sprint; it *almost* makes up for not being able to use Streamlining.... :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #23
Uncle Edgar

I suggest the following:
Engine Management System $500, no weight or space, destroyed when the power plant is destroyed. Activated or deactivated with a firing action.
While active, at the end of the turn, performs one firing action to activate/deactivate engine modifications such as overdrive or high-torque motors. Will attempt to ensure top speed is above current speed, then maximise acceleration, then maximise fuel efficiency. This occurs before checking for engine damage from exceeding top speed.

It's more costly than the simple "link" systems proposed above, but it does save you from having to perform the firing action yourself. It's also limited by only being able to perform one firing action per turn.
Uncle Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote