Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
Tinman

Default Extra Attack questions

I seem to remember that one can only use extra attack with an attack or all-out attack, but not with a move and attack.
1) Is that correct?
2) If not, can someone give me the reference for where it says so?

Thanks for the help.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Extra Attack questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I seem to remember that one can only use extra attack with an attack or all-out attack, but not with a move and attack.
1) Is that correct?

Thanks for the help.
MA126:
Each level of the Extra Attack advantage gives one additional attack per All-Out Attack, Attack, Committed Attack, Defensive Attack, or Move and Attack maneuver.
Extra Attack benefits only those maneuvers.
I can't recall anything about it not being usable on M+A

If anything this was a nerf as people might've assumed you could add free attacks if you took non-Attack maneuvers like Do Nothing / Concenetrate / Ready / Move

I guess MA126 plays upon the "extra" part implying a first attack must exist in the first place.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
Refplace

Yeah, I've always understood it to be an extra attack if you used a maneuver that allowed an attack.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:11 AM   #4
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
1) Is that correct?

Thanks for the help.
You might be thinking of Rapid Strike (p.370). This is a normal way to get more attacks. And it can only be used with normal Attack or All-Out Attack.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
techie242000

So in a follow up/clarification question. If I have a character (that has extra attack) and I use an affliction (lets say retch), as opposed to the standard missile oriented attack, do I still have an extra attack to be able to shoot a missile spell or would I have to have used a missile spell to trigger the extra attack? Is the retch (as an affliction) enough to trigger the extra attack or not?

Thanks,

David
techie242000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie242000 View Post
So in a follow up/clarification question. If I have a character (that has extra attack) and I use an affliction (lets say retch), as opposed to the standard missile oriented attack, do I still have an extra attack to be able to shoot a missile spell or would I have to have used a missile spell to trigger the extra attack? Is the retch (as an affliction) enough to trigger the extra attack or not?

Thanks,

David
Without a modifier such as Malediction Affliction is a missile attack.
With Malediction its more a spell or mental ability so typically you would use Compartmentalized Mind instead. I could see a GM house ruling to still allow it as an attack though.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
You might be thinking of Rapid Strike (p.370). This is a normal way to get more attacks.
And it can only be used with normal Attack or All-Out Attack.
B370:
You must take an Attack or All-Out Attack maneuver,
That predates Defensive Attack and Committed Attack though so I'm not sure if they're off limits...

MA127:
Unless he took Move and Attack, a warrior can split one of his melee attacks into two attacks
That makes me think DA/CA might be able to do Rapid Strikes too (since they're not listed alongside Move and Attack)

I could see "can be done on a Move and Attack" as some kind of -1 benefit to certain combination technique designs.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote