Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Disasters: Hurricane] Skill of the Week: Search and Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Negative modifiers due to distance or even speed are not usually considered as a form of "concealment" and I wouldn't expect Observation to train you to overcome those.
The very first thing concealment does (RAW) is make it so that objects are no longer in Plain Sight (negating the +10 bonus).

Quote:
The lack of any form of specialization in what it does would simply make Observation a universal replacement for Perception. That would make no sense pointswise. I beleive Observation has to be specialized in its' valid targets to at least some degree.
For [4/level], it has way less utility than buying Perception [5/level]. Perception boosts all sorts of things that Observation doesn't, starting with passive detection of observables, and going on and on into things like Body Language, rolling in combat when fighting invisible or darkened foes, Search, Tracking . . .
Old 12-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #42
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
The very first thing concealment does (RAW) is make it so that objects are no longer in Plain Sight (negating the +10 bonus).

So if a thing is in plain sight but very distant Observation would not be the Skill to use?

As to your other commnet I think Observation (in its' area of valid targets) does work passively. Such as when the GM tells you to roll v. Observation to spot something concealed or of tactical interest in your vicinity that you did not even know to look for.

If I was to start House Ruling Offical Skills out of existence (rather than limiting them firmly) Observation might be one. I think we may ahve shown that it does not have a good defintion and it might be mostly a Skill of gM convenience i.e. "Roll to spot the thing of importance to this adventure.".

Of course, that takes us back to one of the criticisms of Search and Rescue Skill though I could define S&R clealry enough for my purposes "This is the trained Skill to actively look for persons in distress or facing a threat from their immediate environment.".
Old 12-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #43
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
So if a thing is in plain sight but very distant Observation would not be the Skill to use?
I don't have an unambiguous quote to support a resolution in one direction or another, but Observation's cost of 80% that of Per makes me think it should be treated rather generously in the area of 'spot a thing in the environment'.

Quote:
As to your other commnet I think Observation (in its' area of valid targets) does work passively. Such as when the GM tells you to roll v. Observation to spot something concealed or of tactical interest in your vicinity that you did not even know to look for.
I'm not sure if there's an ambiguity at play. Being on the lookout is active. But e.g. Observation doesn't help when you're sleeping or resting. IIRC there's even a Krommquote to that end.

Quote:
If I was to start House Ruling Offical Skills out of existence (rather than limiting them firmly) Observation might be one. I think we may ahve shown that it does not have a good defintion and it might be mostly a Skill of gM convenience i.e. "Roll to spot the thing of importance to this adventure.".

Of course, that takes us back to one of the criticisms of Search and Rescue Skill though I could define S&R clealry enough for my purposes "This is the trained Skill to actively look for persons in distress or facing a threat from their immediate environment.".
Oh sure, if I were reworking Attributes, Secondaries, and Skills (which I try to from time to time), I'd merge Observation and Per into a general 'Notice' trait, leaving Empathy/Body Language into a separate trait. But that's if.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #44
Phil Masters

I take Observation to be trained, systematic perception. If you're watching a bank, Per will give you that there are guards, and maybe "lots" or "few" guards; Observation will let you come away with a good guess at the guard rota. And because you're trained only to look when you need to, you're a lot less noticeable about it; your eyes flick over at the right moment while you drink your coffee across the street.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #45
ravenfish

Quote:
The lack of any form of specialization in what it does would simply make Observation a universal replacement for Perception. That would make no sense pointswise.
Seems fair to me- Observation is 4 points per level; Perception costs 5, and also boosts a number of (non-Observation) skills.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #46
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Negative modifiers due to distance or even speed are not usually considered as a form of "concealment" and I wouldn't expect Observation to train you to overcome those.
You mean aside from where Observation is specifically noted as being used to overcome distance and/or concealment, and speed is really note a thing generally on it's own?

Quote:
The lack of any form of specialization in what it does would simply make Observation a universal replacement for Perception. That would make no sense pointswise.
So in what way does Observation boost other Perception based skills?

Quote:
I beleive Observation has to be specialized in its' valid targets to at least some degree.
In what manner?

Note, I agree and limit Observation to alert/active spotting, despite it having listed passive uses. But things in the "But then what use is Observation until it's bought up to Perception?" which is a bit of a problem for these types of skills.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #47
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I take Observation to be trained, systematic perception. If you're watching a bank, Per will give you that there are guards, and maybe "lots" or "few" guards; Observation will let you come away with a good guess at the guard rota. And because you're trained only to look when you need to, you're a lot less noticeable about it; your eyes flick over at the right moment while you drink your coffee across the street.
Sounds like a good explanation to me. I also think of it as including a very limited bit of acting in looking without appearing to be.
I really do not have a problem with Observation, Shadowing, and Stealth as I see them as different though related (see earlier post).
As for this Search and Rescue skill I have to wait till I see the writeup.
One skill idea I like is a professional skill that allows improvements of various defaults as Techniques or even Skill Substitution perks.
If this skill acts kind of like that I'm good with it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
search and rescue, skill of the week