Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #31
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: The creation of a Sin-Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
(having Cosmic fun with IT:DR and IT:Diffuse to help in building effective invulnerability), but in the end, thought better of it.
Only because I have this already figured out:

"Effective Invulnerability" [292] ([77] if using Multiplicative Modifiers)
Insubstantiality (Affect Substantial (+100%; Always On, Physically Inconvenient, -20%), +80%) (Cosmic, Irresistible Defense, +300%) (Always On, -50%) (No Permeation, -50%) (No Vertical Move, -10%) (Noisy, -5%)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #32
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Only because I have this already figured out:

"Effective Invulnerability" [292] ([77] if using Multiplicative Modifiers)
Insubstantiality (Affect Substantial (+100%; Always On, Physically Inconvenient, -20%), +80%) (Cosmic, Irresistible Defense, +300%) (Always On, -50%) (No Permeation, -50%) (No Vertical Move, -10%) (Noisy, -5%)
Cool! I might just use that for some cases of invulnerability in my games. But not all forms. My main issue with using Insubstantiality for some invulnerability builds is that it doesn't allow "blocking" - the damage goes through you, and if someone is standing behind you, your presence won't stop any damage from hitting them. I know it's a minor thing, maybe. But the way that you often see invulnerability (especially invulnerability to normal weapons, for instance werewolves immune to weapons not made of silver) in movies and TV, it usually gives the appearance more of limited Extreme Regeneration and limited Unkillable (1 or 2, rarely 3), and also often Supernatural Durability thrown into the mix. Then again, the invulnerability of many cinematic vampires to bullets often looks like they just "pass through" (ala Insubstantiality).
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #33
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Cool! I might just use that for some cases of invulnerability in my games. But not all forms. My main issue with using Insubstantiality for some invulnerability builds is that it doesn't allow "blocking" - the damage goes through you, and if someone is standing behind you, your presence won't stop any damage from hitting them. I know it's a minor thing, maybe. But the way that you often see invulnerability (especially invulnerability to normal weapons, for instance werewolves immune to weapons not made of silver) in movies and TV, it usually gives the appearance more of limited Extreme Regeneration and limited Unkillable (1 or 2, rarely 3), and also often Supernatural Durability thrown into the mix. Then again, the invulnerability of many cinematic vampires to bullets often looks like they just "pass through" (ala Insubstantiality).
No permeation, thereby no pass through, and the character's actions always affect the substantial. Other insubstantial too, but you can limit that away if it is inappropriate. You could also apply an accessibility "except against silver" or even "only against silver".

I've used the build as one of the traits that define godhood. "We can't hurt him!" "Right." "What do we do now?" "Try talking?"
Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
No permeation, thereby no pass through,
"
People don't have to to be insubstantial for bullets to pass through their bodies. In fact that's what usually happens.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #35
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
People don't have to to be insubstantial for bullets to pass through their bodies. In fact that's what usually happens.
*nods*

My point was that possessing this power-build isn't going to make it any easier for the bullet to go through the character than it would otherwise be if they didn't have this power.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #36
JCurwen3

Quote:
No permeation, thereby no pass through, and the character's actions always affect the substantial. Other insubstantial too, but you can limit that away if it is inappropriate. You could also apply an accessibility "except against silver" or even "only against silver".

I've used the build as one of the traits that define godhood. "We can't hurt him!" "Right." "What do we do now?" "Try talking?"
Where does the "No permeation" come from? I couldn't find it - is it a house rule (if so, how did you calculate -50%)?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #37
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Where does the "No permeation" come from? I couldn't find it - is it a house rule (if so, how did you calculate -50%)?
Unmodified Insubstantiality is [80]. Unmodified Permeation is [40]. Insubstantiality includes Permeation. Removing Permeation is [-40] which, in context, is [-50%].

(Permeation can be described as rather limited version of Insubstantiality.)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #38
Orienda

Other sin-eater options
–Mind Probe (sins of the subject only, -50%)
The Sin Eater knows all the details of the sins he eats

–Affliction (Luck) Self Control Rolls only -60%
After eating someone's sins, they get a bonus to actively resist their disadvantages.

Of course, social regard would also be very important, and perhaps all you need if you want to play up the roleplaying portion and play down any mechanical effects, in combination with stigma.
Orienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #39
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orienda View Post
Other sin-eater options
–Mind Probe (sins of the subject only, -50%)
The Sin Eater knows all the details of the sins he eats
The first thing I think of is "Blackmail Material! Yes!"

Even Sin-Eaters gotta get paid.

Quote:
Of course, social regard would also be very important, and perhaps all you need if you want to play up the roleplaying portion and play down any mechanical effects, in combination with stigma.
Yep. It is easier to model as a mostly social religious ritual with some supernatural effectiveness. But this is GURPS. We like building powers to do things. *grins*
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #40
Refplace

Affliction Zeroed (Cosmic; fresh start in the rolls of the afterlife)
Then a Affliction for Rep either for or against (alterante abilities) that you use after the zero to send them to Heaven or hell.
And I think in a campaign where the afterlife s an important facet this is an ability worth paying for, especially so its more rare and these Sin Eaters are sought after. You just dont want them in your neighborhood.
And I like the Mind Probe for knowing the Sins too :)
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, power build