Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: The creation of a Sin-Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Damnation and Salvation are big themes in the setting, she wants to be able to mete out her own justice since she views both the Host and the Damned as self-serving manipulative entities.
Sending someone to 'Heaven' dominated by The Host isn't something I'd consider a good thing to do if I also consider The Host to be self serving manipulative entities.

Where does her "absolving them of sins" power send them after they die?

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I was a bit vague. I don't want to create a mechanic to represent sins...I think that would just be silly but you bring up a good point, how does one measure sin in a meta-game view.

Gah. Overthinking...
I nominate disadvantages as a measure of sin, going with the idea that people are tormented by their sins and so suffer for bearing them.

Absent using disadvantages, you really need to define what sin is, mechanically, so that her power can meaningfully interact with it.

Quote:
Hmm...Negate Disadvantage...must break out Powers now.
Powers, pg 41. +10% / point of disadvantage.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Sending someone to 'Heaven' dominated by The Host isn't something I'd consider a good thing to do if I also consider The Host to be self serving manipulative entities.

Where does her "absolving them of sins" power send them after they die?
The Host doesn't have total control, basically everyone gets their own heaven, and while they can't meddle but so much they can still meddle. Essentially heave and hell are what you make it, if you think you are guilty you go downstairs (which would give sociopaths a free ride except some crimes scar the soul in such a way that regardless of what you think you're going down the elevator; same thing with certain selfless acts).

Quote:
I nominate disadvantages as a measure of sin, going with the idea that people are tormented by their sins and so suffer for bearing them.

Absent using disadvantages, you really need to define what sin is, mechanically, so that her power can meaningfully interact with it.
Okay, that seems like a good yardstick but there are *numerous* disadvantages to be negated...how would you handle that for a affliction. I would think something like a Wildcard! Powers might do it, except use it for modifiers. Or perhaps Modular Abilities (a route I don't look forward too...)

Quote:
Powers, pg 41. +10% / point of disadvantage.
Thanks, I found it as soon as the thread popped up on the browser. :)

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Figleaf23
Banned

I would echo Sunrunner's Fire on this.

The first challenge is to operationalize the in-setting meaning of what she is doing.

What happens if someone dies without a Sin-Eater? Are the dead still 'in' the campaign somehow? How/why does it affect the PCs where a dead soul goes?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Yeah I thought of that but it doesn't work the way I wanted it too. From what I've read (very little) being a sin-eater historically wasn't a Good Thing(TM) you took all the sin of others onto yourself and regardless of whether you lived a righteous life or not...you went to hell.
The way I have seen it portrayed, being a Sin Eater was a form of self-sacrifice, and a calling a person pursued despite being treated like an untouchable, and usually people already in untouchable situations would be chosen.

A sin-eater however had the power to go "on strike" if they were too badly treated, and they could expect *not* to go to hell as long as there was someone to take their place when they died - perhaps a relative who could negotiate better terms or would expect redress for mistreatment of the previous sin-eater before agreeing to take up the calling.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Okay, that seems like a good yardstick but there are *numerous* disadvantages to be negated...how would you handle that for a affliction. I would think something like a Wildcard! Powers might do it, except use it for modifiers. Or perhaps Modular Abilities (a route I don't look forward too...)
(Negated Disadvantage, up to 100 points, +1000% (Cosmic: Can Negate Any Disadvantage of Lesser Value, +50%)) +1500%.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
The way I have seen it portrayed, being a Sin Eater was a form of self-sacrifice, and a calling a person pursued despite being treated like an untouchable, and usually people already in untouchable situations would be chosen.

A sin-eater however had the power to go "on strike" if they were too badly treated, and they could expect *not* to go to hell as long as there was someone to take their place when they died - perhaps a relative who could negotiate better terms or would expect redress for mistreatment of the previous sin-eater before agreeing to take up the calling.
Good to know! :) Thanks Jeff.

Quote:
(Negated Disadvantage, up to 100 points, +1000% (Cosmic: Can Negate Any Disadvantage of Lesser Value, +50%)) +1500%.
I like it, its going on the list :) Thanks SF.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
malloyd

Quote:
Assuming there is a Hell, and if you do bad things you go there. You can do bad things all the way up to your death and as long as the sin eater is there at the end you go to heaven...because they take your sin (or some such).

Huh. that might be a idea there, some sort of technique for Religious Ritual....not bad.
In the sort of setting where it's possible to doubt heaven and hell and "sin" isn't objectively defined in any agreed upon way, then yeah, it's mostly a performance art of some sort. Religious Ritual is as good as any. Any personality changes as a result of having your sins eaten would have to come from the character being transformed - i.e. it functions as a valid excuse for spending points to buy off your sin related disadvantages, same as successful psychotherapy would.

In a setting where it had a little more effect, I'd look at the Brainwashing skill, though that's not actually defined much either.

As a Power, Affliction is the wrong base to start with. It's Mind Control with Conditioning.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #18
David Johnston2

The first thing you need to decide is what the game effects of sin are. Is there a Detect Sin spell or advantage? Do sin laden bodies or spirits come back as undead? Is sin a magical power source? If all it does is improve a dying person's odds of making it to a better afterlife then the effects are fundamentally social and the supernatural effects can be handed with a perk.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
In the sort of setting where it's possible to doubt heaven and hell and "sin" isn't objectively defined in any agreed upon way, then yeah, it's mostly a performance art of some sort. Religious Ritual is as good as any. Any personality changes as a result of having your sins eaten would have to come from the character being transformed - i.e. it functions as a valid excuse for spending points to buy off your sin related disadvantages, same as successful psychotherapy would.

In a setting where it had a little more effect, I'd look at the Brainwashing skill, though that's not actually defined much either.

As a Power, Affliction is the wrong base to start with. It's Mind Control with Conditioning.
It is supposed to work on living people? Or only in the dead ones? I had understood the second option.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
It is supposed to work on living people? Or only in the dead ones? I had understood the second option.
Something you do to a living person just before they die, usually. Though I imagine the principle can be applied to a recently dead person just as easily.

I just assumed the character was targeting the subject's soul which doesn't necessarily require the subject to be living at the time.

Tags
magic, power build