Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default [Powers] Time-Sense Alteration Build

This is for an NPC for a superhero game I'm in. I'm thinking I've got these abilities priced properly, but I'm not entirely sure.

The character in general is a supervillain known as Time-Twister, who is able to mess with how others perceive the flow of time. He's got two main effects: an area effect field which causes people to feel sluggish, and an a more selective feature which allows him to make people see their surroundings in slow motion (think the Matrix's "bullet-time", for an extreme case).

Slow Them Down: Affliction (Disadvantage: Decreased Time Rate, +100%; Negated Advantage: Altered Time Rate 6, +600%; Area Effect, 64 yd radius, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Psionic, -10%) [111/level]

Speed Them Up: Affliction (Advantage: Altered Time Rate 2, +100%; Malediction: Speed/Range Table, +150%; Psionic, -10%) [34/level]

He's able to use both at once. The "Slow Them Down" is not necessarily centered on him (although it usually is). Should "Slow Them Down" be a Malediction as well?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: [Powers] Time-Sense Alteration Build

ATR doesn't technically give different perception of time, it makes them genuinely faster. Altered perception is really the domain of ETS.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
ATR doesn't technically give different perception of time, it makes them genuinely faster. Altered perception is really the domain of ETS.
So... what's the disadvantageous form of ETS?

The idea is that he's causing his side to move like speedsters, while everyone else is made to move slower than usual.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post

The idea is that he's causing his side to move like speedsters, while everyone else is made to move slower than usual.
There isn't really one, but you want to negate ETS as well on the Slow Them Down build, and provide it on the Speed Them Up one. Also, if one's a Malediction, I'd probably make them both work the same way in terms of resistance rolls.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Edges

Quote:
If this is what you want, you don't need ETS. You could describe to the PCs that things look sped up around them for flavor without it having any game effect other than giving them DTR.

As for your question about whether they should both be maledictions, I'd say yes. They're not blocked by DR and they don't have acc., shots, 1/2D range, etc.

I'm not sure about the "Negated Advantage: Altered Time Rate 6, +600%". I'd probably just say every level of DTR inflicted removes a level of ATR. If my character paid 600 points for ATR 6 and my buddies didn't , I'd still like to be the fast guy in the party even when we face the Time-Twister. I would imagine advantages like ATR 2 would be much more common than ATR 6 (then again, I don't know about your PCs). So a guy with ATR 2 fighting a Time-Twister minion in the presence of the Time-Twister himself would only have ATR 1 against someone with ATR 2. The PC would get 2 maneuvers for every 3 of the minion's. Whereas the PC's buddy with no ATR gets 1 maneuver for every 6 of the minion. In both cases, the PCs are at a severe disadvantage. But this way, the PC with ATR still gets to be cool.

Also, 1 maneuver to 6 is pretty extreme. It might end up being overkill if the Time-Twister really has it in for the PCs. A DTR 1 affliction on one side with a ATR 1 beneficial affliction on the other side gives 4 moves for every 1. That's a big enough challenge as it is.

Then again, you know the PCs. Maybe they are suited for this level of opponent.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
This is for an NPC for a superhero game I'm in. I'm thinking I've got these abilities priced properly, but I'm not entirely sure.

The character in general is a supervillain known as Time-Twister, who is able to mess with how others perceive the flow of time. He's got two main effects: an area effect field which causes people to feel sluggish, and an a more selective feature which allows him to make people see their surroundings in slow motion (think the Matrix's "bullet-time", for an extreme case).

Slow Them Down: Affliction (Disadvantage: Decreased Time Rate, +100%; Negated Advantage: Altered Time Rate 6, +600%; Area Effect, 64 yd radius, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Psionic, -10%) [111/level]

Speed Them Up: Affliction (Advantage: Altered Time Rate 2, +100%; Malediction: Speed/Range Table, +150%; Psionic, -10%) [34/level]

He's able to use both at once. The "Slow Them Down" is not necessarily centered on him (although it usually is). Should "Slow Them Down" be a Malediction as well?
I would make both maledictions, and maybe even slap on a +20% Link; you might want to consider using Emanation on 'Slow Them Down' . I would also suggest the following build instead of the one you have, it costs more, but could be downright awesome in game play. Also, don't forget, afflicting advantages are +10% per point, not +1% like disadvantages (something I forgot too) so your second build would cost 225/level.

Speed Them Up: Affliction 1 (Advantage, Altered Time Rate, margin-based, +3000%; Cancellation, +10%; Malediction 2, +150%; Psionic, -10%) [325/level]. Using this they gain ATR equal to the margin of failure (if resisting) instead of just gaining ATR 2.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 05-03-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: wrong percentage
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Speed Them Up: Affliction 1 (Advantage, Altered Time Rate, margin-based, +300%; Cancellation, +10%; Malediction 2, +150%; Psionic, -10%) [55/level]. Using this they gain ATR equal to the margin of failure (if resisting) instead of just gaining ATR 2.
Where's Cancellation from? I don't see it in either Characters, Powers, or Supers (the three main books I've been building from).

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-09-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Where's Cancellation from? I don't see it in either Characters, Powers, or Supers (the three main books I've been building from).
GURPS Psionic Powers, basically lets the character end his affliction whenever he wants. PP is definitely something to pick up, it's very useful for designing powers or even inspiration.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
There isn't really one, but you want to negate ETS as well on the Slow Them Down build, and provide it on the Speed Them Up one. Also, if one's a Malediction, I'd probably make them both work the same way in terms of resistance rolls.
Hmm... Dunno about negating the whole of Enhanced Time Sense. Maybe it would be enough to just negate Combat Reflexes, if you can turn off an inherent bit like that. The perception that normally comes with Altered Time Rate should be enough w/o providing ETS with the bump, I think.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Mailanka

Quote:

There isn't one, but you're imagining where everything LOOKS like it's going really fast, right? Enhanced Time Sense is about being able to comprehend everything going on around you very thoroughly, so the opposite would be everything seems to be going so fast you just can't "keep up."

Confused (B129) seems to fit the bill.

Tags
power build