Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-07-2022, 02:45 AM   #1
Yenaldlooshi

Default GCA5: How to create a Bard in GCA5?

I have just installed GCA5 and am trying to input a bard from the DFRPG professional template.

I am missing 3 advantages, 6 spells, 12 equipment items from the default.gds.

I am not sure how to best add DFRPG to my library so that I can use the items missing from the default.gds that I need that came with the install.

Are the DFRPG.gdf files used for previous versions of GCA compatible?

Also, which of those are authoritative for DFRPG? I see many things are warning not to install previous versions, but how do I know what is the latest version?

Is there a place to get "one-stop shopping" for the right resources for this application? I find we have the forum, but with links to places that may or may not work; repository, blog, onedrive etc.

Any advice or specific help would be appreciated.
Yenaldlooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA5: How to create a Bard in GCA5?

Making a Dungeon Fantasy Library and starting a Bard

To start, I created a video and posted it on YouTube: How to create a library and start a bard for DFRPG It's my first, and not great audio, but there it is.

That should quickly cover creating a library and starting a new character using that library.

Making Updates

I updated the file for Dungeon Fantasy RPG today. Please use Check for Updates from the Help menu to launch the Package Manager, which will allow you to automatically download and install the updated files.

That file, included with GCA in the \worldbooks\ folder, is the authoritative source for DFRPG right now.

When there is an update to GCA itself, you will be told about it in the Package Manager, but the Package Manager can not automatically install updates for GCA itself, only data. To install a GCA update, you must download the GURPS_Character_Assistant.zip file from your Warehouse 23 account, and run the setup program that it contains. It's the same as installing GCA for the first time, but if you already have GCA installed, it uses a quicker install with fewer questions to install the updated version over the top of the existing installation.

What's Legal

There's still a lot of reference around here to GCA4 stuff, you're right. It will take a long time to clear a lot of that away. For books and data files, that's mostly okay, though, because most GCA4 data will work with GCA5. There are only some minor adjustments or incompatibilities on that level (such as Cultural Familiarities and Languages having their own lists, now).

Old character sheets and exporters, however, do NOT work with GCA5, so you can only use ones made specifically for GCA5.

Right now, almost everything needed for GCA is either included, or available through the Package Manager (Help > Check for Updates). The Package Manager has an Optional Packages tab, and you'll find additional content available there, for things that are not included with GCA.

The End

I hope that answers some of your questions.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:55 AM   #3
Yenaldlooshi

Thank you! I will work on all the information you gave me here and advise if I have any follow up questions. Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2022, 07:11 PM   #4
Yenaldlooshi

Ok! I followed the video and entered my bard it worked very well! Better than anything I have used before. Here are the current issues I found that I need to find the resolution or it needs a resolution:

• Bard Template missing Odious Personal habit (Constant Humming or Singing) (DFRPG:A17)
• Equipment: How to add power items? (DFRPG:A115)
• Equipment: Gem of healing? (DFRPG:A118)
• Equipment: Extra set of Clothing (DFRPG:A110)
• Disadvantages: How to record quirk points spent on extra money? (DFRPG:A95)
Best way to record different arrow types: Bodkin, cutting, flaming (DFRPG:A104
Old 06-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #5
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Making a Dungeon Fantasy Library and starting a Bard

To start, I created a video and posted it on YouTube: ...
Thanks. Your video helped clear up some things of me as well. You should make some more. You have a very pleasant voice.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
Thanks. Your video helped clear up some things of me as well. You should make some more. You have a very pleasant voice.
Thanks. I would be happy to do more if I knew what people needed to see. I'm sure I'll add more as we go on. (And hopefully I'll find my better mic.)

Last edited by Armin; 06-09-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenaldlooshi View Post
Ok! I followed the video and entered my bard it worked very well! Better than anything I have used before. Here are the current issues I found that I need to find the resolution or it needs a resolution:

• Bard Template missing Odious Personal habit (Constant Humming or Singing) (DFRPG:A17)
• Equipment: How to add power items? (DFRPG:A115)
• Equipment: Gem of healing? (DFRPG:A118)
• Equipment: Extra set of Clothing (DFRPG:A110)
• Disadvantages: How to record quirk points spent on extra money? (DFRPG:A95)
Best way to record different arrow types: Bodkin, cutting, flaming (DFRPG:A104
I will try to get the missing items added soon.

In the mean time, you can use the _New Equipment item to add missing equipment yourself. Or, in general, add something similar from the list, then edit it to match what you need.

Power items can be anything. Note it in the name extension, or in the description, or highlight it a different color. That's up to you.

For points spent on money, take the advantage Trading Character Points for Money.

I thought we had the arrow heads in there. Apparently not, so I'll look into what we should do for that, too.

Last edited by Armin; 06-09-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:05 PM   #8
Yenaldlooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I will try to get the missing items added soon.

In the mean time, you can use the _New Equipment item to add missing equipment yourself. Or, in general, add something similar from the list, then edit it to match what you need.

Power items can be anything. Note it in the name extension, or in the description, or highlight it a different color. That's up to you.

For points spent on money, take the advantage Trading Character Points for Money.

I thought we had the arrow heads in there. Apparently not, so I'll look into what we should do for that, too.

Thanks again for responding!

• Equipment: Power Items. For Power Items, what I would hope for would be an item under equipment where I can search for "Power Item", and then have it open up asking me to specify the "description" of the item I am imbuing as a power item. This does not need to be data-linked to any other item on the list since, as you said, it could be anything at all. At least I could write "pebble" or "underwear" or "Rapier" just so that item name could appear in my equipment list as "Power Item: pebble". Then I would like it to ask me either what $ amount of worth I wish to set, and then give the energy level of the power item or let me set the energy level of the item and let the money default to the minimum that must be spent to get to that level (which is probably more useful). Also I should be able to enter "weight of item if not already listed in equipment". In this manner, a power item might be have two entries; it's mundane entry if it is already listed in equipment and a separate entry just to add its "Power Item" features; level and cost.

• Equipment: Arrow Types; For arrow types, I am fine for now listing arrows twice or more with the count of how many of each. For example; I have changed the name on one grouping to say "Arrow: Bodkin Point". Are there any problems that can occur from changing that field in that manner? I would love to see in my Ranged Weapons Table, *all* of the table entries for all the possible points I could use, regardless if I have them in my inventory. Though this can be set where it will show the entry only if I have that type of point later if you enter them in.

Last edited by Yenaldlooshi; 06-09-2022 at 09:08 PM. Reason: extra clarification
Old 06-10-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
• Equipment: Power Items. For Power Items, what I would hope for would be an item under equipment where I can search for "Power Item", and then have it open up asking me to specify the "description" of the item I am imbuing as a power item. This does not need to be data-linked to any other item on the list since, as you said, it could be anything at all. At least I could write "pebble" or "underwear" or "Rapier" just so that item name could appear in my equipment list as "Power Item: pebble". Then I would like it to ask me either what $ amount of worth I wish to set, and then give the energy level of the power item or let me set the energy level of the item and let the money default to the minimum that must be spent to get to that level (which is probably more useful). Also I should be able to enter "weight of item if not already listed in equipment". In this manner, a power item might be have two entries; it's mundane entry if it is already listed in equipment and a separate entry just to add its "Power Item" features; level and cost.
I may be able to add something like this, given time. It may be easier to create a modifier that could be added to any item to make it a Power Item. Something along both lines should be doable, but maybe not as fully featured as what you've described.

I'll have to dig into things and see better how they work and how costs and whatnot work, and how to fit it into what I have to work with.

Quote:
• Equipment: Arrow Types; For arrow types, I am fine for now listing arrows twice or more with the count of how many of each. For example; I have changed the name on one grouping to say "Arrow: Bodkin Point". Are there any problems that can occur from changing that field in that manner? I would love to see in my Ranged Weapons Table, *all* of the table entries for all the possible points I could use, regardless if I have them in my inventory. Though this can be set where it will show the entry only if I have that type of point later if you enter them in.
Yes, doing that should be just fine. I usually encourage people to use Name Extensions instead of editing names, so it would be "Arrow (Bodkin Point)" instead, but that's because some features of GCA work based on names of things. I don't think most equipment will have any trouble with any renaming at all.

And what you've done, creating different arrows with different heads, is pretty much what I'll be doing in the file when I get the time for the updates.

Listing each type of arrow head as a mode is probably what I'll be doing as well. There is no ability to 'hide' modes right now, so they'd all be visible all the time, but it's pretty easy to delete modes you don't like.

(I have some thoughts on an ammunition system that would add or remove modes based on the ammo you have, but I haven't had time to work out how it might actually work in practice.)
Old 06-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #10
Yenaldlooshi

Thanks again for the advice above. I will use the name extensions.

Next Bard issue;

Disadvantages- Compulsive Carousing (DFRPG:A59) (note; not to be confused with the skill with similar name):

This disadvantage is similar to Overconfidence in the fact that it comes both with a positive reaction modifier and a negative reaction modifier based on conditions. I see the field populated in Overconfidence, but I do not see that field at all for Compulsive Carousing. Also, there is nothing reflecting this in the Reaction Modifiers section of my character sheet print out.

Since I know it would take you time to put in that correction, I am wondering how I can do that myself. How can I make that "Conditional Bonus Gen" field appear Compulsive Carousing in the same way?

I think I can simply copy/paste the same info from Overconfidence just changing the values and the conditions, but correct me if I am wrong. Please advise