Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-22-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default GCA5 Adding Punch back in?

So I removed the Punch stats on the Hand Weapons table and I can't figure out how to add it back.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:58 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA5 Adding Punch back in?

What did you do to remove Punch?
Old 02-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
What did you do to remove Punch?
On the punch item line on the Hand weapons table, you click on the mods tool and it says remove combat table entry. Then it's gone!
Old 02-22-2022, 05:12 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Well, it does warn you!

It does look like that modifier is more aggressive than it needs to be. I think probably removing just the reach() tag would have been sufficient, but it instead removes damage(), damtype(), minst(), and reach().

Nevertheless! Here is what you need to do:

1) Go to Attributes, find Punch. Click it. Click on Modifiers. REMOVE the "Remove Punch Mode" modifier. If you don't do this, it'll just get re-applied after the next steps, so you must do this.

2) OK back to GCA.

3) Click on Resynchronize on the Character menu. Check the Attributes box. Click OK.

Once the Resync is finished, your Punch should have returned.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #5
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Well, that restored it, but I still have a problem. So what I want to do is get the Punch line to show the correct skill and damage for my wildcard Fis! skill. Is there not a way to list in the main dialog box there what skill is to be used, rather edit the various modes and advanced dialogs? I have the same problem with all the other combat techniques I want to base on the wildcard skill.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Well, that restored it, but I still have a problem. So what I want to do is get the Punch line to show the correct skill and damage for my wildcard Fis! skill.
Okay.

Quote:
Is there not a way to list in the main dialog box there what skill is to be used, rather edit the various modes and advanced dialogs?
It's not that simple. Using an item in two different ways may literally use two different skills; for example, a bastard sword uses different skills when used one-handed versus two-handed. That's one of the reasons modes exist.

Quote:
I have the same problem with all the other combat techniques I want to base on the wildcard skill.
You can't get out of this without some advanced features. But I can still help you.

Click on your Fist! wildcard skill, click on Edit, click on Advanced.

Click on Add Tag. In the tag field type subsfor. In the Value field, type "SK:Brawling", "SK:Karate". (It appears this tag isn't in the known-tags list that shows help in this dialog. Sorry about that, I'll get that added in for a future update.)

OK back out to GCA.

GCA will now be able to use Fist! for defaults and some other things (such as skills used in modes) where Brawling and Karate are referenced. Basically, Fist! can *be* Brawling and Karate.

If you need Fist! to also be some other skills, enter them in the list for subsfor() in the same fashion as we did Brawling and Karate, using prefix-tags like SK: for skills, separating with commas, and preferably enclosing the names in quotes, all as shown.

SubsFor() is a new feature to GCA5, and it should make doing wildcard skills much easier. (But, it *is* new, and may not be complete or perfect. Please let me know if you have issues.)