Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #41
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Which traits are Forbidden in your games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Weirdness Magnet Remix
While I like the description, I can't say I'd want to call this Weirdness Magnet. Trouble Magnet, more likely.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:29 AM   #42
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
I'm my experience Weirdness Magnet is just a convoluted way to order a DM "Now entertain me! You Must! It's in the book! Me! Me! Me!"
When I GM, WM is -5 points of "GM has an excuse for unlikely coincidences aimed at you" and -10 points of other stuff, and it usually is more like "Unlucky [-10]" than -2 reactions [-10].

It can be entertaining for the players, but it is not pleasant for most PCs. (You can never say *all PCs*, cuz some PCs be cray yo.)

Players who want "fun" WM on their PCs can take a -5 version, or even a "generally beneficial" version by combining it with Serendipity.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #43
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
While I like the description, I can't say I'd want to call this Weirdness Magnet. Trouble Magnet, more likely.
Yeah, Trouble Magnet fits that better. Most of it isn't weird, after all.

Another form of Alternate Weirdness Magnet/Trouble Magnet that I've occasionally thought about (which I though was in GURPS Mysteries, but if so I haven't found it again) is Murder Magnet: Like Miss Marple, Jessica Fletcher, Brother Cadfael, Father Brown, and other fictional 'amateur sleuths,' people have a habit of getting dead around you, though usually not in a way that has the cops thinking you must have done it (if you live in a time and place that has cops as we think of them).

It is often accompanied by some form of charisma, allowing you to convince law enforcement to let you help - if the police know you well, they may begin accepting you as a consultant with minimal protest. Without it, you need to have major connections, or be some place where a professional police force either doesn't exist (e.g. Cadfael, who lived mostly in Medieval England, with the books taking place during The Anarchy), or is local and badly undermanned (Cabot Cove mostly seems like this, IIRC).

Without charisma, connections, lots of points in social skills (and/or an appropriate Talent), or some other balancing advantage, Murder Magnet would probably see the character in jail a lot, so making it worth -15 points may be appropriate.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #44
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Without charisma, connections, lots of points in social skills (and/or an appropriate Talent), or some other balancing advantage, Murder Magnet would probably see the character in jail a lot, so making it worth -15 points may be appropriate.
I think the problem is that unless the GM really likes driving off the map, the Murder Magnet disad will be a campaign conceit and is not going to land you in any real trouble (though not having social advantages/skills may make it harder to solve the case). In general, you're not going to find someone who will create an elaborate mystery and have Lestrade or Gumshoe toss them in a cell five minutes into the case.

Quote:
Yeah, Trouble Magnet fits that better. Most of it isn't weird, after all.
Well, I think the "weirdness" of the magnet has to be more of a function of the setting than the magnet. A disadvantage that spawns magic items, talking dogs and interdimensional portals is hardly generic enough to be used in any given setting. A magic ring that makes cats react to you like you're made of catnip would be real strange, but in a fantasy setting it might just be a long forgotten fad. Getting sued for abandonment by Felicia you met briefly at a party would be pretty strange, but if that's a legal hack to escape servitude and bioroids are all over the place, then it's not that strange. Being confused with someone who's openly loathed would have been pretty strange, but in these days of social media where you may become infamous without anyone knowing your face, it isn't that strange anymore.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:34 PM   #45
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I tell my players not to take common sense. I lack the ability to tell if I failed in my description or if the player is being reckless, and thus give "are you sure?" warnings by default. sometimes I say its a free campaign advantage if it makes them feel better.

(SNIP)
I don't like this advantage, or "Intuition," either.
Both allow the player to ask the GM what he or she should do.
No, thanks. Hard pass.

Figure it out, yourself -- it's your character.

Also tend to forbid the "villain" disads -- Callous, Sadism, etc.
Bad Temper and Bloodlust don't bother me, so much -- although, I do tend to discourage a player from taking both of them for a single character.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #46
RyanW

Quote:
Another form of Alternate Weirdness Magnet/Trouble Magnet that I've occasionally thought about (which I though was in GURPS Mysteries, but if so I haven't found it again) is Murder Magnet: Like Miss Marple, Jessica Fletcher, Brother Cadfael, Father Brown, and other fictional 'amateur sleuths,' people have a habit of getting dead around you, though usually not in a way that has the cops thinking you must have done it (if you live in a time and place that has cops as we think of them).
That has the same main problem that Weirdness Magnet has, but even more extreme: it either amounts to "the game we intend to play anyway happens" or "stuff is constantly preventing the game we intend to play from happening."

It's somewhat like the ideas of Owns a Ship traits in science fiction. If it isn't what lets the campaign happen, it only lets you escape it.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #47
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Murder Magnet was, I think, an idea proposed by long-time member Sense of Duty (Kittens) here. Back in those days, WM didn't have as bad a rep as it seems to have now, and people were experimenting with variations on the "... Magnet" theme.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #48
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
That has the same main problem that Weirdness Magnet has, but even more extreme: it either amounts to "the game we intend to play anyway happens" or "stuff is constantly preventing the game we intend to play from happening."
These sorts of traits amount to your character (but not so much you as the player) get to be the focus for a while, as the GM feeds you the necessary lines or events to motivate the plot.

Done right I tend to consider "GMs mouthpiece" traits to be perks. You do get some spotlight time, but don't control much. Being the first to hear the plot motivating prophecy [sounds] like it matters; but it's plot motivating, if you ignore it, the GM has to arrange for somebody else to hear it or there's no game tonight. You being the usual route doesn't squeeze out more information (you get whatever the GM needs to motivate the plot), or even change what adventures you have all that much (this is what's prepared, it's this or sandbox, and if the GM put much prep into it, he's not going to throw it away if you force sandbox...)

Done wrong, it's a significant meta-advantage. The GM favors you as the "main character". And don't think the other players don't know it. If you got points back for it too, that only rubs it in.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #49
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
T

Done right I tend to consider "GMs mouthpiece" traits to be perks.
Yeah, these are first cousin to "Operate Plot Device" skills. Vehicle operation or navigation skils are probably the most common examples.

Unless someone has them the adventure doesn't take place but the PC is enabling the GM at least as much as he's aiding himself or the other players. This is why I always wince when I see expensive schemes for having these sorts of Skills.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #50
Alden Loveshade

For traits forbidden (or required, or recommended) in a campaign, I've found the Campaign Planning Form or something similar is very helpful. It not only gives the players something to help them build their characters (and to avoid them having to rebuild), it gives the GM a tool to build and focus the campaign.

https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/resour...gnPlanning.pdf
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, disadvantages