Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-12-2021, 01:44 AM   #61
flyingwombat

Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [FOURTH release out now!]

Is it possible to use the phoenix character sheet?
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #62
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Is it possible to use the phoenix character sheet?
Not the one used with GCA4, no. The technologies behind the two programs are too different. Thomas at one point had a version he updated for GCA5, but that was several years ago and unfortunately he has been radio silent for some time now.

If there is something you need in a sheet, please ask, and I may be able to provide it given time. The tools I've created in Spring Bandit are more flexible than what I had in the Official sheet, and I may be able to adapt or add something that you'd like. I will not attempt to convert Phoenix, though.

Last edited by Armin; 11-12-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #63
flyingwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Not the one used with GCA4, no. The technologies behind the two programs are too different. Thomas at one point had a version he updated for GCA5, but that was several years ago and unfortunately he has been radio silent for some time now.

If there is something you need in a sheet, please ask, and I may be able to provide it given time. The tools I've created in Spring Bandit are more flexible than what I had in the Official sheet, and I may be able to adapt or add something that you'd like. I will not attempt to convert Phoenix, though.
Ok thanks…
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #64
MeddlingMonk

Managed to get GCA5 working on my Linux (Kubuntu 21.10) install. Used PlayOnLinux to create a 32-bit Windows 7 container (the default) with Wine 6.18 and run the installer within it, then added .NET 4.61 (later versions did not work). Seems to be working just fine, even able to update properly, although I haven't tested thoroughly yet.
MeddlingMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #65
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
Managed to get GCA5 working on my Linux (Kubuntu 21.10) install. Used PlayOnLinux to create a 32-bit Windows 7 container (the default) with Wine 6.18 and run the installer within it, then added .NET 4.61 (later versions did not work). Seems to be working just fine, even able to update properly, although I haven't tested thoroughly yet.
Woooo! Thanks for posting!

(Anything in the .Net 4.X series *should* work, but of course the newest is always supposed to be best. I'm honestly not sure how Microsoft incremented them as new OSes came out.)
Old 11-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #66
MeddlingMonk

Quote:
Woooo! Thanks for posting!

(Anything in the .Net 4.X series *should* work, but of course the newest is always supposed to be best. I'm honestly not sure how Microsoft incremented them as new OSes came out.)
I started with "dotnet480", then "dotnet472", "dotnet471", but GCA5 crashed immediately on start with all 3 of those. It finally worked after installing "dotnet461". I have no idea why the later versions failed.

Edit: Just did a bit more research, and have discovered that .NET 5 & 6 are now available natively for Linux. As soon as an Ubuntu 21.10 package has been created, I'll install .NET 6.0 and see if by any chance GCA5 will run natively now...cross your fingers!

Last edited by MeddlingMonk; 11-14-2021 at 10:45 PM. Reason: .NET 5 & 6 info
Old 11-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #67
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
I started with "dotnet480", then "dotnet472", "dotnet471", but GCA5 crashed immediately on start with all 3 of those. It finally worked after installing "dotnet461". I have no idea why the later versions failed.

Edit: Just did a bit more research, and have discovered that .NET 5 & 6 are now available natively for Linux. As soon as an Ubuntu 21.10 package has been created, I'll install .NET 6.0 and see if by any chance GCA5 will run natively now...cross your fingers!
GCA5 is written to .Net Framework 4, and uses WinForms, so the new cross-platform .Net stuff shouldn't apply to it.

I don't believe WinForms is cross-platform, either, so none of my UI (which is quite large), and some of my tools, wouldn't transition even if I wanted to convert up to .Net 6.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #68
MeddlingMonk

Quote:
GCA5 is written to .Net Framework 4, and uses WinForms, so the new cross-platform .Net stuff shouldn't apply to it.

I don't believe WinForms is cross-platform, either, so none of my UI (which is quite large), and some of my tools, wouldn't transition even if I wanted to convert up to .Net 6.
Ah, right. Darn. Oh well, guess we Linux users are still stuck with using Wine to get GCA5 to work. At least it's simpler than getting GCA4 to work!
Old 11-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #69
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Ah, right. Darn. Oh well, guess we Linux users are still stuck with using Wine to get GCA5 to work. At least it's simpler than getting GCA4 to work!
You made it look that way, but you are the first person I am aware of that tried and got it to work! My earlier tests against Mono also claimed not to be compatible, so I am not sure if something in Mono has changed since, or if PlayOnLinux introduces some missing bits.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:57 AM   #70
MeddlingMonk

Quote:
You made it look that way, but you are the first person I am aware of that tried and got it to work! My earlier tests against Mono also claimed not to be compatible, so I am not sure if something in Mono has changed since, or if PlayOnLinux introduces some missing bits.
PlayOnLinux can install the actual .NET libraries and run them through Wine, instead of having to use Mono (you don't actually need PlayOnLinux; it just provides a convenient GUI interface for using Wine + Winetricks).

Tags
gca5