Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
Plane

Default not sure I understand difference between Rapier Wit w/ Words of Power vs Comic

B79's Rapier Wit got expanded with P70's "Words of Power". Possibly not the most ideal name since this is also a term used in 3e's Cabal and 4E's thaumatology... but anyway, I'm looking at what it does.
1) ignores Unfazeable (normally makes immune to influence skills, including Public Speaking, which Rapier Wit normally uses)

2) changes Public Speaking vs. Will to simply Will vs. Will

3) does not require you to speak a language the target understands

4) no -2 penalty to affect those with Clueless and No Sense of Humor
It then goes on to mention taking a +300% Cosmic enhancement in ADDITION to this (total of +400%) you can "instantly stun any mortal!"

I'm not sure what this is meant to refer to though. All I can figure is that anyone w/ Unfazeable (Cosmic +50%) would be immune to Words of Power, so the +300% is buying Irresistible Attack to work against Cosmic Unfazeability?

I'm wondering if I'm missing any other utility to this +300% though, since WOP alone already bypasses a language barrier.

Given that you don't even roll against public speaking anymore, it almost seems conceivable you could use non-audio forms of expressing words (sign language, sending a rude text) to stun foes?

One of the bigger hints is on page 20 of GURPS Powers: "his Rapier Wit and Terror rely on subtle vibrations that radio can’t transmit" implies if you don't take the "Sound" Power limitations that you could normally use Rapier Wit via radio to attack foes from far away using that to amplify your normal speaking distance.

Presumably deaf people would be immune to spoken/radioed word but you could still affect them via the written word or via telepathic speech?

This makes me wonder, if you don't take Words of Power, and you want to stun deaf people w/ Rapier Wit, if you could apply Public Speaking roles to "I make my insults appear as letters written in the air" so that instead of covering their ears to avoid getting Rapier-stunned they need to cover their eyes to protected against Rapiering?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:57 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: not sure I understand difference between Rapier Wit w/ Words of Power vs Comic

It's not no defense allowed, because it's resistable, so it must be irresistible attack. Whatever defenses against words of power exist aren't good against the divine word. This presumably includes Deafness, yes.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:35 PM   #3
Plane

Default Re: not sure I understand difference between Rapier Wit w/ Words of Power vs Comic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Whatever defenses against words of power exist aren't good against the divine word. This presumably includes Deafness, yes.
I could design "irresisble attack" + "hearing-based" on an Innate Attack though, deafness could be a defense against that, so I still think someone needs to be able to process the words you communicate (even if they do not understand the meaning of the words because the language is foreign) for it to work.

If someone was deaf you could probably write the words for them to read for it to work, perhaps? But if they were a deaf+blind I think the only way to affect them might be via Telesend.

I guess maybe Rapier Wit is supposed to be more about a surprising thing you say rather than complex persuasion? Someone unfazeable can't be surprised by non-threatening things.

Quote:
It's not an influence skill? It's Stunning and that's what FCs mostly do? Somebody roasting you so hard that you stand there crying is something that the man with no fear just ignores?
I guess the weird thing is that Public Speaking IS an influence skill... so Indominatible would normally make you immune to influence via Public Speaking, yet when it is used for Rapier Wit, suddenly the skill does influence someone Indomitable?

Unfazeable conversely is a counter to the "Intimidation" skill which almost implies that rapier wit is about intimidation rather than public speaking...
Old 02-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I think the intent of Rapier Wit (Words of Power, Cosmic: Divine) is that the Word speaks directly to your soul. It works on the deaf, in a vacuum, in a box, with a fox.

The God of Genesis said "Let there be light!" when there was literally nothing in existence at all and it worked.

You probably want to PM Kromm if you need Word of God on the Word of God, though.

Public Speaking is not an influence skill. The influence skills are Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Intimidation, Savoir-Faire, Sex Appeal, and Streetwise. B359

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-20-2022 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:58 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
I think the intent of Rapier Wit (Words of Power, Cosmic: Divine) is that the Word speaks directly to your soul. It works on the deaf, in a vacuum, in a box, with a fox.
If it's a standard +300% for Irresistible Attack to be able to bypass Cosmic Unfazeable shouldn't it be extra to be able to communicate in ways you normally could not communicate?

B91 is 30 pts for telsend which drops to 15 for send-only...

I imagine if you could ONLY use telesend for rapier wit that might be some kind of accessibility (ie can't do non-stunning communication) like at least -10% for "only while using".

Plus you could apply a reverse discount to rapier wit like "only while using telesend" so that you could not do non-telepathic stuns.

Quote:
Public Speaking is not an influence skill. The influence skills are Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Intimidation, Savoir-Faire, Sex Appeal, and Streetwise. B359
Ah okay I mixed up, if it did float to one of those skills then IMO indomitable should help.

Sorta moot though since you can doo will v. will w/ WOP though.

Also Im' noticing if you buy reliable +10 +50% (only costs 3 points) it acts like 10 levels of Talent in your Quick Contest so you're pretty guaranteed to stun :)
Old 02-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I don't think "stun any mortal" has anything to do with Unfazeable (Divine +50%), because mortals wouldn't have that. I think it means you can stun any mortal.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:00 PM   #7
Balor Patch

Why is Rapier Wit countered by Unfazeable rather than Indomitable?
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:30 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Why is Rapier Wit countered by Unfazeable rather than Indomitable?
It's not an influence skill? It's Stunning and that's what FCs mostly do? Somebody roasting you so hard that you stand there crying is something that the man with no fear just ignores?

Being mortified by insults is a function of being embarrassed which seems like another way to say being afraid of what other people think about you.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:34 AM   #9
Balor Patch

Thank you, I lost track of the fact that an influence skill is one that can be substituted for a Reaction roll, not simply one (such as Fortune-Telling, Leadership, Panhandling, and Public Speaking) used to influence people. I also lost track that Unfazeable isn't just Fearlessness (Cosmic).
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deaf, public speaking, rapier wit, telesend, words of power