Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: A Question of Strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinV View Post
Wow, I haven't gotten as far as to look at the move rules beyond figuring basic movement. That's crazy. I guess within the confines of the system they work okay, for chases and what not?
The movement rules are internally consistant. They will just sometimes produce odd results by Real World standards. They will produce those results consistantly and predictably once you know what to expext though.

A particularly odd result is related to running at full speed. An average Gurps character is Move 5 and has 10 FP but he will have to slow to half speed after he's lost more than 2/3rds his FP or on the 7th one gone in his case.

Moving at full speed requires a HT roll every 15 seconds and with HT 10 he'll fail half of those rolls on average. 3 minutes means 12 rolls and an average of 6 failures. so whatever "sprinting" means in Gurps it's something an average man can do for more than 3 minutes.

If that average man got his Move up to 6.25 and his FP up to 12 he could run a sub 4 minute mile.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Sprinting is a bit odd in GURPS. Even a realistic character with DX 10 and HT 10 can purchase Basic Speed 7.00 and Basic Move 10 for only 55 CP. The individual is capable of sprinting at 12 yards per second, meaning that they can run a 100-meter in 9.2 seconds or run a mile in less than two and a half minutes.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #13
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Sprinting is a bit odd in GURPS. Even a realistic character with DX 10 and HT 10 can purchase Basic Speed 7.00 and Basic Move 10 for only 55 CP. The individual is capable of sprinting at 12 yards per second, meaning that they can run a 100-meter in 9.2 seconds or run a mile in less than two and a half minutes.
I would take that as a sign that that combination of options is not realistic. +30% is the absolute limit of what might be considered realistic. That adding +30% to something that already has +30% breaks suspension isn't that shocking.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #14
JazzJedi

I was a huge fan of the TSR Top Secret RPG, and in the Top Secret Companion book they have an "Athletic Feat Limits" section where your character had a "Fitness Rating" - Weak (0.15), Average (0.425), Strong (0.65), Super (0.875). You could calculate your character's real world athletic feats by multiplying the world record by this factor. I thought that was simple and effective.

In GURPS, I use the same basic mechanism, and I set the "world record" level to be skill level 20. So if you have Lifting-20, then you can match the world record for your body weight. If you have Running-20, you can match the world record for sprinting, and so forth. For other skill levels, just multiply the world record by your (Skill/20).
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Lifting is a cinematic skill as it works in Gurps, IMO. Technique improves effective lifts some, but no way in Hades can it allow you to lift twice what you could unskilled. Then again extra effort allows unrealistic effects too.
But this is a game of larger than life characters even in an otherwise non-cinematic setting.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #16
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Lifting is a cinematic skill as it works in Gurps, IMO. Technique improves effective lifts some, but no way in Hades can it allow you to lift twice what you could unskilled.
Without spending FP +100% lift only arrives reliably at HT-based Lifting 36. If you do spend FP you can do it at Will-based Lifting Skill 26.

Many unrealistic things occur at Skill levels of 26 to 36.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Without spending FP +100% lift only arrives reliably at HT-based Lifting 36. If you do spend FP you can do it at Will-based Lifting Skill 26.
Yeah, but the level of variance is generally much too high. Max lift is slightly variable, but only by a few percent.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #18
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, but the level of variance is generally much too high. Max lift is slightly variable, but only by a few percent.
Yup, that is the problem with RAW lifting. I devised a way to fix it, using the Trained ST concept from Technical Grappling but it made no lasting impact.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #19
Anthony

What would actually help is a 'controlled conditions' modifier that dramatically reduces the variance of die rolls; most things don't actually have intrinsic variance at the levels RPGs assign them, it's just that there are lots of environmental modifiers that would be a hassle to track directly so we just add randomness.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #20
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I would take that as a sign that that combination of options is not realistic. +30% is the absolute limit of what might be considered realistic. That adding +30% to something that already has +30% breaks suspension isn't that shocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
4e added the ability to just "buy" Speed and Move.

The movement system was created when Move was DX + HT / 4, and DX and HT got more expensive the more you got.

So Move 10 probably meant something like DX 16 HT 16 (Speed 8.0) plus Running 16, which before 4e's reductions to DX and HT and skill costs would cost 164 for the attributes as a starting character (more to build up to during play from lower stats). 150 points in 3e is "full-fledged hero" and 200 is "truly outstanding".

Hmm, maybe more likely DX 13 HT 16 (Speed 7.25) with Running +6 (48 points) - still 138 points.

Part of why I prefer pre-4e costs for things is that I like it to be harder and more expensive to become super-human. I don't want an attempt at "balance" as much as I want representations of where the normal human limits are, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifting, strength