Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #161
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
As for World Building, every gaming blog and website in the world has touched on World Building or so it seems, so its not a hot ticket for me.
This was one of my original concerns when I thought about doing it. Though I think my process is rather unique (as all worldbuilders do).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #162
Kage2020

For what it is worth, while I am generally interested in the world's that are created, what is of more interest to me is why something is done as it follows from the GURPS mantra. That is, start small and K.I.S.S. Which options did you use in Basic, and why? Why did you break out that book, or that rule, or why did you feel the need to modify that rule or that other rule?

It is like when you take a math/science quiz in school and they always tell you to include how you worked it out and not just the result. That process is often if not more insightful than the answer.

Obviously there are going to be some limitations. You might gloss over something that you have already shown somewhere else. After all, once you have seen differentiation from first principles and done it a few times, you really do not need to see it again.

Just a quick thought.

Last edited by Kage2020; 03-17-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: whi lives easier = while <-- Predictive text on Samsung Note. :/
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #163
Christopher R. Rice

That is actually a good idea.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #164
Kage2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
That is actually a good idea.
It is not mine, to be fair. It just seems to be the answer to all the critiques of GURPS recommendations on RPG.net's TRO board--how to see through the supposed crunch to the modularity and efficacy of GURPS.

Either that or I just want to see it and I'm making up excuses. :D
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #165
Christopher R. Rice

Gamemaster's Guidepost: Starting Point Totals

Starting a new campaign? Have mixed feelings about your player character's point value? Want a little guidance on what you should do? Well here ya go, I made something for you.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #166
johndallman
Night Watchman

Interesting post, but it's really not the way I work. I don't try to emulate fiction in other media as more than a general genre, and that's pretty general - RPGs are a medium in their own right, and provide their own examples.

Also, when I start a campaign, I will do so fairly gently. I want to get some idea of the party's actual capabilities, as a combination of character capabilities and players' minds, and the only way to do that is to see how they respond to a few challenges that I can be fairly sure won't kill them all.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #167
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Interesting post, but it's really not the way I work. I don't try to emulate fiction in other media as more than a general genre, and that's pretty general - RPGs are a medium in their own right, and provide their own examples.
We'll have to disagree. I've found more threads than I can count with titles like "How do I run a Dune-like campaign" or "I want to run Lord of the Rings-like epic fantasy." The main problem I've seen in this threads is this: GMs want the feel of the source material - but they don't want to use the points required to achieve it. So you end up with a miserable Amber-Shadow of a campaign and no one is happy because expectations were not met or were dashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Also, when I start a campaign, I will do so fairly gently. I want to get some idea of the party's actual capabilities, as a combination of character capabilities and players' minds, and the only way to do that is to see how they respond to a few challenges that I can be fairly sure won't kill them all.
Neat.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #168
Dwarf99

Quote:
We'll have to disagree. I've found more threads than I can count with titles like "How do I run a Dune-like campaign" or "I want to run Lord of the Rings-like epic fantasy."
I don't think he meant that RPGs were the only valid source material, I think he meant that he's found what's been supplied by RPGs to be adequate. Personally I almost always cherry pick inspirational tidbits. I'm running a TL 3+5 game based on a conversation I had about how to create Modern Fantasy. Computers are "Spirits" from the "Halls of Knowledge" that are assisted by 'lesser program spirits' which sometimes get infected by viruses. The viruses hope to gain power on lesser program spirits so they can materialize as demons.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #169
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I don't think he meant that RPGs were the only valid source material, I think he meant that he's found what's been supplied by RPGs to be adequate. Personally I almost always cherry pick inspirational tidbits. I'm running a TL 3+5 game based on a conversation I had about how to create Modern Fantasy. Computers are "Spirits" from the "Halls of Knowledge" that are assisted by 'lesser program spirits' which sometimes get infected by viruses. The viruses hope to gain power on lesser program spirits so they can materialize as demons.
Ahhh. I'd have to agree, but I've just seen why to many "I want to run Supers with 250 points and have Batman-like characters." That just doesn't work.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #170
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Ahhh. I'd have to agree, but I've just seen why too many "I want to run Supers with 250 points and have Batman-like characters." That just doesn't work.
I tend to regard this as something that people will keep trying, once or twice each, in the process of learning better.

And yes, any sort of fiction can be inspiration for RPGs, but trying to reproduce them exactly doesn't work, as everyone with experience knows. Discworld gets closest of anything I've seen, in part because the original material is heavily influenced by RPGs, but even in that, if one character in a party got to hold the spotlight the way the central character of a Discworld story usually does, the other players would get fed up.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blogs