Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 11-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Default Traveller miniatures in 28mm in US?

Curious if anyone has a great source of Traveller minis? I’m looking for Merchant crews and Scouts and starship crews. Some pistols but basically not full time combatants. I have a number of Heresy minis. Looking for a box of starship crew types.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
mstlaurent

Default Re: Traveller miniatures in 28mm in US?

Ground Zero Games in the UK has a lot of different 25mm sci-fi miniatures, including civilians and lightly armed unarmored figures.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:50 PM   #3
sn0wball

I have been using old Star Wars Minatures and they worked just fine. The game is out of print, but common miniatures are very cheap from online stores. They are more like 30mm and plastic, though, but come pre-painted. The line includes many generic humans and even some Star Wars Aliens that can pass satisfyingly for Vargr and fteirle.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball View Post
I have been using old Star Wars Minatures and they worked just fine. The game is out of print, but common miniatures are very cheap from online stores. They are more like 30mm and plastic, though, but come pre-painted. The line includes many generic humans and even some Star Wars Aliens that can pass satisfyingly for Vargr and fteirle.
I figured it out. Sally4th has anthropomorphic bipedal bodies with combinations of head/tails that can be used to make cat and fox headed miniatures. Their Albedo product line. I'm looking to make Aslan/Vargr respectively.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

I bought a 3d resin printer (Anycubic Photon) and it will print in gorgeous detail at 25-32mm (i print infantry at 15mm that look great). You can get the 3d files, stl, from many places online. You can print a lot of custom minis using files from desktop hero or heroforge or anvil. Thingiverse and other repositories have free files so you can literally print an mountain of resin minis and vehicles in a day. Faster than you can paint or have delivered to your home. I have taught myself to make 3d models, and you can find them here:
https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/safisher/
https://www.thingiverse.com/safisher1941/designs
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
The Colonel

Some of Mantic's Star Saga and other sci-fi stuff might serve, although they are somewhat hampered by a reluctance to sell miniatures as opposed to randomly themed packs...
The Colonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #7
Infojunky

In 28mm, no.

But there are tons in 15mm. On half inch bases they work with all the GDW and FASA deckplans produced for CT and are available from FarFuture.net.

RAFM has all the Traveller licence figures, And there some great figures From Ground Zero Games

"Never let the fans touch your assets"
Bruce Harlick 2007
Infojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #8
David Johansen

RAFM has the Citadel Traveller figures by Alan and Michael Perry. And they're very nice but they don't have all the Metal Magic vehicles in production anymore. I don't know if they have the moulds for the Metal Magic K'kree but they don't have them in production, it may be they're too proprietary. One space dog man is pretty much like another but the K'Kree and Hivers are too unique and specific.

Grenadier did some 25mm Traveller stuff back in the day. I have it but it's not great. Not really horrible but not great. RAFM did ships and some figures for Traveller the New Era back in the day, but they've since destroyed the moulds. I have the Aslan which are okay I guess and the Hiver. There was a set of Reformation Coalition battle dress troopers, I suspect it's this one set in the RAFM USX line but I'm not sure.

Megaminis came next, I've got their K'kree Newts and Vargr but they decided the line wasn't profitable and stopped before doing Aslan or Hivers. So, while I'm pretty well fixed for Traveller myself there's not much available at this time.

North Star Miniatures Star Grave line that will be coming out in a few months has optional alien heads on the sprues.

I'm sculpting some digigrade aliens myself right now but I've never had much luck casting them. I'll try and get some pictures up later this week.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
Infojunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
RAFM has the Citadel Traveller figures by Alan and Michael Perry. And they're very nice but they don't have all the Metal Magic vehicles in production anymore. I don't know if they have the moulds for the Metal Magic K'kree but they don't have them in production, it may be they're too proprietary. One space dog man is pretty much like another but the K'Kree and Hivers are too unique and specific.
You mean Martian Metals, metal magic was a trade name for Hobby Products who did a short run of 15mm Traveller licenced figures as well.

Martian Metals Traveller licenced figures was a much larger line which only the few vehicles from RAFM survived. RAFM was casting for Martian Metals.

Quote:
Grenadier did some 25mm Traveller stuff back in the day. I have it but it's not great. Not really horrible but not great.
Note Ground Zero Games, UNSC hard suits in 25mm match the Grenadine figs in size and general confirmation, while Denizens Ventuirians make great Zhodani. Though I tend to prefer the Phantom Battle Clones from the Space lourds line in that role. em4 sells them labeled as 28mm they are 25mm as all of Hobby Products Space lords were.

Quote:
Megaminis came next, I've got their K'kree Newts and Vargr but they decided the line wasn't profitable and stopped before doing Aslan or Hivers. So, while I'm pretty well fixed for Traveller myself there's not much available at this time.

North Star Miniatures Star Grave line that will be coming out in a few months has optional alien heads on the sprues.

I'm sculpting some digigrade aliens myself right now but I've never had much luck casting them. I'll try and get some pictures up later this week.
Mega Minis I missed these, I heard of them after point where I chose 15mm as the size for me.

At this point other than not having K'kree and Hivers, between the acres deck and ground plans sized for 15mm, not mention the scatter terrain and vehicles changing would be onerous change. Though I must say have the start of a 6mm "travel" collection.

"Never let the fans touch your assets"
Bruce Harlick 2007
Infojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
DeadParrot

The Reaper Chronoscope line has a fair number of 'Space Alien' figures plus humans in space/future garb. If you prefer the plastic minis, many of the Chronoscope minis are also made in the Bones line.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote