Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #71
Plane

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

I guess the problem is that you can't halve the duration to 1 per 0.5 seconds (2 per second) because you don't actually lose anything if you buy it for just 1 DR.

Just realizing now, if you were to define a bunch of separate DR, I guess they would drain away simultaneously?

http://www.mygurps.com/r_absorption.html?p=ir&v=0 lists heals HP as +40% not +80%. Were you thinking of it like a leveled trait so that each dmg stopped heals 2 HP?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #72
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I guess the problem is that you can't halve the duration to 1 per 0.5 seconds (2 per second) because you don't actually lose anything if you buy it for just 1 DR.
2 DR is the lowest you could use to heal HP, since you need to tank up 2 points to heal 1 HP. I suppose if you had DR10, you could ask the GM to let it drain away at 2/sec instead of 1/sec. I've never had anyone that wanted it to drain faster though.

Quote:
Just realizing now, if you were to define a bunch of separate DR, I guess they would drain away simultaneously?
Seems fair, I'd allow it either way. It's likely they were not consolidated because they do different things. If it drains separately it should also heal separately vs corrosive damage as a balancing factor.

Quote:
http://www.mygurps.com/r_absorption.html?p=ir&v=0 lists heals HP as +40% not +80%. Were you thinking of it like a leveled trait so that each dmg stopped heals 2 HP?
Sounds like a I copied the value wrong. It's not leveled for HP.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #73
Plane

If using "High HP and Healing" rules (doubling amounts for HP 20 and so on) do you think 2 points would heal 2 HP in that case? If so then even though it's not explicitly legal, it would seem fair to allow them to spend 1 point to heal 1 HP.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #74
naloth

Quote:
If using "High HP and Healing" rules (doubling amounts for HP 20 and so on) do you think 2 points would heal 2 HP in that case? If so then even though it's not explicitly legal, it would seem fair to allow them to spend 1 point to heal 1 HP.
I multiply for regeneration, but typically not for Absorption, Healing, and Leech.

For the latter three it seems odd to me that the damage (Absorption) or target HP would make the advantage more effective. Healing an elephant shouldn't be easier than healing a cat. Likewise, if you have high HP it seems fair that you should be sucking HP from similarly large things rather than getting HP multiples from drinking mice.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #75
naloth

Here is a take of the New Mutants, intended to represent teens with powers for a low powered campaign:

Cannonball
ST 10 [ 0 ] ]
DX 11 [ 20 ] ]
IQ 11 [ 20 ] ]
HT 11 [ 10 ] ]
Speed 6 [ 10 ] ]

Damage Resistance 30 (FF +20%; Only while Flying -30%; Mutant Super -10%) [ 120 ]
Enhanced Move 2 (Move 48; Instant Acceleration +50%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 52 ]
Flight (Cannot Hover -15%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 26 ]
High Pain Threshold [ 10 ]
Talents: Born Soldier 2 [ 10 ]

Aerobatics-12 (DX+1) [8]; Ten-Hut!-10 (WC-1) [12] [ 20 ]

Total [ 298 ]

DX 11 [ 20 ]
IQ 13 [ 60 ]
HT 12 [ 20 ]
Speed 6 [ 5 ]

Language: English (Native), Vietnamese (Native) [ 6 ]
Possession (Assimilation +10%; Full Memory Access +10%; Telecontrol +50%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 150 ]
Talent: Born Tactician 2 [ 20 ]

Guns (Pistol)-11 (DX) [1]; Ten-Hut!-12 (WC-1) [12] [ 13 ]

Total [ 294 ]

Mirage
ST 11 [ 10 ]
DX 12 [ 40 ]
IQ 12 [ 40 ]
HT 11 [ 10 ]
Speed 6 [ 5 ]

Animal Empathy (Mutant Super -20%) [ 4 ]
Empathy (Mutant Super -20%) [ 12 ]
Illusion (Area 4 yds +100%; Link, Others +20%; Uncontrollable -10%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 48 ]
Mind Probe (Link, Others +20%; Uncontrollable -10%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 18 ]
Mind Reading (Link, Others +20%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 27 ]
Psychometry (Link, Others +20%; Uncontrollable -10%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 18 ]
Talent: Forest Guardian 2 [ 10 ]

Bow-11 (DX-1) [2]; Druid!-11 (Native American; WC-1) [12]; Leadership-11 (IQ-1) [1]; Spear-12 (DX) [2]; Stealth-12 (DX) [2] [ 19 ]

Total [ 261 ]

Sunspot
ST 14 [ 40 ]
DX 12 [ 40 ]
IQ 11 [ 20 ]
HT 12 [ 20 ]
Speed 6 [ 0 ]

DR 10 (Nuissance: Black with spots -5%; Only while using Fixed ST -10%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 33 ]
Energy Reserve 10 (Recharges 1/hour of sun -20%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 18 ]
Fixed ST +14 (1 ER/min -5%; ER only -10%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 73 ]
Language: English, Spanish [ 6 ]
Talent: Business Acumen 1 [ 10 ]
Temperature Tolerance 5 (Heat Only -40%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 2 ]
Wealth (Very Wealthy) [ 20 ]

Brawling-14 (DX+2) [4]; Business!-10 (WC-1) [12] [ 16 ]

Total [ 298 ]

Wolfsbane

ST 12 [ 20 ]
DX 12 [ 40 ]
IQ 11 Per 14 [ 35 ]
HT 12 [ 20 ]
Speed 6 [ 0 ]

Alternate Form 2 (Hybrid; Wolf; Active Change +20%; Reduced Time, 3 seconds, +40%; Uncontrollable -10%; Mutant Super -20%) [ 95 ]
Discriminatory Hearing (Mutant Super -20%) [ 12 ]
Discriminatory Smell (Mutant Super -20%) [ 16 ]
Fit [ 5 ]
Night Vision/5 (Mutant Super -20%) [ 4 ]
Regeneration (Regular; Mutant Super -20%) [ 20 ]
Talent: Wolf 2 (Animal Handling, Wolves; Stealth; Tracking) [ 10 ]

Brawling-14 (DX+2) [4]; Stealth-12 (DX) [2]; Tracking-14 (Per) [2] [ 8 ]

Total [ 285 ]

Hybrid Form
ST+8 [ 80 ]
Claws (Sharp) [ 5 ]
Cannot Speak [ -15 ]
DR 5 [ 25 ]
Perk: Fur [ 1 ]
Teeth (Sharp) [ 1 ]
Semi-Upright [ -5 ]
Wild Animal [ -30 ]
Form Total [ 62 ]

Wolf Form
Enhanced Move (½ level) [ 10 ]
DR 1 [ 5 ]
Quadruped [ -35 ]
Perk: Fur [ 1 ]
Sharp Teeth [ 1 ]
Temp Tolerance 1 [ 1 ]
Wild Animal [ -30 ]
Form Total [ -47 ]

Designer Notes
These are entry points for the various character concepts with plenty of room to grow and diversify. There's even some room to play at 250 points after disadvantages.

Cannonball flies and rams people. He has a very powerful field, but it only protects him while he's flying. He'll need to learn out to channel or invoke it other times for his long term survival. (Alternatively, just take unkillable 2 and call him an "external".)

Karma is a one person at a time body controller. She should keep a few points free for moving around skills as she takes over people. She can access memories that way, but she usually uses picks a body to use as a proxy for whatever she's doing.

Mirage is an illusionist with mind-reading/empathic abilities. Under stress her abilities can start projecting the feelings (fears, hopes) of those around her. She's capable of understanding both animals and people very well. I fudged a bit for her Native American training/upbringing, and gave her combat skills to offset her lack of combat powers.

Sunspot is the brick of the team. He's somewhat pistol resistant and very strong. He can store up to 10 minutes (uses) of energy before he needs to sunbathe to recover. The comic version was a bit inconsistent on his recharge, so I deliberately used ER to limit what he can do.

Wolfsbane has a fair number of "wolf" powers in her human form and two alternate forms (combat and movement/survival) that she can shift into as well.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #76
Plane

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Rahne_S...th-616)#Powers
Regenerative Healing Factor: Wolfsbane is capable of regenerating damaged or destroyed areas of her body with much greater speed and efficiency than an ordinary human. Injuries that result in massive tissue damage such as bullet wounds, slashes, punctures, blunt force trauma, and severe burns heal completely, without so much as a scar, in a shorter amount of time.
Do you know if any level of Regeneration prevents scarring? Or is there maybe some separate "healed wounds don't leave scars" perk?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #77
naloth

Quote:
Do you know if any level of Regeneration prevents scarring? Or is there maybe some separate "healed wounds don't leave scars" perk?
Normally I assume that characters heal up to the same appearance level. Scars can be taken for perks, though, for selective intimidation, reputation, appearance, etc.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #78
Phantasm

As I recall, Cannonball had serious maneuverability issues early on, which he never fully bought off. You may want to tack the Handling Penalty limitation on his Enhanced Move, then spend the points on more DR (given his statements of being "invulnerable while blasting").

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #79
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
As I recall, Cannonball had serious maneuverability issues early on, which he never fully bought off. You may want to tack the Handling Penalty limitation on his Enhanced Move, then spend the points on more DR (given his statements of being "invulnerable while blasting").
Handling penalties are a good idea.

As for "invulnerable" there's never a good number to put it at, but I probably need Hardened more than more DR. It's armor divisors that will hurt rather than most conventional weaponry. Frex, LAWS under the revised system does 9d+1 but divides DR by 10, without hardened that will hurt a lot. With hardened 5, it will effectively bounce off him.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:21 AM   #80
DreadDomain

Ok, I've tried to put together a Comic version of Superman. I was kind of hoping to round him up at 1,500 points but ended up a bit more expensive. Comments welcomed.

Superman [1621] SUPERCEDED
CHARACTERISTICS [160]
ST 75 DX 14 IQ 13 HT 15
HP 75 Per 15 Will 15 FP 15
Thr Dam 17d-1 cr BL 30 ktons Speed 8 Move 8

ATTACKS DODGE 12 SUPER BLOCK 12
Punch (14) 16+1d cr
Heat Vision (14) 10d(5) Burn, Range 100, Cone (2 yrds)
Super-Breath (14) 10d cr, Range 20, Cone (2 yrds), Double Knockback, No Wounding
Freezing Breath (14) 5d cr, Range 20, Cone (5 yrds), No Blunt Trauma, No Knockback, No Wounding, if damage penetrates target must succeed a HT at -1 per 2 points of damage or suffer Paralysis (for living) or become Brittle (for inanimate objects) for (20-HT) minutes

POWERS [1477] • all powers (Kryptonian -10%)
Kryptonian Body ST+60, DX+3, HT+3, Per+2, Speed +0.75 [644]
Kryptonian Toughness Damage Reduction /2 plus 30 DR (Tough Skin -40%) plus High Pain Threshold plus Very Fit [143]
Kryptonian Physionomy Doesn’t need to Breathe (Oxygen Storage/100); Pressure Support 2, Radiation Tolerance/100; Temperature Support 10; Vacuum Support [64]
Rapid Healing Ability. Regeneration (Regular) [23]

Super Flight 60 Flight, Space +44 [133]
Hyper Flight 30,000 Enhanced Move (Flight) 9 [162]

KRYPTONIAN POWERS • all Alternate Abilities to Hyper-Flight
Heat Vision 10d Burn, Armor Divisor (5), Cone (2 yrds) [31]
Super-Breath 10d cr, Cone (2 yrds), Double Knockback, No Wounding, Reduced Range x1/5 [10]
Freezing Breath 5d cr, Cone (5 yrds), Side Effect: Paralysis or Brittle, No Blunt Trauma, No Knockback, No Wounding, Reduced Range x1/5 [9]
Super Reflexes Altered Time Rate 2, Cost Fatigue 2 [28]
Super Speed Altered Time Rate 6 (x20), Super-Speed, Out of Combat, Cost Fatigue 2, Nuisance (Gust of wind) [30]
Quicker Than the Eye Invisibility, Affects Machines, Can carry Heavy Enc, Switchable, Must be in Movement, Nuisance (Gust of wind) [23]

KRYPTONIAN SUPER SENSES
Enhanced Time Sense [40]
Infravision [9]
Microscopic Vision (x100), Concentration [8]
Parabolic Hearing 10 [36]
Ultrasonic Hearing [5]
Ultravision [9]
X-Ray Vision Penetrating Vision 10, Not Versus lead, Concentration [70]

ADVANTAGES [29]
Heroic Looks Appearance (Handsome) +2/+4, plus Charisma 2, Superman identity only [21]
The Big Blue Boy Scout Reputation +4, Almost everyone, All the time, Superman identity only [7]
Journalist from the Daily Planet Press Pass [1]

RELATIONSHIPS [3]
Lois Lane Ally (25%) Quite Often 12-, Special skills plus Special Rapport plus Dependent, Rarely 6- [3]
Lana Lang, Jimmy Olsen and the whole gang Dependent Rarely 6- [-10]
Network of Contacts in Daily Planet, MCU, STAR Labs Contact Groups, Effective Skill 15-, Fairly Often 9-, Usually Reliable [20]
Rogue Gallery Enemy, Rarely 6-, Medium size group [-10]

SKILLS [52]
Acting 12; Aerobatics 13; AK: Metropolis 14; AK: United States 13; AK: Earth 13; Brawling 14; Computer Ops 13; Criminology 12; Current Affairs 14; Detect Lies 13; Diplomacy 13; Fast Talk 12; First Aid 13; Innate Attack 14; Law 11; Leadership 15; Navigation 13; Occupation (Reporter) 14; Public Speaking 15; Research 14; Savoir-Faire 13; Search 14; Sumo Wrestling 14; Tactics 11; Throwing 14; Writing 15

DISADVANTAGES [-100]
Code Versus Killing Pacifism; Cannot Kill [-15]
Heroic Values Selfless 12 [-5]
Kryptonian Physiology Requires Special Medical Care. If injured by something his Regeneration can't heal doctors need a small amount of Kryptonite to do simple tasks [-5]
Protective of Innocents Sense of Duty [-15]
Secret Identity, Clark Kent Harassment, relatives might be threatened [-10]
Vulnerability to Magic Wounding x4, Occasional [-40]
Weakness to Kryptonite. 1d damage per Minute, rare [-10]

Notes:
I considered Variable Innate Attacks were the norm so no enhancement required.
I hesitated to put Radiation Tolerance. Not sure Radiation factor should be a thing in a Super game.
DR, as a default, also covers the eyes. Not realistic, but very 4-colour.
I haven'y used Wildcard skills.
In a Super game, I am not convinced the granularity between E, A, H and VH skills is required or desirable. I used the standard rule anyway.
Supes has to choose which KRYPTONIAN POWERS he wants to use (AA) and his Super-Speed is tiring.

Last edited by DreadDomain; 02-08-2019 at 08:24 PM.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers