Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
lexington

Default Re: [Psi] Powers (basic set)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
This appears to conflict with what you said in post 2, and also what Sunrunner's Fire said in post 5
Which part and how?
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Which part and how?
Quote:

Detect (Injury and Disease) lets you detect injuries and diseases, exactly as described for the Detect advantage. I believe you can justify getting a bonus to certain skills via Detect if you roll against IQ+Talent, Diagnosis should get +4 I think since Detect provide miraculous assistance. I'd require certain enhancements for them to be useful to Physician.

Healing lets you heal people using the rules listed for the Healing advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Aura Reading, GURPS Psionic Powers, pg 46 ... would answer some of that.

In practice?

Detect feeds you three levels of information.

Detect.Sense
Detect.BasicAnalysis
Detect.DetailedAnalysis

Detect.Sense tells you if it is there and how much of it is there.

Detect.BasicAnalysis tells you the details obtainable via observation. Applied to Detect (Humans), per Aura Reading, above, this acts as a successful Diagnosis check in addition to informing you how many HP and FP they have remaining, if they have any diseases or other infections and their vague emotional state.

Detect.DetailedAnalysis requires the Analyzing enhancement from Powers and gives you the details obtainable via intensive testing and lab work. Applied to Detect (Humans), this tells you the specific disease names, information on subtle, long-term problems and as much detail as the Emotion Sense ability would give. (Empathy, essentially) This counts as a full battery of lab tests, including medical imaging, for all purposes.

All of these information levels allow you to continue monitoring the subject without any additional concentration required.

As such?

Detect (Disease) gives you Detect.Sense for the presence or absence of diseases and a rough estimation of how diseased they are while Detect.BasicAnalysis would count as a successful disease-related Diagnosis check.
Quote:
I think you'd need Precise to find particular injuries, although some of the examples in Powers make me think that Using Skills With Powers allows a pretty generous interpretation of what you can do.

No, it adds to them but Detect won't provide a flat bonus. You have to roll for it so there's a chance of failure.

It helps you find where disease and injury is, just like Detect (Gold) helps you find gold. With Analyzing you can justify a bonus to Diagnosis with a successful IQ+Talent roll. A person trying to track the progress of a plague would benefit a great deal from having Detect (Disease) if they can personally walk through a city.

I bolded the relevant parts. In post # 2, you indicate that a single roll against the unmodified Detect (disease and injury) advantage will give a bonus to Diagnosis. That would be the Detect roll in Basic set. In post 5, Sunrunner's Fire indicates that 2 successful rolls ( One to detect, and one to analyze, per Basic Set) against unmodified Detect (Humans) will completely replace a successful Diagnosis check. In Post 8, you state that you would need Detect (Injury and Disease) with the Analyzing enhancement in order to receive a bonus to Diagnosis.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
lexington

Quote:
I bolded the relevant parts. In post # 2, you indicate that a single roll against the unmodified Detect (disease and injury) advantage will give a bonus to Diagnosis. That would be the Detect roll in Basic set. In post 5, Sunrunner's Fire indicates that 2 successful rolls ( One to detect, and one to analyze, per Basic Set) against unmodified Detect (Humans) will completely replace a successful Diagnosis check. In Post 8, you state that you would need Detect (Injury and Disease) with the Analyzing enhancement in order to receive a bonus to Diagnosis.
I think being able to get a bonus from Detect for ought to require Analyzing or Precise is most cases but that's an opinion not RAW.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Per Abilities Enhancing Skills (Powers, pp. 162-162), Detect generally gives +2 for "does what fine-quality mundane equipment would do." I would allow Detect with the Analyzing enhancement to give the +4 for "truly miraculous" aid.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Walrus

Quote:
Relating to the Healing power, what might people consider a fair discount for the limitation "cannot heal more than 3 HP per use," with the ordinary rules for repeated attempts on the same person?
Powers, p. 51:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers
Capped: <...> This is worth -25% for a cap of 2 FP, -20% for 4 FP, -15% for 6 FP, -10% for 8 FP, and -5% for 10 FP.
So, it limits amount of FP spent (since there's less FP cost enhancement), but it might be the same.
Quote:
Yes. The question was, if someone has the advantage Healing, how much of a limitation, if any, would it be if they needed to succeed at a Diagnosis roll before being able to make a Healing roll.
Powers, p. 112 gives Requires (Attribute) Roll -10% for IQ. Transitioning from attribute roll to Hard skill is +0%.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Powers, p. 51:
So, it limits amount of FP spent (since there's less FP cost enhancement), but it might be the same.
Good enough for me, thank you.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set, powers, psi, psionic powers