Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Zarameus

Default Dungeon Fantasy vs GURPS Dungeon Fantasy

Hey all!

I was wondering what the difference was between the boxed set game Dungeon Fantasy, and the series of GURPS books titled Dungeon Fantasy. Are they compatible, completely separate? The same in some capacity? I was toying with the idea of picking up the boxed set and just want to get an idea of what goes with it and what doesn't.

And actually, I was also wondering how compatible the other GURPS books were with Dungeon Fantasy? Such as the two core books or the collection of themed books? For instance could I insert some things from horror or biotech into Dungeon Fantasy or are they just different enough?

Thanks for any input!
Zarameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy vs GURPS Dungeon Fantasy

The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is almost but not quite 100% compatible with the rest of GURPS. It goes something like this: the DFRPG is a distillation of the core GURPS rules and several volumes in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line. It contains a cut-down set of GURPS rules with stuff not relevant to quick-start dungeon delving stripped out: anything for higher TLs, most of the social interaction rules, a lot of modifiers and "construction set" rules, and the like. There are some modifications and variants. For example, rules for falls and collisions in the DFRPG are simplified from what's in Basic and armor weights and costs are based on the Low Tech series rather than Basic. However, it's still very much GURPS in how it all works. This does mean that if you know GURPS, you can likely shoehorn anything from it into the DFRPG, though you might run into small incompatibilities.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I can't do better than to quote Kromm's notes from earlier today in the DFRPG forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The DFRPG intentionally discards the somewhat simulationist, realism-oriented bias of its parent system. The box on p. 8 is a big hint: You can have whatever age, height, weight, and sex you want, and it has no effect at all on any of your abilities. Your 4'11", 70-year-old granny can be a tough-as-nails barbarian woman with ST 17. Heck, you can have shocking-pink hair and eyes with no whites, like someone straight outta anime. This is kitchen-sink adventure fantasy . . . go wild!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Zarameus

Oh okay, so the box set Dungeon Fantasy is a game with a more distilled GURPS rule set, whereas the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy books are more for the full GURPS rule set? That makes sense - though I can’t help but wonder if maybe they shouldn’t have chosen a different name for the box set game.

And judging from the quote, it seems like they pruned some of the realism away in favor of big hero epic fantasy type stuff, which is good I think for what it is. I like the sound of that too.

Okay, great, thanks guys for the quick answers!
Old 09-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
DaosusLeghki

With regards to the boxed set, I'd just like to point out that the ability to hand your players the books and say "anything in here is good to go" is worth the price of admission.
DaosusLeghki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
Zarameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaosusLeghki View Post
With regards to the boxed set, I'd just like to point out that the ability to hand your players the books and say "anything in here is good to go" is worth the price of admission.
That’s one of the things I love about GURPS - just the sheer breadth of possibilities it allows.

What kind of character options does the box set allow? I imagine it’s not quite as expansive as the main game, but I’m sure it has a good wealth of possibilities on its own.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
This winds up being basically fantastic for authors and prospective authors as well.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarameus View Post
That’s one of the things I love about GURPS - just the sheer breadth of possibilities it allows.

What kind of character options does the box set allow? I imagine it’s not quite as expansive as the main game, but I’m sure it has a good wealth of possibilities on its own.
There are class templates for Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Holy Warrior (paladin), Knight(fighter), Martial Artist, Scout(ranger), Swashbuckler, Thief, and Wizard. There are also racial options for most standard fantasy races and a couple of non-standard ones like Catfolk and half-ogres.

It’s easily as many options as most fantasy RPG core books, and more than most OSR books.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Not

If you're converting your DFRPG character to Gurps, you might have to recalculate costs for multiple weapon skills. You get a discount if you spent a lot of points in skills that default to one another.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
Dalin

Quote:
Yes, this is a huge advantage of the boxed set. It's also a surprisingly deep system for its page count. I've been running or playing in multiple parallel DFRPG campaigns since the box was released and we haven't felt like we needed a more advanced system.

I do have an extensive GURPS library too, and occasionally pull stuff from the wider ecosystem, which works great. I haven't encountered any incompatibilities that caused problems.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy