Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Maximum7

Default Which of these is beyond the capabilities of known Star Wars science?

Yes I know in fiction; anything is possible but I’m looking at this from an in-universe point of view. Which of these would be hard to accomplish based on known Star Wars science capabilities?

1.) EMP repelling- Something you can put on electronics that makes it impervious to EMP attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

2.) Age scanner- Something that can scan a rock or a being and tell a scientist how old it is in standard years.

3.) Psychohistory-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychohistory_(fictional)

4.) Sentient cybersuit- A suit of powered armor that integrates you with an AI to work together in symbiosis

5.) Wireless citywide central air- Basically wireless outdoor air conditioning over a large area.

6.) Simulated reality- Like from The Matrix.

7.) Artificial pole shift- Something to artificially shape the poles of a planet. I don't know how it would be done but it would obviously be a punishment superweapon

8.) Ambient intelligence-ambient intelligence refers to electronic environments that are sensitive and responsive to the presence of people

9.) Bioprinter- Something that can create new organs

10.) Water synthesizer- Creates water from scratch

11.) Artificial magnetosphere-https://phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere.html

12.) SQUID-like device -
https://www.engadget.com/2009/07/31/...-strange-days/

13.)Argon matrix laser- Laser weapon that only damages inorganic material

14.) Neural music composition- Creating music by thinking it

15.) Solar storm generator- Something that can create a solar storm

16.) Cultured plant cells- Like cultured meat but for plants

17.) Torsion field drive- Alternative FTL method

18.) Zero point energy generator

19.) Giant solar space farm

You can pick only one if you want.
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Agemegos

Default Re: Which of these is beyond the capabilities of known Star Wars science?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
Yes I know in fiction; anything is possible but I’m looking at this from an in-universe point of view. Which of these would be hard to accomplish based on known Star Wars science capabilities?
Really, honestly, truly: there is no science in Star Wars. None whatsoever. There isn't even any consistent pseudo-science. The creators of the series did not both to make up answers to these questions, and they did not bother to establish anything from which answers can be extrapolated.

If you want to put some consistent pseudoscience in, you are going to have to make it up for yourself. No-one can answer these questions you keep asking.

P.S. This is the twentieth thread you have created asking essentially the same question about Star Wars. We have already given you all the answers we've got.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-28-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
Maximum7

Default Re: Which of these is beyond the capabilities of known Star Wars science?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Really, honestly, truly: there is no science in Star Wars. None whatsoever. There isn't even any consistent pseudo-science. The creators of the series did not both to make up answers to these questions, and they did not bother to establish anything from which answers can be extrapolated.

If you want to put some consistent pseudoscience in, you are going to have to make it up for yourself. No-one can answer these questions you keep asking.

P.S. This is the twentieth thread you have created asking essentially the same question about Star Wars. We have already given you all the answers we've got.
That’s just because you only watch the movies. Their is tons of science mentioned in the novels and reference books.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
That’s just because you only watch the movies. Their is tons of science mentioned in the novels and reference books.
Ignoring the fact that the novels and reference books are neither canonical nor consistent, what they actually contain is science gobbledy****; it's not actually science, it's just meant to look like science to a casual observer.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Ignoring the fact that the novels and reference books are neither canonical nor consistent, what they actually contain is science gobbledy****; it's not actually science, it's just meant to look like science to a casual observer.
All novels and reference material created after 2014 is canon with a few exceptions.
And yes this is FAKE science but from an in-universe viewpoint, it is “real” and I wonder what are their limits.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #6
Agemegos

Quote:
Maybe you're right. But even if so, we on this board aren't hoarding secret knowledge of it that we will divulge if you can phrase the question right. If there is an answer to your question we don't know it. There is no point in asking us a twentieth time a question that we could not answer to your satisfaction the previous nineteen times you asked us.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
Maximum7

Quote:
Maybe you're right. But even if so, we on this board aren't hoarding secret knowledge of it that we will divulge if you can phrase the question right. If there is an answer to your question we don't know it. There is no point in asking us a twentieth time a question that we could not answer to your satisfaction the previous nineteen times you asked us.
Im not asking you to perform brain surgery. I merely just want your opinion based on the list I provided. I honestly don’t know why you even answered this post if you don’t really know about Star Wars.
Some people like Azeroth do; and I’m looking for opinions like his. I’m extremely terrible at picking things.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
Irish Wolf

Max. Once more, with feeling.

There is no "science" in any version of SW. What they present is not self-consistent, much less consistent with any sciences in any other known universe, real or fictional. They spout buzzwords a lot, but none of it actually means anything, and any of it can change randomly depending on authorial whim. You'd be better off trying to figure out how the climate works in the Song of Ice and Fire novels.

If you want a self-consistent science for your SW games, feel free to make one up. Be sure to let your players know you've done so, to ensure they don't try to Force-pull something out of their asses in extremis.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I've been avoiding these threads, but, since the consensus has come out, I'll join in.

Quote:
Quoted for truth.

Quote:
Well, that's fine, as this is a Steve Jackson Games website, dedicated to their games not a Star Wars fanon site dedicated to the lore and fan works of Star Wars. Your questions would be better asked there. While, yes, this is the "Roleplaying in General" subfora, you've asked the same question 20 times and been given several answers. We're not dedicated to probing the lore of Star Wars like you want us to, and we're not focused on Star Wars like you want us to be. As those before me have said: We don't have the answers you're looking for.

Quote:
Im not asking you to perform brain surgery. I merely just want your opinion based on the list I provided. I honestly don’t know why you even answered this post if you don’t really know about Star Wars.
And you've been given that opinion: "you keep asking the same question, we've already told you what we know."

Some of us know scads about Star Wars but we don't care about the science. Because that's not what makes Star Wars special. And all of the "science" that has been added is, at best, a kludge, and generally, completely inconsistent. As well as a majority of it violates the existing movie canon, which is why many people avoid it.

And the point Agemegos was trying to make wasn't that he doesn't know anything about Star Wars but that we don't know any more about it than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
Max. Once more, with feeling.

There is no "science" in any version of SW. What they present is not self-consistent, much less consistent with any sciences in any other known universe, real or fictional. They spout buzzwords a lot, but none of it actually means anything, and any of it can change randomly depending on authorial whim. You'd be better off trying to figure out how the climate works in the Song of Ice and Fire novels.
Again, quoted for truth.

Maximum7, if you're a player in a Star Wars game, these are discussions you should be having with your GM, not with strangers on the internet. Even if we gave you the Ultimate Question for your character to ask, it's completely up to your GM to decide if it's valid or not. And pointing to a fora on the internet and saying "well, see, they said so," is very poor form.

If you are the GM, then you should really be asking if a hard-science focus is what your players want in their Star Wars game. If it is "yes," you should ask what they want to accomplish and why they want to do it in Star Wars. And a very important thing to remember is that, as GM, you should be running the game your players want, not the game you want.

If you're having a hard time choosing, roll some dice. I'm 95% sure you have some nearby. And, since you're on a computer, or a phone or tablet, you can easily go download a die roller app.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
whswhs

I haven't the patience to go through a long list like that. But I will offer a bit of meta-level advice.

The underlying theme of Star Wars is the contrast between vitalism and mechanism: That is, between the theory that there is a "life force" or élan vital that gives animacy to living beings and binds them together, and the theory that living beings are very complex machines made out of molecules. Those two theories were serious contenders in the 19th century, but in the 20th century, vitalism lost out, and has no serious support in biology these days (though you do get people who try to restart it using speculative interpretations of quantum mechanics). But in SW, both theories are still alive, and vitalism is true: see Vader's contempt for "this technological terror you've created."

So if you want "science" to fit the SW setting, look for speculative scientific ideas that tie in to vitalism/mechanism in some way. It doesn't matter what their scientific credentials are in the real world; what matters is whether they can be taken as manifesting a "life force" that transcends the physics of inanimate matter. For example, such a force might be capable of producing entropy decrease, as it's characteristic of living organisms to show such decrease (but at the price of exporting larger entropy increases to their surroundings).

That sort of thing will be thematically appropriate and will feel right in a way that a lot of your laundry list won't.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
future technology, sci fi, science fiction, science!, star wars