Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Munchk

Default What is a Monster Enhancer for the purposes of Mate?

While playing my friends and I encountered an argument that hopefully you guys can resolve.
While facing a monster my friend (who had tons of bonuses on him) was winning, so to stop him from winning my other friend put an item card that boosted the monster that allowed 3 to either side(chose the side to enhance the monster of course) and a different card that did plus 5 to the monster.

The friend facing the monster was still winning, however this time a different person threw down Mate (which states: Another monster appears, of the same Level and with all the same Monster Enhancers....)

Now this is where I need help. What constitutes as a Monster Enhancer?

Are Monster Enhancer cards only the ones that say +5,+10,-5 at the top of the card?

Are Item cards considered Monster Enhancers? (The ones that say 3 or five to either side)
Example: Potion. Will this count as a monster enhancer card even though it is not specifically for monsters?

I guess what my general question is, what specifically is a monster enhancer card? is it only the cards that say plus to monster at the top? or can they be treasure cards?

Thank you guys for taking the time to reading this and helping me out
Munchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: What is a Monster Enhancer for the purposes of Mate?

The rules describe Monster Enhancers this way (with my added emphasis):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, p. 5, Monster Enhaners
Certain cards, called monster enhancers, raise or lower the combat strength of individual monsters.
So, the cards that say that they are +X to the Monster would be considered Monster Enhancers, but not Treasure cards that aid the Monster side. The wording on the Mate card was actually designed to exclude one-shot Items, since it got very confusing what got doubled when a player played Mate on a Monster when there were already multiple Monsters and one-shot Items in use for the Monster side.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
card types, combat, monster enhancers, ruling