Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
lwcamp

Default Re: Jarassic Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpspadawan View Post
So I'm about to GM my first gurps campaign in a few months. Obviously by the title I'm doing a JP campaign set in the book continuity. I know we have dinosaurs in lands out of time, which helps believe me, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for ones not listed. Possibly some suggestions on building them. Thanks
I have stats for two groups of dinosaurs on my animalia site
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/animalia/animalia.html
Dromeosaurs (raptors)
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/animalia/d...meosaurid.html
Allosaurids
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/animalia/d...meosaurid.html
I haven't gotten around to filling out the species accounts yet, but hitting the submit button will give you the stats of the listed species.

There entries were written with an eye toward real-world paleontology, using some of the more cutting-edge science from the Lionang formation discoveries and recent analyses on biomechanics. If you want a more traditional view of dinos, you might want to modify these a bit. The Jurassic Park franchise started out using paleontological science in transition between an older "traditional" view and the more modern understanding held today (it was quite cutting-edge for its time), but as the sequels dragged on the science became more and more dodgy. A Jurassic Park "velociraptor" (which could be based on my Utahraptor stats), for example, would not have wing assisted incline running (and might have higher IQ and Ground Move).

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
There's also the PD+DR to convert
You can ignore PD up to 3 (it's already included in the way that Active Defenses are calculated in 4e). For PD 4+ I'd just make sure they have Combat Reflexes. It generally doesn't make sense for animals to have a Defense Bonus. DR hasn't changed at all (it's still DR 75 per inch of RHA).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
I have stats for two groups of dinosaurs on my animalia site
I would definitely prefer to use yours. If you're feeling industrious, what I need is Late-Cretaceous (~70mya) North America, probably starting with wetlands
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Phantasm

There's always GURPS Update on e23 which is a guide for converting 3e characters (and critters) to 4e. It's a a free download, too, so don't be shy about grabbing it!

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
Gurpspadawan

Thanks to all of you guys I'll be definately using the animal site that was suggested and I'll try and pick up Dinosaurs and start some conversions. Any creature suggestions. I plan on going a rout that was almost taken in what would have been the third novel of splicing creatures with Dino's for a side campaign. Ay ideas for that one.
Gurpspadawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
CraigM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpspadawan View Post
Thanks to all of you guys I'll be definately using the animal site that was suggested and I'll try and pick up Dinosaurs and start some conversions. Any creature suggestions. I plan on going a rout that was almost taken in what would have been the third novel of splicing creatures with Dino's for a side campaign. Ay ideas for that one.
Jurassic Park meets The Island of Dr Moreau?

Are we talking human-dino hybrids here, dino-dino hybrids, or the more realistic "we took some recovered Wooly Mammoth DNA and used that to replace the modern DNA in an African Elephant egg, but because DNA is not the only thing that influences development the resulting creature shares some characteristics of both ancient mammoths and modern elephants..."?

If you're going with cinematic hybrids, you can give them any stats you feel are appropriate; they're essentially fantasy monsters.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
Gurpspadawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Jurassic Park meets The Island of Dr Moreau?

Are we talking human-dino hybrids here, dino-dino hybrids, or the more realistic "we took some recovered Wooly Mammoth DNA and used that to replace the modern DNA in an African Elephant egg, but because DNA is not the only thing that influences development the resulting creature shares some characteristics of both ancient mammoths and modern elephants..."?

If you're going with cinematic hybrids, you can give them any stats you feel are appropriate; they're essentially fantasy monsters.
Some dino with dino others dino with modern animals

Last edited by Gurpspadawan; 11-02-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Gurpspadawan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, help me out here, jarassic park, suggestions wanted