Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #1811
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Each week I try and post an update of what’s going on at Gaming Ballistic. What went well, what needs more attention, and an eye on upcoming releases plus company health. As Gaming Ballistic is currently the only licensed third-party publisher doing new, original content for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG and The Fantasy Trip (at least for the moment), I hope this is of some interest.

The full report is here on my Patreon as a public post.

Another eventful week. Basically closed out OSE Solos. Nightmare Fuel funded but is still mired in doldrums, but hope remains while the company is true.
  • The Nightmare Fuel bestiary project for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG went live on Backerkit Crowdfunding on October 13, hit 50% funding on Day 1, passed the funding goal on Oct 21 (Day 8), and is currently idling with 9 days left.
  • We still have 585 folks following but not backed, and are closing in on 800 followers total. That follower total is more than the original Nordlondr Bestiary, which closed at 685 backers, with 250 or so joining the last week of the campaign. If we get that sort of final run, we’ll likely pass the stretch goal.
  • Just in case it wasn’t clear: If we pass the stretch goal, the hardcover omnibus is in addition to the three books you get with your physical rewards. It’s not a replacement. I thought that was clear, but in case it wasn’t: It’s a free extra book.
  • PLEASE pledge soon if you can. How close we are to the stretch makes a real difference. If you’re on the fence due to lack of information, I’ve started to post contents and sample art. More forthcoming this weekend.
  • The OSE solos project is pretty darn close to done. All domestic and Canadian packages are out. I get daily “dings” on my phone saying yet another package has arrived. The AUS/NZ box needs customs forms but is picked and packed. The UK Hub orders are awaiting the reprint of Dragon Hunt, which has been shipped. I have processed all refunds and late surveys. This is as done as I can make it.
  • Oh, one more thing: the “Mondragon’s Hounds” card had an error in it where the font got replaced with a small box. Artiforge reprinted that for me and I dropped a replacement card in the mail for Domestic recipients.
  • The Nightmare Fuel campaign page contains a discount code for 10% off those products not featured on the campaign. Check out Can’t Find an Add-On on the campaign page!

Friction
Bits of news and items that put a monkey in the wrench.

The campaign doldrums on Backerkit are even more extreme than on Kickstarter so far. I have theories as to why. I’m hopeful that the final week of the campaign, November 1-6, will see the same sort of acceleration that we saw in Nordlond Bestiary.

My fingers are literally raw from handling so much adhesive tape.

Fair Winds
Information about things that move GB forward.

Having the OSE fulfillment off my shoulders, even with a few to-dos left, is a huge relief.

The books are really pretty. Like really, really pretty. I love the matte covers on both Shields Up and the OSE solos, and may well do that for everything going forward.

The art for Nightmare Fuel is going to be really good.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:44 AM   #1812
DouglasCole

It’s been four weeks since my last report, and the work here has almost all been “head down” stuff. But good progress made. We’re heading into the Christmas-New Year “season,” which has some impact on timing of some things.
  • The Nightmare Fuel bestiary project for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG funded and finished on November 6. Surveys went out three weeks ago, Garden of Evil was first distributed 11 days ago, and since then work has continued on the other two books…
  • …including Serpents of Legend, which was released to backers yesterday.
  • The Bugstiary cover art was retouched significantly, and the author is closing in on getting me final edits. Matter of days I hope, maybe less.
  • The OSE Solos to AUS-NZ got caught in Xmas shipping, I think. The MyUS intermediary wound up charging me $500 for 10-12 parcels. That still probably will wind up being slightly less than sending them direct from the US or UK, but I absolutely took a bath there. This is why publishers hate shipping folks: things change without warning.
  • My November DriveThruRPG sales had a really nice spike, which was cool to see.
  • Hexagram 10 released...and I have two articles in it. I'd forgotten about those.
  • One more on Nightmare Fuel: The covers are really sweet.

https://gamingballistic.com/2022/12/...ng-dec-9-2022/
Old 02-17-2023, 12:54 PM   #1813
DouglasCole

I seem to be trying to break records for longest delay. My apologies:

https://gamingballistic.com/2023/02/...t-feb-17-2023/

Ballistic’s Report – 10 Weeks of Silence, 2023

It’s been ten weeks since my last report. What started with some head-down grunt-work as I ran into the 2022 Xmas break collided with what was ultimately a disappointing finish to my Nightmare Fuel Bestiary project. Immediately after that, my plans for 2023 were all thrown into the air with the OGL de-authorization. Weeks of “what the heck do I do now?” combined with what was somewhat of a work-based existential financial crisis. But there’s nothing for a new start like just simply starting anew…so here we go.
  • The Nightmare Fuel bestiary project is essentially finished as of this week. All parcels international and domestic have been distributed, and the sole remaining to-do item is the Foundry VTT module, which needs to go through the formal release process with Foundry and then it can go out.
  • Otherwise, I’ve been, well, paralyzed with “what do I do now?” for essentially the past six weeks. I made a plan for early 2023 which centered around an OSE release, only to have that be skunked by about a month as Hasbro/WotC tried to de-authorize the OGL.
  • Everything suffered. For that I apologize and can only promise it’s time to get busy.
  • Even so, I have a lot of work done on the OSE book of NPCs and cards, plans for stretch goals, and an intent to launch something there in 10 days as I get my act together. I also have three TFT books being written by David Pulver and a Powered by GURPS Norðlond book being put through a second draft by one of the NF authors. So there’s stuff coming.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:26 AM   #1814
DouglasCole

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ballistics-march-79510953

Getting back into the swing of things, and moving forward into 2023 finally. A new kickstarter approaches from Gaming Ballistic in the Old-School Essentials space, a bunch of movement behind the scenes.
  • The Foundry VTT module for Nightmare Fuel just needs some block and tackle on the admin side, then it will be finished and go out to backers. Expect that next week, I hope.
  • Best Supporting Actors: Adversaries and Allies is going to launch next week! Over 172 characters, ready to play with stats, equipment, and enough description to make them interesting, but not so much as to be burdensome. Softcover book and quick reference cards are being produced.
  • Two or three background projects made progress.
  • I got my new sword! I’ve been waiting for it for two years, so this is a big deal for me. I’ve used it twice in practice and everyone who’s handled it loves it.
  • My wife has been traveling to various places (mostly Texas and a jaunt to Europe) for seven or eight weeks straight. This has had deleterious effects on productivity.
  • The Nightmare Fuel books are now available on my shopify store in both print and PDF
Old 03-17-2023, 10:14 AM   #1815
DouglasCole

Gaming Ballistic Week(s) in Review for March 17, 2023
https://gamingballistic.com/2023/03/...march-17-2023/

The new Kickstarter is up and running! I knock down some important housekeeping items. My new sword remains awesome.
  • The Foundry VTT module for Nightmare Fuel was finished and sent to backers last week, closing out that project completely.
  • Best Supporting Actors: Adversaries and Allies launched with, well, mixed success. On the one hand, it was identified as a Project We Love by Kickstarter, the first time that has happened to me. On the other, it’s not doing well, sitting a bit over 75% of the funding goal (for the second time, having lost something like 5% of its total in two days as unexpected bills came due), and with history suggesting it’s going to be a very near thing.
  • I did my taxes; no S-Corp for me this year, as I didn’t make enough income to have the extra tax return and permanent change to that status a lock. On the other hand, I had good revenue, and reasonable income for the year as a whole. Focusing on the June to December period – maximum productivity – looks amazing.
  • One background project is stalled; David’s TFT project is running behind but that’s OK.
  • My new sword continues to be excellent.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:19 PM   #1816
DouglasCole

https://gamingballistic.com/2023/03/...gs-fall-apart/

Felltower: Things Fall Apart? - Gaming Ballistic

The fight continues, and the group doesn't die, much to our surprise. After much blood, we return to the dungeon...and things go badly.

Another epic felltower session, where we basically walk into the second near TPK in two delves
Truly, we suck
Old 03-24-2023, 12:25 PM   #1817
DouglasCole

The Best Supporting Actors Kickstarter funds, and otherwise chugs along, and is roughly halfway done. I get my tax return information. A whole lot of head-down on BSA makes major progress.

https://gamingballistic.com/2023/03/...march-24-2023/
Old 03-28-2023, 01:14 AM   #1818
Plane

Mr. Cole I was wondering how Technical Grappling could cover the maneuver the female fighter does 29 seconds into this preview from the upcoming D&D film: https://youtu.be/nuR3KB8ab9g&t=29

It looks like she's grappling the head and leg and then doing some kind of pickup but I'm not sure if I'm missing a different interpretation of it.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #1819
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Mr. Cole I was wondering how Technical Grappling could cover the maneuver the female fighter does 29 seconds into this preview from the upcoming D&D film: https://youtu.be/nuR3KB8ab9g&t=29

It looks like she's grappling the head and leg and then doing some kind of pickup but I'm not sure if I'm missing a different interpretation of it.
There are two back-to-back big grapples there. I'm going to describe what I see happening in the very simplest possible terms, because I find trying to account for the placement of every metacarpal voids the play benefits of abstraction, from "you're grappled" to "you have N control points."

Scene 1.

Our barbarian deliberately parries with her rope ties at 0:30, allowing them to be severed. She then steps in for a two-handed grapple of the torso. Her mookish foe conveniently has AoA'd, so gets no defense.

At 0:31, she's in the process of a simple takedown, spending all her control points in the process. [1]

At 0:32, she does an Acrobatic Stand, and is on her feet ready for more at 0:33

At 0:34, she does a Committed Attack (two steps, literally), dodges the All-Out Telegraphic Attack cutting blow from another adversary who was Waiting for her, and either Rapid Strikes or Extra Attacks a grapple and (cinematic) pickup. The foe fails his orientation roll for being lifted off his feet.

At 0:35, she again spends all her control points on a damaging takedown, with bonus damage from a gravity assist. [2]

To me, at least - and frankly, this is really good in terms of keeping with the RAWR BARBARIAN RAGE theme of the character - she's done very little fancy with the grappling. Grapples, takedowns (damaging ones), and using the disorientation of a pickup to deny action to foes (who do a darn good job of denying action to themselves via maneuver/option choice of the All-Out/Telegraphic variety). None of these are sophisticated, and in fact, all of them but the initial grapple can be done based of of either a straight ST roll/contest of ST or a ST-based roll since 100% she has Power Grappling, because of course she does.

[1] there's a movie convention here it seems, where "down" can optionally be "finished and out of the fight." If one wanted to model damage, then I'm sure that she is powerful enough to have amassed enough CP to eke out 3d of damage, or 2d and she rolled well, KO'ing the guy.

[2] More movie magic here, but there's a cut between shots here, which not only changes the angle for better viewing, but it also conceals and speeds the pickup and slam to properly epic levels.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:19 AM   #1820
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
[1] there's a movie convention here it seems, where "down" can optionally be "finished and out of the fight." If one wanted to model damage, then I'm sure that she is powerful enough to have amassed enough CP to eke out 3d of damage, or 2d and she rolled well, KO'ing the guy.
I'll note this convention isn't necessary here - if you watch the guy she does the takedown on, you can actually see him roll over from supine to prone and starting to stand while she's charging the second guy, and when the camera cuts over to get a better view of her body-slamming the second guy, you can further see him finish standing up, after which he and a third guy (who is unarmed, while the first one still has his sword) attempt to gang up on and fight her.

The second guy is certainly either Stunned or KO'd (in DnD terms, he'd probably be unconscious from having taken Subdual damage in excess of his HP) after that body slam, as he drops his sword and doesn't appear to be moving much, if at all. So probably some damage done there (using whatever CP she had left after the pickup... or maybe after the pickup she did another AoA (Double) to gain some CP and then immediately turned that into damage for the body slam), although I forget if TG/FDG maintains Judo Throw's Stunning effect from Basic and Martial Arts (a successful Judo Throw requires the target to roll against HT or be stunned from the impact, even if no damage is involved), which could potentially be in play... although the Barbarian is more likely using Wrestling than Judo.

Last edited by Varyon; 03-28-2023 at 08:21 AM. Reason: mixed up prone and supine
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb