Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Munchkin JK

Default Newbie question re: "discard"

So, as an example, when fighting a Level 12 Tongue Demon the instructions on the card say "must discard one item (your choice) before combat". Okay, does that mean from my items in play or can it by from my hand. Or is that what "your choice" means? Can someone define the definition of "discard" where no specifics are given? Many thanks.
Munchkin JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
NeosMagus

Default Re: Newbie question re: "discard"

It needs to be an Item from in play, it could be any Item currently in front of you (a card with a Value, could be armour, weapon, or one-shot). Discard means to put the card in the discard pile, you don't get any benefits from it anymore, and you cannot use it to power an ability that asks for discards.

I believe a previous ruling states that cards in your hand are "Cards" not Items. An Item card only becomes an Item when you put it in play.
NeosMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin JK View Post
So, as an example, when fighting a Level 12 Tongue Demon the instructions on the card say "must discard one item (your choice) before combat". Okay, does that mean from my items in play or can it by from my hand. Or is that what "your choice" means? Can someone define the definition of "discard" where no specifics are given? Many thanks.
Are you saying that the Tongue Demon doesn't give specifics? It says you must discard an Item, and the term "Item" is is defined in the rules. The rules also say that cards in your hand "don't count," which is to say that they are just cards in your hand, and not the specific type of card they would represent when in play. Obviously, if a card or rule says to discard a certain type of card from your hand, that's different, but in the general case, an Item card in your hand is just a card, and not an Item. So, the Tongue Demon actually gives a sufficient amount of specifics.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Munchkin JK

Neos Magus - Thanks for the clarification on my question without being all smug and snarky like Mr. Super Moderator. Apparently he forgets that this is the Munchkin 101 forum so people like myself who are new to the game - and new to any type of game like this - might have trouble keeping up with all the rules and come here for help, not attitude. In fact, I'm going to go post a new thread now to see who might be helpful!
Munchkin JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm sorry that MunchkinMan's attempt at humor fell so flat. Rest assured, he will be wearing the Chicken On His Head for a while in penance.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

I was actually trying to determine where you saw a lack of specifics, and I was pointing out where the specifics were in that case. I was not at any point trying to be funny, and I'm sorry if my attempt to help you see where the actual specifics came from came across wrong.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, discard