Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2017, 01:38 AM   #1
Henchman99942

Default Beast Summoning, Counterspell

What would be required to nullify an ongoing Beast Summoning spell?

Assume the mage who wishes to put a stop to the Beast Summoning is about 9 miles away from the caster, and that 'many animals' were summoned.

Would the countering spell be range dependent to the caster or only to the edge of the effected range?
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Beast Summoning, Counterspell

If you're near the beast not the Caster, just Cast "Banish" on the summoned beast, range is just from you to the "Beast"

Last edited by roguebfl; 07-26-2017 at 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Henchman99942

These are not extra-dimensional creatures. They are normal animals summoned using "Beast Summoning" from "GURPS 4th Magic" Page 30.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
ZmbeHntr

A lot of Meta spells would work if work you wanted to counter the spell, but at nine miles you would need to be using some alternate rules to allow Long Distance modifiers on spell casting. Things like Suspend Spell, Suspend Mana, Dispel Magic, Drain Mana, or Steal Spell might all work if close enough.

That said, if you aren't using Long Distance modifiers all of those above spells are useless. I think having your mage cast another instance of Beast Summoning might allow for a quick contest between the spells to see which caster the animals go toward. Either that or the animals will try to go in two separate directions at the same time and be rather irritable about the whole thing.
ZmbeHntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #5
Henchman99942

ZmbeHntr,

I did think of simply casting 'Beast Summoning' to bring the animals back. I would say that either the latest casting counts or that each spell competes for dominance in a given area, with distance modifiers and degree of success modifiers determining which spell controls what areas.

The effect of the Beast Summoning spell is felt 10 miles away. Do the distance modifiers count when measuring to the caster or the edge of the spell effect?

I haven't seen any discussion let alone an official ruling on this.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
ZmbeHntr

If the other caster is still maintaining Beast Summoning, then there would need to be a contest between the spells for the animals caught by both. You could make it very complex and roll for each animal caught by the spell and modify for proximity to the caster. I think it would be much easier to just roll once though for the entire overlapping area as a Quick Contest and call it good.

The effects may be felt up to 10 miles away, but it is a Regular spell. So all distances are measured from the person or object the spell is cast on, not the edge of the area since it is not an Area spell. The spell description also indicates that range does not matter, so I'm not sure why distance modifiers would even come into play.

No discussion on a specific spell from Magic is not surprising. See the many threads about the problems inherent with Magic if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole.
ZmbeHntr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beast, counterspell, summoning