Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Warp with Tunnel

Powers add the Tunnel enhancement to Warp on p. 89. It's +40% if it forms after you teleport and 100% if it forms before you teleport, but you don't have to use it.

So what if the tunnel forms before you teleport, but you have to use it or those that did before you go nowhere? Perhaps you automatically teleport when the tunnel closes if you didn't enter it before that.

It also says that the tunnel is about my size, but what if I want it to be larger? How much would that cost? Would adding Area Effect, be a good way to go?

And it lingers for 3d seconds. Can I use Extended Duration to increase that time if I wanted to?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: Warp with Tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Powers add the Tunnel enhancement to Warp on p. 89. It's +40% if it forms after you teleport and 100% if it forms before you teleport, but you don't have to use it.

So what if the tunnel forms before you teleport, but you have to use it or those that did before you go nowhere? Perhaps you automatically teleport when the tunnel closes if you didn't enter it before that.
If everyone teleported at once or auto teleport at end sounds about same as going first. In going first you have to face eventual problems at other end first, but would be the first to flee eventual problems at the place you leave, in the other option it is opposite.

Quote:
It also says that the tunnel is about my size, but what if I want it to be larger? How much would that cost? Would adding Area Effect, be a good way to go?
That is what I use in my games.

Quote:
And it lingers for 3d seconds. Can I use Extended Duration to increase that time if I wanted to?
That is what I use in my games. I also allow switching the 3d seconds to 10 seconds when you buy the power if you wish.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Where does everyone go before you use the tunnel? In the Far Astral Realm somewhere, all standing around together in an extradimensional space where Bob can punch Wade in the nose while waiting for you to go in the portal? Or they can get attacked by Far Astral Realm Monsters? Or are they in mysterious suspended animation in Nowhere, all effects on them suspended? All mortal wounds suspended, etc?

Or assuming you don't have a forced teleport at tunnel closure, where are they/what happens to them if you just didn't go through at all?

Regardless, you're going to have a problem where everyone appears in the same hex (or small number of hexes). This seems like a problem for me - where does everyone stand?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Regardless, you're going to have a problem where everyone appears in the same hex (or small number of hexes). This seems like a problem for me - where does everyone stand?
Ever seen Sliders? I've always thought of groups going through small portals as looking like that.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
sonic232

I've always seen Tunnel, +100% work kinda like the Portal Gun. No hallway, just a hole that happens to lead somewhere other than the opposite side of a surface. I have a Super in my campaign that uses her portals in this way to punch people out that are directly next to reflective surfaces.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Ever seen Sliders?
Nope. So I'm afraid that doesn't help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic232 View Post
I've always seen Tunnel, +100% work kinda like the Portal Gun. No hallway, just a hole that happens to lead somewhere other than the opposite side of a surface. I have a Super in my campaign that uses her portals in this way to punch people out that are directly next to reflective surfaces.
That's always been my impression as well. Go in one side, instantly transported out the other side. Warp being the power of instant transportation over space, it just made sense to me.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Ever seen Sliders?
Best pic I found: http://thalias.eu/wp-content/plugins...e-list-i10.jpg Unfortunately I didn't see anything for the arrival side (where as I recall they often fell down, because they jump through the portal rather than walk and have no idea what their landing surface looks like).

Four people spanning less than two yards in the pic, maybe even in one hex -- which is RAW-legal. B384 says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B384
Each human-sized or smaller fighter must occupy one hex. Exceptions include close combat (see Close Combat, p. 391), swarms (see Swarm Attacks, p. 461), and situations in which people are crowded together but not fighting (you could cram up to four ordinary-sized humans into a single hex, if they were friendly).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Nope. So I'm afraid that doesn't help me.
Just imagine the Three Stooges coming out of a slide at the same time. Eventually, they got smart and started carrying a mattress with them for every jump, because a group of people falling onto hard ground is quite unpleasant.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic232 View Post
I've always seen Tunnel, +100% work kinda like the Portal Gun. No hallway, just a hole that happens to lead somewhere other than the opposite side of a surface.
I have too.

Quote:
Where does everyone go before you use the tunnel? In the Far Astral Realm somewhere, all standing around together in an extradimensional space where Bob can punch Wade in the nose while waiting for you to go in the portal? Or they can get attacked by Far Astral Realm Monsters? Or are they in mysterious suspended animation in Nowhere, all effects on them suspended? All mortal wounds suspended, etc?

Or assuming you don't have a forced teleport at tunnel closure, where are they/what happens to them if you just didn't go through at all?

Think of it as sort of a stargate. They enter and are in transition, where no one can act or be acted upon. So effectively in suspended animation. When you enter, you will instantly exit on the other side and the rest of them will exit after you.

If you don't enter and the tunnel closes, those who did enter will return to where they were before they entered the tunnel, or close to that point. Basically in a group in front of where the tunnel was. More people having entered the tunnel will make that area larger and more crowded.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
If everyone teleported at once or auto teleport at end sounds about same as going first. In going first you have to face eventual problems at other end first, but would be the first to flee eventual problems at the place you leave, in the other option it is opposite.
So that would be a +40% enhancement for what I suggest? You can still go first of course, so it seems slightly more useful than the RAW enhancement, but not as useful as the +100% enhancement.

Quote:
That is what I use in my games.

That is what I use in my games. I also allow switching the 3d seconds to 10 seconds when you buy the power if you wish.
Cool.

Tags
warp