Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-11-2020, 04:30 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default November Status Report

Steve has a new update at the official website:

https://thefantasytrip.game/news/202...status-report/
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Terquem

Default Re: November Status Report

Thanks - I think writing a hex crawl sounds interesting. I'll try to look up the example mentioned and see how that is supposed to look.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
larsdangly

All of this sounds really exciting; it is great to see how much work and ambition continues to go into this game line.

I love the concept of bringing the 'hex crawl' style of adventure play to TFT; it is a totally natural extension of the approach the system has taken to tactical-scale labyrinth games. But I would say it would benefit from adding a bit of structure to the relevant rules so it feels something like a 'game within a game'. I.e., there should be a defined hex-crawl turn duration, a way to convert your MA into hex-crawl movements, hex-crawl actions that are performed each turn, and so forth (though perhaps that is all that is needed, other than a terrain chart and something about line of sight in outdoor spaces). A couple pages of this sort of material would go a long way toward making hex crawling its own fun form of play.

Presumably you've also given some thought to material components that would be used when hex crawling. You might look at the kickstarter called 'hexplorer' for some ideas about how that might look.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
Terquem

Those are the sorts of ideas I put into my draft outline for a hex crawl adventure I was thinking about this morning when I realized I was not going to be able to avoid overthinking it.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Skarg

It surprises me to consider hex crawls new to TFT, as In The Labyrinth's Dran map seems to me to suggest that the default mode of running a campaign is a dynamic hex-mapped campaign.

I guess by hex-crawl Phil means the style where nearly every regional map hex has some pre-planned content in it?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
larsdangly

People mean different things by this term, but my point was that if you want some new scale or mode of play to feel like a game as opposed to the 'free time' chatter between encounters, then you need to give it a little shape by way of turns, movement rules, etc. Even early forms of D&D did this in its own way.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Skarg

I think ITL already provides that in the form of the travel rules, though they are a bit scattered in different places, and leave it up to the GM to do the rate/time/distance math for situations other than "how far can we travel in one type of terrain in one day?". A well-done improved set of travel & exploration rules is something I'd personally love, and would be useful for this sort of product, though I'm not sure framing it in terms of "hexcrawl rules" rather than "travel & exploration rules" would be helpful for other than some specific format of adventure content.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:08 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

No new rules needed or wanted. The book Steve references is an excellent example of a hexcrawl adventure/supplement.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #9
Shadekeep

If I understand the usage of the term ("hex crawl" is a new one on me, though the concept is not), you may already have one in the slush pile. Quite a fan of this style of adventure.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:08 AM   #10
Steve Plambeck

The term "hex crawl" is a new one on me too, but has the concept really never been done before? Granted it's 35 years since I played those early TFT MicroQuests, but didn't things like Quest for the Silver Dragon utilize a color, regional hex map with freedom of movement from one location to the next? With the various sites you could visit tagged with paragraph numbers, or some mechanic very much like that? I could actually dig it out and look, but I don't feel like moving four or five heavy storaqe boxes to get to it tonight :)