Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
A Ladder

Default [Powers] Stealing Attributes

I have a player who wants to build a character that can steal attributes. The power was described to me as being from a god of balance, so whatever is taken must be given away. The player originally does not want to gain these attributes. What's the best way to do this?
Also, let me know if option 3's homebrew enhancement sounds fair.

Option 1:
I could build the "draining" part as Leech with Steal (Other Score) for various Attributes and pair with an Energy Reserve (Special Recharge: Leech -70%). And build the buffing part as Modular Abilities with (Physical/Mental +100%; Only Afflictions that give Attributes -50%; Trigger: Leeched ER -30%; Accessibility: only similar attributes -35%) that gives Afflictions built as Affliction (Attribute +X%; variable Costs ER -y%).

The problem with this build is that it doesn't do variable drains very well. If the player steals 5 ST from a guard and gives it away we go calculate the points, but if he then steals 3 ST and gives it away, we calculate all other again, ad naseum. That will kill play time.

Option 2: Same draining as option 1, but the buffing would be Affliction (Attribute +X%; Cumulative +400%; Costs 1 ER -5%; Trigger: Leeched ER -30%; Accessibility: only similar attributes -35%). Then increase affliction level and ER cost to the level of what the player wants.
This option is cleaner and can add layers over time, but is sssllllloooowwww for buffing.

Option 3:
Neutralize does Power Theft +200%. High Attributes are kind of like powers, why not make a homebrew enhancement that allows Attribute Theft at +200%? This enhancement would let Leech take an attribute from a target, at the leeched rate, and let the player leeching the attribute score keep it. If they went to get another target's attribute, it would not stack but instead use the highest drained. Leeched attributes would drain away at the rate of FP recovery.
I could build as Leech (Steal (Other Score) +X%; Cosmic: Allow keeping of Attributes stolen +50%; Attribute Theft +200%.

This has the benefit of being simple at play and has it's own built in limiter based on two canonical abilities merged together. Is it fair?
(To give to other players, as the player requesting the power indicated, I would use the Wishing +0% enhancement from Serendipity to give to others but not to the leecher.)

Option 4:
I build as Affliction (Attribute Penalty +x%) for the draining and Affliction (Attribute +Y%; trigger: only after draining an attribute -30%; accessibility: like attributes only -35%).

This build is straight forward and simple. However, it only does static amounts (I could ad Variable, but what is the incentive of taking a smaller amount at a time?)

Option 5:
Similar to option 4 but allow Cumulative on both builds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: [Powers] Stealing Attributes

I don't understand your complaint about Option 1. What are you recalculating every time? You know you bought enough Modular Abilities for an Affliction up to X IQ or DX, 2X ST or HP, and 4X Per or Will. What needs recalculating?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Devil_Dante

i'm interested in this way to build leech for my PC.

How should i build it?
I was thinking about stealing only strenght from my opponent with a leech attack, so
leech 3 (accelerated healing, +25%; steal ST, +100%; malediction 2,+150%; ranged, +40%; reliable 4,+20%) (+295%) [148]

in this way we drain ST from my oppomemt as a malediction attack

but to convert HP into ST?? how should i do??
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dante View Post
i'm interested in this way to build leech for my PC.

How should i build it?
I was thinking about stealing only strenght from my opponent with a leech attack, so
leech 3 (accelerated healing, +25%; steal ST, +100%; malediction 2,+150%; ranged, +40%; reliable 4,+20%) (+295%) [148]

in this way we drain ST from my oppomemt as a malediction attack

but to convert HP into ST?? how should i do??
Go back towards the Ops idea. Make the healing recharge a ER with special Recharge that powers your Attribute boost.
Or skip that and put Accessibility on ST
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Option 1 seems like the straightforward way to do it. Though I have to repeat Bruno's question: what recalculation? You do the math once at build time, and know that you paid to be able to drain X points. You can always choose to do less than X. You don't have to recalculate for that during play -- anything under the max is good, anything over the max is impossible.

For Option 1, I'd suggest that you build the "give away" part as a single Affliction that has a Link to the Leech. If you're Leeching ST, then you have a Linked Affliction (ST). (I'm assuming you can't give away other attributes powered by stealing one, just transfer the one you stole.) This will be cheaper than a Modular Ability, not to mention simpler since you don't have to invent an "attributes only" Limitation and worry about the proper value. You can stack four Leech+Affliction abilities with the Alternative Abilities rule, which for so few abilities will also likely come out to be cheaper. (A reconfigurable Cosmic MA only pays off when you need a lot of flexibility.)

The Link means both abilities activate with a single Maneuver. If you want to be able to "hold" the attribute for a while and give it away later, perhaps to someone that wasn't around during the initial theft, then the Energy Reserve is a better way to go. In that case, I'd build 4 Leeches (one for each attribute) as an AA group and 4 Afflictions as another AA group, with the ER (Special Recharge (Leech)) as the "holding tank".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Option 1 seems like the straightforward way to do it. Though I have to repeat Bruno's question: what recalculation? .
Ignore the initial poster, its a thread Necro,
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Option 1 seems like the straightforward way to do it. Though I have to repeat Bruno's question: what recalculation? You do the math once at build time, and know that you paid to be able to drain X points. You can always choose to do less than X. You don't have to recalculate for that during play -- anything under the max is good, anything over the max is impossible.

For Option 1, I'd suggest that you build the "give away" part as a single Affliction that has a Link to the Leech. If you're Leeching ST, then you have a Linked Affliction (ST). (I'm assuming you can't give away other attributes powered by stealing one, just transfer the one you stole.) This will be cheaper than a Modular Ability, not to mention simpler since you don't have to invent an "attributes only" Limitation and worry about the proper value. You can stack four Leech+Affliction abilities with the Alternative Abilities rule, which for so few abilities will also likely come out to be cheaper. (A reconfigurable Cosmic MA only pays off when you need a lot of flexibility.)

The Link means both abilities activate with a single Maneuver. If you want to be able to "hold" the attribute for a while and give it away later, perhaps to someone that wasn't around during the initial theft, then the Energy Reserve is a better way to go. In that case, I'd build 4 Leeches (one for each attribute) as an AA group and 4 Afflictions as another AA group, with the ER (Special Recharge (Leech)) as the "holding tank".
I'm still not uderstanding how to "steal" attributes from you opponent with leech(steal attributes): i'm pretty sure that "steal" is unappropriate word, because you do damage to his attributes, but you will heal HP, not the attribute stolen. Or i am wrong?

What i am aiming for is very simple: inflict ST (or, HT/IQ/DX) penalty to my opponent and buffing my score of the same value (for 1 minute/10 secs/1 hour.....)

But i am missing something

edit: reading more carefully, you were suggesting to link an affliction to improve attributes (i imagine as an advantage). In this way is possible to heal HP and improve attributes

Last edited by Devil_Dante; 02-20-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dante View Post

edit: reading more carefully, you were suggesting to link an affliction to improve attributes (i imagine as an advantage). In this way is possible to heal HP and improve attributes
Yeah the original op knew the rules pretty well.
There is no attack advantage that lets you boost your attributes but you can buy up your attributes on a limitation that requires you drain them.
You dont need Affliction though, that was because the op wanted to give bonuses to others. There are cheaper builds then the proposed Modular Abilities to create different Afflictions though.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah the original op knew the rules pretty well.
There is no attack advantage that lets you boost your attributes but you can buy up your attributes on a limitation that requires you drain them.
You dont need Affliction though, that was because the op wanted to give bonuses to others. There are cheaper builds then the proposed Modular Abilities to create different Afflictions though.
indeed.. there was something too strange!!

so, i buy leech [148] using my example above, then i buy attribute with limitations:
ST 10 (accessiblity, only rechargeable with leech, -70%; ) [30]
and is it all, right??
In this way i heal HP as normal per leech, and ST for accessibility. But in this way how much time the ST buff lenghts?? I supposed i shall use "maximum duration" for Power

Well, leech is very expansive, point wise.. the effect is good, but is not affordable..

anyway, do you mind explain me what the modular ability used for??
Thank you
Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Ignore the initial poster, its a thread Necro,
Thanks; I failed to notice that.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote