Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
SirGavvin

Default [MH] Need help building holy magic item

I am trying to build a sword similar to Amoracchius from The Dresden Files...

Standard magic enchantments don't seem to cover all of the abilities and Imbuments don't seem right as they allow the character to put the abilities into any weapon. I am thinking Powers is the way to go, but I am not familiar enough with them to make a decent start. Can someone please help me get started?

Here is what is known of the sword:

In combat, the sheer power of the blade emits a thrumming sound and bright light that seems to banish shadows and can momentarily blind those around the wielder. Amoracchius can harm supernatural (even insubstantial) beings, its cuts being left in flames that cauterize the wound, and is an incredibly powerful object of faith.

As with the other Swords of the Cross, Amoracchius loses its power and might be broken when used for reasons contrary to its nature: in this case, out of hatred or when used against an innocent being.
SirGavvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:40 AM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: [MH] Need help building holy magic item

Honestly, you can't price it and you can't really stat it. Its a worldly item. An artifact. It can only be used by those chosen by god and only for a certain reason and can do everything you mentioned.

If you have it, DF 6 Artifacts has a weapon called Flashing Sunblade. Check it out as it seems to be the closest thing to the sword of love.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
SirGavvin

I see... That is so much simpler than what I was trying to do.
SirGavvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGavvin View Post
I see... That is so much simpler than what I was trying to do.
I wrote the "The Hunter's Reliquary" in Pyramid #3/82: Magical Creations which is a distillation of DF6, but for Monster Hunters. You might want to check there for how such objects work in MH. You should be able to shift stuff from DF6 right over to those rules with little issue.

(I also wrote up a version of the three blades with the serial numbers filed off for my Patreon, if you're a member. But that material has long since been removed.)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Anaraxes

If you want to build an item with abilities attached to the item, the usual place to start would be with the Gadget Limitations. The Gadget -- a sword, in this case -- grants abilities to its wielder. So you build a bright flash attack and the wielder can use it as long as they're holding the sword.

If you want the sword to do things on its own initiative without the wielder having to concentrate (etc), then it's really an independent, intelligent NPC in sword form. So you'd probably start with Ally, and give that Ally its own abilities.

If you don't care about point costs, then just write down what the sword does and/or lets the owner do with it.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote