Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-08-2021, 04:32 AM   #11
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Picking Cleric Spells

It’s a bit outdated, in the sense that I know better about some things by now, but most of this is still on point:

http://archonshiva.com/blog/df/?p=132

Also, cool cleric trick: get scrolls of major healing ($20-80 for 1-4 points), they require no roll when touching the target so you don’t have to worry about accruing penalties.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:54 PM   #12
ArchonShiva

Updated above link a bit by request.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:59 PM   #13
DaosusLeghki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Updated above link a bit by request.
Thanks very much! It was an informative read (again).
DaosusLeghki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #14
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexplicableVic View Post
It's particularly important when someone suffers a heart attack.
Does Stop Bleeding actually do anything to help a heart attack victim? I'd have no complaint if a GM wanted to wing a new rule and let the "stabilize mortal wound" feature of Stop Bleeding replace the normal requirements for rescuing a heart attack victim. But FWIW, I don't see anything like that in the rules. Maybe I'm missing it.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:44 AM   #15
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Oh yes -- and it can be used to stabilise mortally wounded characters. Hopefully you won't need that too often, but when you need it, you need it.
Each of the three times players in my group (across different games) have tried to use Stop Bleeding to save a mortally wounded character, the result has been a critical failure. Mortal wounds are rare enough, but repeated critical failures in completely different circumstances have led us to rename the spell to "Finish Bleeding".
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #16
LordMunchkin

My first instinct would be to pick spells that heal and/or deal with bad statuses. Then I would pick spells that deal with difficult enemies such as ghosts and mind controlling enemies. Then I would pick buffing spells. I wouldn't overlook some good utility spells like Detect Magic, Create Food, or Create Water.

The problem with Cleric spell lists is that every cleric is gonna want to be a generalist if they're the only one in the party. This makes me kinda wish that Bards and Druids had access to basic healing spells if only to take up some of the slack in the beginning at least.

However, for a basic generalist Cleric spell list, I'd use this:
  • Affect Spirits
  • Astral Vision
  • Awaken
  • Create Food
  • Create Water
  • Cure Disease
  • Detect Magic
  • Flaming Weapon
  • Great Healing
  • Hide Thoughts
  • Major Healing
  • Minor Healing
  • Neutralize Poison
  • Protection from Evil
  • Recover Energy
  • Restoration
  • Sense Evil
  • Stop Bleeding
  • Sunlight
  • Suspended Animation
LordMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #17
LokRobster

I highly recommend Hand Of Asgard for some awesome Cleric themes and worked Spell lists, as well as nifty powers associated with each deity.

The link above is to Gaming Ballistic’s site, check out the 4th sample page for an example of a Cleric of the All-Father. (Also on Warehouse23, where you can download the sample pages)

Having a theme is a great way to choose Spells, I like the lists that others have posted.

Last edited by LokRobster; 08-04-2021 at 10:06 PM. Reason: W23
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #18
simonhard

I'm sorry, of course, but could one of you tell me where to look at the guides for this game or give some advice. Since I recently started playing it and do not understand what and how. And the only place I get companions from is with https://dndguide.net/, where I found a character for myself and am studying it. But the problem is something else, namely, because I have never played this game, I do not understand anything. And I want to see something in practice as an example, you can say. But I can't find anything normal on YouTube.Therefore, if you somehow help me, I will be pleased.

Last edited by simonhard; 08-24-2021 at 03:29 AM.
simonhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:06 PM   #19
DaosusLeghki

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhard View Post
I'm sorry, of course, but could one of you tell me where to look at the guides for this game or give some advice. Since I recently started playing it and do not understand what and how. And the only place I get companions from is with https://dndguide.net/, where I found a character for myself and am studying it. But the problem is something else, namely, because I have never played this game, I do not understand anything. And I want to see something in practice as an example, you can say. But I can't find anything normal on YouTube.Therefore, if you somehow help me, I will be pleased.
Hello Simon,

Please understand that the guide you found is for Dungeons and Dragons. It is a similar game to DFRPG or GURPS, but not the same thing. The easiest option to try GURPS Lite. If English is not your primary language, there are several other versions available on the same site. The PDFs are free and legal. If you would like to see some people playing the game, there are many such videos on YouTube. I recommend this one.

You can also review some pre-written combat examples here.

You can join the unofficial GURPS discord server as well, at https://www.themook.net/gamegeekery/...iscord-server/. There is a great community there for both GURPS and DFRPG. I recommend posting any questions you have in the #gurps-for-newcomers channel.

There are no free options available for Dungeon Fantasy RPG, but it is nearly completely compatible with GURPS. If you enjoy GURPS Lite, you can pick up GURPS or DFRPG at warehouse23.com.
DaosusLeghki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spell lists