Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2020, 07:05 AM   #1
DaltonS

Default [Spaceships] Query: Can dirt shielding reduce an IR Signature?

It started as a tagline in a post, but as I considered it took on the dimensions of a real question. When the Pyramid #3/34: Alternate GURPS article "Alternate Spaceships" introduced the concept of Spaceships as Buildings (page 9) I wondered if putting heat producing systems in the basement levels would reduce their IR signature from outside. How would I determine and calculate this? (Remember sensor readings on a building would not serve the same purposes as those on a spaceship.)
Dalton “Well, is there a reactor down there or not?” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
Daigoro

Default Re: [Spaceships] Query: Can dirt shielding reduce an IR Signature?

Earth is an insulator, so you'd need somewhere to vent your heat if you don't want to cook your inhabitants. That's either out to the surface, probably with air or water cooling systems, or maybe into the surrounding bedrock, which would require more extensive heat exchange piping.

The other problem is that on Earth-like planets, the rock gets warmer as you go deeper, so how effective your cooling is depends a lot on the planet and local geological conditions.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
Tyneras

Presumably for some sort of bunker?

The thick layer of dirt would be a good insulator and diffuse the heat signature over a larger area, but the heat still has to go somewhere so IR sensors would be a bit spot of slightly warmer dirt rather than a sharp point of heat.

Maybe a "Planetary Cooling System" that reduces IR signature by 1 per system, presuming there's enough space around the building for the buried radiators, +1 effective SM per -1 to IR signature. I have no numbers to back this up, just eyeballing it.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Earth is an insulator, so you'd need somewhere to vent your heat if you don't want to cook your inhabitants. That's either out to the surface, probably with air or water cooling systems, or maybe into the surrounding bedrock, which would require more extensive heat exchange piping.
Well my current project is a base on Mars that is mining a frozen underground aquafer for ice so cooling isn't a problem. I was more interested in what kind of barrier being underground would be to IR sensors. Also, could exposed radiators use the surrounding dirt/rock as a heat sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
The other problem is that on Earth-like planets, the rock gets warmer as you go deeper, so how effective your cooling is depends a lot on the planet and local geological conditions.
I'm more interested in IR detection than cooling at the moment but that is a concern for structures on warmer planets.
Dalton “Interesting topic, IR Stealth for Underground Structures” Spence
Old 09-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
Daigoro

Quote:
I'm more interested in IR detection than cooling at the moment but that is a concern for structures on warmer planets.
Okay, but how effective your cooling is limits how much you can supress your IR sig. If your local geology is no good for cooling, you have to shed heat to the atmosphere and generate an IR sig. But as Tyneras said, you might be able to spread that out and keep it close to background levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
Well my current project is a base on Mars that is mining a frozen underground aquafer for ice so cooling isn't a problem. I was more interested in what kind of barrier being underground would be to IR sensors.
This helps, obviously. I think you'd be looking at flowing meltwater as your heat medium, instead of the ice itself, as the ice in contact with your radiators would melt soon anyway. This might pose some engineering challenges, but the idea of dirt muffling your IR sig is okay. You'd probably have a heat reflective layer under the dirt too, to keep your heat loss directed downward.

Quote:
Also, could exposed radiators use the surrounding dirt/rock as a heat sink?
Yes, but not as effectively as flowing air or water. Rock has a greater thermal mass than air, but once all the rock next to your radiators heats up, its efficiency as a heat sink drops (heat transfer is proportional to the difference in temperature between the two heat masses). Thus you'd need to spread out your radiators over a large underground volume.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
It started as a tagline in a post, but as I considered it took on the dimensions of a real question. When the Pyramid #3/34: Alternate GURPS article "Alternate Spaceships" introduced the concept of Spaceships as Buildings (page 9) I wondered if putting heat producing systems in the basement levels would reduce their IR signature from outside. How would I determine and calculate this?
Okay, the big problem with infrared signatures is that heat, once produced, can't be destroyed; it has to go somewhere. Thus, the aim of IR shielding, to the degree it's realistic at all, is to make the heat go somewhere where it can't easily be detected. This generally involves one of four strategies:
  1. Efficiency: if you can improve your systems so they produce less heat to start with, your signature is reduced. Note that solar panels are using energy that would otherwise have been producing heat anyway, and thus have no net signature (they are usually visible for other reasons, however).
  2. Diffusion: you can spread your heat out over a large area, hopefully falling below the noise threshold of enemy sensors. Spreading the heat emissions over 100 times the area doesn't actually reduce the amount of heat, but it increases the background noise by a factor of 100, making any signal much more difficult to identify. This is more practical for air and water vehicles, as there is a large quantity of fluid available to mix in, but can be done on the ground as well.
  3. Storage: you don't have to radiate heat away at all, you can store it somewhere. It will probably eventually radiate away, but you can possibly delay for long enough to make the issue moot, and you can certainly delay by enough to smooth out any heat spikes (with similar benefits to diffusion).
  4. Directionality: it is in principle possible to block heat emissions in particular directions. Unfortunately, this requires you to know what directions likely sensors are. For ground-based facilities this is mostly equivalent to diffusion (you put up an umbrella to prevent heat going upwards, it goes sideways, heats up the stuff to the sides, and you wind up with a large diffuse blob).
Old 09-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Yeah, it's not really a barrier situation. IR signature isn't about directly seeing the heat-producing system, anyway, at least in a realistic treatment: it's about seeing the external radiators that are connected to the heat-producing system. Which section the system itself is in doesn't make an appreciable difference.

Being embedded in the ground means that the vacuum radiators can be replaced with a ground-conduction heat sink, probably consisting of a network of heat conductors buried in the surrounding rock. This doesn't reduce the amount of heat available for people to see, but it does make it pretty easy to spread the heat over a large area and a lower visible temperature. It also would be possible to put the heat sink displaced from the main installation.

In addition to making detection harder as Anthony notes, this means that when someone does spot your heat signature they still don't know where you are with any precision. So they'll have to do more work before they can shoot you or land an assault team on your roof.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Thus, the aim of IR shielding, to the degree it's realistic at all, is to make the heat go somewhere where it can't easily be detected. This generally involves one of four strategies:
Another possible strategy is disguise. You could join the heat sink for a covert element to a larger legitimate one and hope that the overall difference isn't noticed, you can make your signature look like something else (for example, a tank with a heat signature which mimics a truck's), or try to make it look 'noisy' by blocking patches (in the same way that conventional camouflage can break up a solid shape into a confusing mess). None of those seem like great strategies for hiding an industrial operation in your basement though.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
DaltonS

Thank you everybody! I had no idea the issue was so complicated. (Silly me, looking for a simple answer.) Still, a lot of good advice here that I will take into account if I design an underground base that really needs to stay hidden. The surface features of my Martian “Gas” Station would make it pretty obvious. Now though you've got me worried about heat management. Mars is pretty cold so you sink a lot heat there but do I need any special provisions for a long term base with an underground reactor? (Please reply through the above thread.)
Dalton “a largely satisfied inquirer” Spence
Old 09-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
ut do I need any special provisions for a long term base with an underground reactor? (Please reply through the above thread.)
Dalton “a largely satisfied inquirer” Spence
The heat will find its' own way out. Your only issues are it doing it too slowly or having too much go through the hman-inhabited areas. Several usable suggestions have been made.

You might not need an. Subteranean tunnels could be too cold and if you pump in any outside atmosphere that's going to need a lot of warming. There's even a fair bit of temprature range between "melted ice" and "human friendly environment".

I think it extremely likely that any problems are solvable without excessive difficulty.

Tags
pyramid #3/34, spaceships