Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #11
khorboth

Default Re: [kids game] Ideas for dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Adult dragons will need a language that can be understood by trainers and they'll need to be able to understand humans.

And the adolescent stage needs to be able to breed for humans to think of that stage as the final/adult stage. Otherwise you get situations like "Where'd you get that dragon (egg)?" "From that giant dragon-like creature that definitely wasn't a dragon itself."
Yes. In the wild, adolescents lay eggs, and the adults facilitate the Elevation stages.

In the Kingdom, adolescents lay eggs, the Altar facilitates the first Elevation, and they fly off for second Elevation.

Adults will be able to converse with humans through magic.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
Kalzazz

Have you seen the Flamecraft Kickstarter? It has super cute Dragon art
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Have you seen the Flamecraft Kickstarter? It has super cute Dragon art
I have now.

It's totally adorable. And just a little more cutesy than I want. Probably.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #14
mehrkat

I think I would probably add a "Dragon" MetaTrait to essentially any animal.

Off the top of my head +10 or so strength, size modifier 2ish (regardless of what size they started) a minimum strength for things like a mouse or a rabbit.

Some level of DR

Some sort of breath weapon with a couple of options using alternative powers: a shooty one person version and a hit several people version and maybe just a chew inanimate version. Give a standard number of points though the flavor will matter.

and of course Flight and some way to make them able to carry a person maybe "cargo space"

Then just have fun with it make the Rabbit Dragon pink and purple pokadots, the Wolf Dragon is Orange or Bright Green. The lizard dragon is blue.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:59 PM   #15
DeadParrot

Another source of friendly Human/Dragon interaction is the Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders series. Maybe for the kids, Fire Lizards would be good enough. A friend that can sit on your shoulder, breath fire, fly and teleport should provide many plot hooks. And it avoids the issue of how to deal with the dragon eating the neighbor's cow.

Plus the Pern setting runs from the basic Feudalistic society in the first books all the way to a Science Fiction setting in the later origin books.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote