Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzarious View Post
Valford nods and smirks when Vorno mentions the rivalry. As Vorno goes over the quirks of HIS (Fore/Upper/Starboard) reactor, Valford Pays attention and even pulls out pad to jot down notes if Vorno seems to be paying particular mind to a certain aspect of its operation. He asks questions occasionally along in the lecture to give the impression of his desire for knowledge as well as let him know that he is a team player and wants his team to preform well.

Val also wants to know who he will be working with and so asks for an introduction should they meet with anyone on his team. Also keeping an eye out for anyone that might be on the opposing reactor, even though he doubts he will see any of them since they work in separate areas. Keeping that in mind for when they might cross paths in the mess.
Each reactor has two people watching it at any given moment, plus three managers over the whole set. There are three shifts. So its just Valford and Vorno over this reactor. They've got seven coworkers on the upper reactor crew (including the upper reactors manager) and four compatriots who work the same reactor on different shifts. Vorno points each of them out. The manager is Thie (pronounced like 'thigh') Zuchi, a heavy set man who always seems to be scowling.

He also points out Zorni Borbithu, the senior tech on the rival reactor. Mr. Borbithu has a mechanical eye and long thin limbs. He speaks easily and quietly.

You certainly have the opportunity to cross paths with them in the mess: you all eat in the same crowded room at the same assigned times, and until the hydrogen bricks start moving, you'll spend a good deal of your free time in there as well.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:01 AM   #12
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pothi mentions the tip of deck 18, which has "Sanity Ports" --- the only windows to outside of the ship. Right now there isn't much to see, as they are in port. Besides, the two are EVA crew. They will eventually find a inadequately locked plasma emmiter*. Pothi checks a couple he knew of during his service, but they have all been fixed, which is pretty expected.

* plasma emmiters are the metallic brown boxes with "scoops" pointing outwards.
[OOC] Can you explain the significance of the plasma emitters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They are always welcome at the great rotating hyperdrive and its capacitors: that's part of their responsibilities. Its a fairly new hyperdrive design, as these things go: designed in the Malu empire 50 years ago. Day isn't terribly familiar with what makes it special, though he's aware of some operational quirks. Finding out the manufacturing secrets is some else's job, and at this point, the Malu have another drive in service, at least for imperial craft rather than the stuff versatile nations buy. Right now the drive is being slowly spun as part of a maintenance test.

Are there any places Day will prompt Pothi to show him?
"Thanks for the tour, now I guess I better get a good look at the drives. Any quirks of them from your last service onboard I should know about?"
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
"Thanks for the tour, now I guess I better get a good look at the drives. Any quirks of them from your last service onboard I should know about?"
Pothi: "When we're spinning up for a Hyperspace Jump they'll often get into a resonance with the gravity plates. Most the problems occur during the spin up for the hyperspace jump. Which is probably better than the alternative, problems when spinning down. The Plasma emmiters sometimes get gummed up with sheild-dust. That happens on any warship, but here it happens mostly on the lower-port side. Not sure why."

The Drive was cutting edge Malu technology, when it was designed 50 years ago with distance per jump (and therefore speed) in mind. Nightfall would have been a fast ship, strategically speaking. She wouldn't be now, not against a major power, but she is one of the faster vessels in the Jakorbi force. One of the reasons she was chosen as a Dreadstormer target.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:20 AM   #14
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Day nods and gives Pothi a grin, "Thanks for the information, I can see you're going to be useful to have around! Well, I think I should spend some time going over the hyperdrive and becoming familiar, but maybe later we can take a closer look at some of the rec facilities? I know gambling isn't looked at too favourably on board, but I imagine someone will get a game going before long, and I couldn't say 'no' to that!"

He thinks to himself, I lucked out with this one, but now I've got to figure out how to handle the psi suppressors so I can start building up my crew.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day nods and gives Pothi a grin, "Thanks for the information, I can see you're going to be useful to have around! Well, I think I should spend some time going over the hyperdrive and becoming familiar, but maybe later we can take a closer look at some of the rec facilities? I know gambling isn't looked at too favourably on board, but I imagine someone will get a game going before long, and I couldn't say 'no' to that!"

He thinks to himself, I lucked out with this one, but now I've got to figure out how to handle the psi suppressors so I can start building up my crew.
Pothi: Deck 19. The games won't show up until a few days or so after we get underway, but the action will be on deck 19.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

I'd like an acting roll from each of you. This will cover your activities up to and during the launch of the ship. Could you also give me a mechanic (Reactor) role and a mechanic (stardrive) roll.

The ship is launching on a Saturday at 08:35 leaving the dock and then jumping into hyperspace. The exact route and destination are both unknown.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #17
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

[1] 20-07-15 01:58:34 CEST

Acting

3d6 <= 14
6 + 4 + 4 = 14 ... success

[2] 20-07-15 02:00:15 CEST

Mechanic (Stardrive)

3d6 <= 14
3 + 2 + 5 = 10 ... success

Over the next few days, Day familiarizes himself with the stardrive, ensuring it is in good working order...and that he knows how to disable it if needed. In the mess, he has pointed out to a few people the "odd taste" in the food (whether it is present or not), and suggests it's probably the psi- suppressants they add to it. If he can do so subtly, he tries to find out whether it is added in the kitchen, or whether it is already present in the food supplied to the ship. Let me know what skill he needs to roll against to do so.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

For being able to disable or "nudge" the stardrive, I'll want a mechanic (stardrive) roll.

For the odd food taste, he needs to roll acting at -2 to conceal his true purpose, and he needs to roll some sort of influence skill to get the information he wants. Good candidates include street-wise, SF(military), and mediocre candidates include fast-talk and diplomacy (an additional -2 to acting roll to conceal purpose). If you have some skill you want to use a complementary skill (psychology for identifying the right crew member to complain to), go ahead and roll it, and give me the reasoning behind it.

Sinzarious, we're waiting on your rolls.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #19
Sinzarious
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
[4] 20-07-16 03:15:40 CEST

Valford- Mechanic(Fusion Reactor)

Dreadstormers {IC} Post #16 Rolls

3d6 <= 14
4 + 4 + 5 = 13 ... success

Quote:
[3] 20-07-16 03:13:39 CEST

Valford-Acting

Dreadstormers {IC} Post #16 Rolls

3d6 <= 14
5 + 2 + 6 = 13 ... success
Valford Thanks Vorno. "I appreciate you showing me around and pointing out the others. I look forward to working with you. I really need to get myself situated in my bunk and get something in my stomach, but I will be seeing you again soon."

Valford takes his leave if Vorno is finished with him and goes to get the layout of his bunk and the mess he will be using, and where they are located in reference to other parts of the ship. Over the next few days he attempts to make some friends, getting a feel for the people he is around. He regales others with his party exploits and some practical jokes he has played on other crewmen in the past to try and loosen up the mood. During meals he seems downhearted at the choice of cuisine and after a few of the more distasteful or less lively meals he laments about 'real' food and how he wishes there was a way he could at least get some fruit or vegetables that the kitchen staff hasn't 'butchered' yet. Snack food like the equivalent of apples or bananas, or whole carrots or celery and even candy bars or something else pre-wrapped and unadulterated. Dropping hints and feeling out the conversation while he watches the others to gauge their reactions (without actually coming out and saying smuggled onboard) Maybe looking for the name of someone who might be able to help him out with the problem through conversations. Hopefully being able to maybe 'put in an order' before they leave the port.

Valford also takes the time to set up his bunk trying hard to get a bottom bed. Looking for possible places where he might be able to stash contraband. Maybe a panel that might be able to remove in a less accessible place like in a corner or under his bunk. Also observing his bunkmates and trying to judge the reactions to having a stash spot, or maybe observing anyone doing something similar.

Last edited by Sinzarious; 07-15-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Sinzarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:19 AM   #20
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
For being able to disable or "nudge" the stardrive, I'll want a mechanic (stardrive) roll.

For the odd food taste, he needs to roll acting at -2 to conceal his true purpose, and he needs to roll some sort of influence skill to get the information he wants. Good candidates include street-wise, SF(military), and mediocre candidates include fast-talk and diplomacy (an additional -2 to acting roll to conceal purpose). If you have some skill you want to use a complementary skill (psychology for identifying the right crew member to complain to), go ahead and roll it, and give me the reasoning behind it.
[5] 20-07-16 12:16:50 CEST

Acting-2 to suggest psi-suppression drugs give the food an odd taste

3d6 <= 12
1 + 5 + 3 = 9 ... success

[6] 20-07-16 12:17:38 CEST

Savoir-Faire (Military) to try to find out when the psi-suppression drugs are introduced to the food.

3d6 <= 15
6 + 5 + 3 = 14 ... success

[7] 20-07-16 12:19:13 CEST

Mechanic (Stardrive) to find out how to disable or "nudge" the stardrive

3d6 <= 14
5 + 1 + 2 = 8 ... success
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.