Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2021, 01:30 AM   #1
arcanus

Default [Psionics] Worldline Rules

Hi All,
I've searched for previous threads to avoid raising the living-thread.

I need some ideas on how Psionics would be affected by different Worldlines, now I like differing Mana for Magic but I don't want to take the Mana for Psionics route as I feel it diminishes Psionics.

However don't want the Iswat super telekinetic running around scott free when the mage's fireball will barely light a match.

So what other interesting ways are there to challenge or mix up psionics on different Worldlines, an example being the Telekinetic is currently on Reign of Steel.

I like the fact that he is an anomaly and if he uses his powers too often he becomes a subject for investigation and dissection for the Zoneminds however I want to throw him a few different curve balls.

Thoughts, ideas?
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:25 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: [Psionics] Worldline Rules

Well, you could have people of some parallels be randomly incompatible with PSI (effectively having resistant to psi).
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:01 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

The default in GURPS is that anything that is not dependent on ambient energies (like mana) functions anywhere. Now, you could say that there is psionic interference or the like, but you should probably consider adding an extra -5% to the power modifier if it is a really common phenomenon, just out of fairness.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

If you bought 50 points worth of basic strength, but was told when jumping to a new world, "I'm sorry, but no one's stronger than a 9." wouldn't you feel cheated?
A limitation to an advantage's usefulness should come with a discount. How much of course would be setting dependent and on just how common PCs will encounter the downgrade.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If you bought 50 points worth of basic strength, but was told when jumping to a new world, "I'm sorry, but no one's stronger than a 9." wouldn't you feel cheated?
A limitation to an advantage's usefulness should come with a discount. How much of course would be setting dependent and on just how common PCs will encounter the downgrade.

I agree.

On the other hand, Psionics already has a couple of built-in limitations, and you should use those. Other psionic powers and psychotronics interact with it. Either of those could be within reach of some zoneminds, with Brisbane leading the pack, as usual. Psychotronics are probably more likely, though zone Denver might have a few surprises in in terms of having psionic powers.

You can also place psionic features in your landscape. This works better for telepathy than TK, but imagine a world that has a psychic scar over an old battlefield that causes pain to anyone with powers who walks over it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
Hi All,
I've searched for previous threads to avoid raising the living-thread.

I need some ideas on how Psionics would be affected by different Worldlines, now I like differing Mana for Magic but I don't want to take the Mana for Psionics route as I feel it diminishes Psionics.

However don't want the Iswat super telekinetic running around scott free when the mage's fireball will barely light a match.

So what other interesting ways are there to challenge or mix up psionics on different Worldlines, an example being the Telekinetic is currently on Reign of Steel.

I like the fact that he is an anomaly and if he uses his powers too often he becomes a subject for investigation and dissection for the Zoneminds however I want to throw him a few different curve balls.

Thoughts, ideas?
The simplest thing to do is have it be societally based rather than world-rules based. If a setting has loads of psionics, the people there will be more prepared on how to deal with them than one where only 0.01% of the population has any, and similarly a world that doesn't have any psionics at all would be a walk in the park.

If you do go for the world-rules way of making psionics more or less useful at different places, make sure to let the players know when they make their characters - communication is key.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
awesomenessofme1

Half of the power modifier for psionics is based on the existence of anti-psi technology. If they're going to spend most of their time on worldlines that are low-tech and/or mundane, I might consider dropping the value of Psionic to -5%.
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
DangerousThing

The other half of the power modifier is that there will be anti-psi occasionally. Some worlds will have more than others.

On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with one world in a lot of worlds just not allowing psionics. Some don't allow tech above a certain level, some don't allow magic.

Last edited by DangerousThing; 02-11-2021 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Accidentally closed too soon.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Well, you could have people of some parallels be randomly incompatible with PSI (effectively having resistant to psi).
That is an interesting idea for some parallels, especially if psionics aren't known to the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The default in GURPS is that anything that is not dependent on ambient energies (like mana) functions anywhere. Now, you could say that there is psionic interference or the like, but you should probably consider adding an extra -5% to the power modifier if it is a really common phenomenon, just out of fairness.
Hmmm psychic static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
To be clear this isn't about stripping the player down, we've gamed together for 20 plus years so they know my shenanigans - no this is about making sure psionics have a interesting flavour on different worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You can also place psionic features in your landscape. This works better for telepathy than TK, but imagine a world that has a psychic scar over an old battlefield that causes pain to anyone with powers who walks over it.
This I like, environmental features that offers a related but different aspect tl magic so said battlefield is mana expected to death and affects psionics through empathic pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
If you do go for the world-rules way of making psionics more or less useful at different places, make sure to let the players know when they make their characters - communication is key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Half of the power modifier for psionics is based on the existence of anti-psi technology. If they're going to spend most of their time on worldlines that are low-tech and/or mundane, I might consider dropping the value of Psionic to -5%.
Absolutely as per above point, happy to also add world appropriate (and perhaps surprising) enhancements v limitations. (maybe even a table)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with one world in a lot of worlds just not allowing psionics. Some don't allow tech above a certain level, some don't allow magic.
That is a good point, as people have said as long as the Worldline flavour (limitations or conditions) are balanced
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #10
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I would be inclined to interpret "technology" liberally. On preindustrial worlds where psionics is common (and gets a -5% discount for technological countermeasures), there may be herbal preparations and so forth that interfere with it.

Tags
infinite worlds, psi powers, psionic campaigns, psionic powers, worldlines