Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Gate Gem

A wizard holds only one gate gem while casting the first half of a Create Gate.

At some later time any person holding that gem can toss it against a wall where it will shatter and complete the gate back to the location of casting, with the rules that were set during that casting.

Would you allow gate gems in your campaigns and if so with what costs and limitations? (Perhaps the gate starts flickering as soon as it is setup?)
Old 01-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: Gate Gem

I'd put the cost somewhere between Long Distance Teleport and a regular Gate. Shading to one or the other depending on how restrictive the rules are.

If I were to use one, I'd probably treat it as a one-off item the PCs got from someone/somewhere else, specifically for the campaign, and not worry about adding it to the canon, or cost and creation rules.

Apologies for the copping out on your actual question. A good answer probably involves more math than I'm up to right now.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
David Bofinger

My usual question in such circumstances: how would this make the game more fun than it is now? Why do you think it's a good idea?

I can see some stories it removes from the game, like "A powerful wizard is travelling to a gate location when he gets into trouble, the PCs are nearby," and I can see stories it enables, like "A gate gem is stolen" with a few possible motives like busting into the other end's location or establishing a gate to a place that otherwise hasn't been authorised one. On balance maybe a slight improvement?

Magic items designed to enable interesting adventures would be excellent.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:28 AM   #4
Steve Plambeck

It would be a cool thing to have under these limitations: only the 2nd half of the Gate can be stepped into, and both ends collapse in a couple minutes.

Then this effectively becomes a pair of Dorothy's ruby slippers, a free way home for a small party after a long journey, or a sudden escape from an untenable situation. Maybe just add Ruby Slippers to the list of magic items instead! :)

Otherwise, letting such a Gate work in both directions, even for a relatively short period of time, would undermine any defensive position. If one person with a gem like this gets inside any citadel, a whole army of attackers could appear inside. Now it's a Trojan horse you could carry in a pocket, and military strategy ceases to exist.

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 01-28-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Steve Plambeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
a pair of Dorothy's ruby slippers, a free way home for a small party after a long journey, or a sudden escape from an untenable situation. Maybe just add Ruby Slippers to the list of magic items instead! :)
Is that a good thing? It feels like it reduces the stakes. If I can bail at any time then I don't fear combat as much.

Quote:
letting such a Gate work in both directions, even for a relatively short period of time, would undermine any defensive position.
Pretty much. Destroy Creation is a lot more useful for sabotage than defence.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Pretty much. Destroy Creation is a lot more useful for sabotage than defence.
I had never considered that, but I don't see anything that keeps a wizard from erasing a gate (of any size) with that 1 ST spell, other than the fact that the other side of the gate is outside of thrown spell range.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #7
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Is that a good thing? It feels like it reduces the stakes. If I can bail at any time then I don't fear combat as much.
It makes a good deus ex machina for some story lines. A dungeon so egregious relative to the party, they might find their way to the goal but wouldn't have any hope of fighting (or finding) their way out again. A prisoner you might only have a chance to rescue if a PC got themselves arrested, tried, and locked up in the same cell while smuggling in the gate gem.* An item you must get home by a deadline, but the round trip would take twice as long as the time you have. So a few interesting plots could be possible if the GM let the party have such a trinket -- and woe unto them if they lose the thing before they need it, or waste it too soon.

Of course the thing has to be so expensive, or only available once through the GM, to prevent PCs just carrying around a spare one that could ruin your future plans.

* The PC could swallow the gem before getting them self arrested. But if some jolt set the thing off prematurely there'd be quite a mess to clean up at the home end of the gate.

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 01-28-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Steve Plambeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #8
larsdangly

Love it; this is a really cool idea for expanding the properties and uses of gates without having it be a free for all.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
hcobb

You could always just bring a goblin witch and a 50 point powerstone...
Old 01-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #10
Senturian

Yes please, My Wizard could always find a use for a 50 point Strength Battery.
The Witch?, yeah...well...umm...ya see there was this group of Prootwaddles and umm...well, things didn't go well for her.
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote