Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #21
larsdangly

Default Re: The Invulnerability Problem

That's pretty reasonable and opens up the possibility of things like jousts that have physically realistic results (i.e., it should be possible to get unhorsed without being dealt a mortal wound when you joust in heavy armor). But why set the threshold at 10 when you could just use the established knock-down threshold of 8? I.e., you could just say that 8 points of damage is automatic knock down (RAW) and 8 points dealt before armor protection is a 3d roll to avoid knock down (almost like a 'free' shield rush attack if you manage to deal lots of damage in one blow).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #22
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
But why set the threshold at 10 when you could just use the established knock-down threshold of 8?
Good suggestion, Lars! I was just being conservative. Having the knockdown effect at 8 is certainly easy to remember, and probably more realistic.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #23
David Bofinger

Quote:
it should be possible to get unhorsed without being dealt a mortal wound when you joust in heavy armor
One way to implement this would be to say: If you inflict a point of damage, and he doesn't, then you can force a retreat off the horse.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #24
MikMod

Quote:
But why set the threshold at 10 when you could just use the established knock-down threshold of 8?
Ooo I like this.

But why not set the threshold at the figure's ST? It's in the right range, and I like anything that gives ST a bit more heft.

I also like the image of over-armoured goblin wizards being thrown through the air despite their 'invulnerablity'. :)
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:01 AM   #25
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
Ooo I like this.

But why not set the threshold at the figure's ST? It's in the right range, and I like anything that gives ST a bit more heft.
This would make very few attacks meet the threshold for the saving roll, especially against larger and stronger figures. Having the figure roll against ST (which I originally and erroneously wrote) doesn't scale up to those bigger targets. But maybe you could require an extra die on the saving roll if the gross damage was at least the target's ST? I've not tested that in any melees, but I don't think it would overbalance anything.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #26
hcobb

So replace the fall over at 8 damage with a contest between the damage inflicted (before armor) vs the target's ST? With no automatic success.

So a blow of 3 points has a one in 6^3 chance of even engaging in the contest.