Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Crack the whip rules.

About to do a PSA about the dangers of the whip rules. Anybody got decent replacements?

Flinger vs Lizard

Last edited by hcobb; 03-21-2020 at 03:53 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Crack the whip rules.

I've never encountered a problem with whips having an unbalanced advantage. They certainly provide some special opportunities, but so do many other things. In any event, I have yet to see a character who seemed to benefit unfairly from one.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
Skarg

To appreciate the problem, play a very experienced melee fighter character who survived years of battle and can defeat most foes. even groups of foes, in melee combat, then put him up against two opponents: a starting character with fairly high DX and a whip and/or lasso, and a starting character with ST 15 DX 9 pikeaxe. Have your foes move so that the whip can attack you before you can engage them, watch it knock you down as easily as if you were an unarmed ST 8 DX 8 figure with no talents facing the wrong direction. Then watch as the pikeaxe charges you while prone. You might survive long enough to be tripped and charged again.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
larsdangly

I generally don't find 'white room' arguments compelling; it is just too easy to pitch them in such a way that important assumptions get skipped over quickly or go unstated. In the case of the 2 on 1 fight (something I'd say could be easy to win in lots of different strategies, but that's a different question...), the key point is that you assume the chump in the story ends up in exactly the wrong place: in reach of the whip, in charging distance of the pike axe but not engaged with either and not placed in such a way that one blocks the other's line of attack. That's just such a set up job that its hard to interpret it as a statement on the relative values of various 'builds'.

I'm a lot more convinced by real experiences involving play between combatants who are both trying to win.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote