Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
naloth

Default Re: Knowing your own strength's Striking Strength

I've taken the opposite approach and reduced everything to a log value for cinematic 4-color games. It was actually surprisingly easy, you just apply the same formula to any value or dice value (avg result, then convert back to dice) for existing values greater than 14. It puts firearms, tanks, armor, cars, and even buildings on the same scale as KYOS values. It does produce a few odd results (a really good damage roll can do a lot of damage to something that would otherwise be absurdly tough, but likewise powerful attacks don't automatically red mist things either).

Eventually I might try it with threshold wounding for better results. I haven't read the article yet, but it sounds like it would combine nicely.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I've taken the opposite approach and reduced everything to a log value for cinematic 4-color games. It was actually surprisingly easy, you just apply the same formula to any value or dice value (avg result, then convert back to dice) for existing values greater than 14. It puts firearms, tanks, armor, cars, and even buildings on the same scale as KYOS values. It does produce a few odd results (a really good damage roll can do a lot of damage to something that would otherwise be absurdly tough, but likewise powerful attacks don't automatically red mist things either).

Eventually I might try it with threshold wounding for better results. I haven't read the article yet, but it sounds like it would combine nicely.
Do you have any example of how numbers the change? So at strength 20 your life is equal to 10 people and you deal 10d6 swing damage?
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfi View Post
Do you have any example of how numbers the change? So at strength 20 yo
Remove Text Formatting
Fonts

ur life is equal to 10 people and you deal 10d6 swing damage?
From KYOS and using the baseline that everything expands at the same rate with a log progression such that:
ST 20 BL 200 lbs Thr 3d
ST 30 BL 2000 lbs Thr 5d+1 (~Spidey's ST)
ST 40 BL 10 ton Thr 8d (~Thing/Colossus ST)
ST 60 BL 1k ton Thr 13d (Superman recent movie)

Here's what a few basic book weapons look like (nothing below 4d is affected):
TL6 Concussion Grenade was 6d, now 4d+1
TL7 Concussion Grenade was 10d, now 6d
TL7 Frag Grenade was 8d[3d], now 5d+1[3d]

Assault Rifle was 5d, now 4d+1
Hunting Rifle was 7d, now 5d
Sniping Rifle was 9d+1, now 5d+2

ATGM was 60d(10d), now 10d+1(10)
SAM was 18d, now 7d+1
HMG .50 was 13d+1, now 6d+2

Bazooka was 6dx2(10), now 6d+1
RPG was 6dx3(10), now 7d+1
LAW was 6dx6(10), now 9d+1

You can also rescale the animals, vehicles, and armor in other books either using KYOS rules or this:
Old ST/DR 20 now 16
Old ST/DR 30 now 20
Old ST/DR 40 now 22
Old ST/DR 60 now 26
Old ST/DR 80 now 28
Old ST/DR 100 now 30
Old ST/DR 150 now 33
Old ST/DR 250 now 38
Old ST/DR 500 now 44
Old ST/DR 1k now 50

You get a very cinematic, very playable 4 color world. It's basically what film, TV, and Supers play like.

For stacking (since these are log values):
Use highest and add +3 for equal values, +2 if they are within 1 or 2 lower, +1 with 3-5 levels, +0 otherwise.

Example
DR 20 + 20 (layered/cover) = DR23 for protection.
DR 20 + 19 (layered/cover) = DR22
DR 20 + 16 (layered/cover) = DR21
DR 20 + 14- (layered/cover) = DR20 (no benefit).

It also helps explain why a character (dragon? Super?) with good DR won't bother with armor. There's marginal benefit and only if it's nearly as tough as the character.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
naloth

FWIW, you can compare the Archetype template from 4e Supers and see how these changes perform pretty quickly.

The Archetype had a ST 320 w/Super Effort for a BL 10 tons and Thr 33d. Under this system that's roughly equivalent to ST 40 Thr 8d. His DR100 becomes DR 30. You pay regular price for both ST [300] and DR [150] for about 450 points without modifiers (-10% Super will save you 45 points). I'd skip IT:DR/100 entirely saving even more. Under the official version the total for the three abilities was 1207. 405 "feels" better in relation to other abilities you could buy.

Official version gets 20 fatigue worth of use before he's essentially unable to injury another Archetype. Official version does an average of 122 damage (35d punch including skills) or 22 past DR, taking 2 hits past pretty good defenses to put another Archetype negative. Usually they will run out of fatigue long before injuring each other and resort to taunting while they huff and puff.

My version does an average of 28 damage base usually adding a few bonuses to bring him up to 30ish damage. He does virtually no damage on average to the template's DR 30, but he can have a very, very long slugfest that eventually ends in one of them getting lucky. Under the new DR system, I'd suggest dropping the template's DR to the 25 range since everything that isn't an anti-tank weapon (which has a /10 divisor anyway) bounces off DR25 most of the time. Add Striking ST to taste (perhaps +8 for +2d damage or +16 for +4d damage), and you have a flying brick that fights how you see in movies/comics.

Summary of Effects
-Brick type characters are considerably less expensive.
-Log damage essentially "bakes in" IT:DR. Instakills from a single attacks are rare.
-High ST values tend to range from 20-50. You don't need to go higher.
-DR typically caps out at 30. Better balance between armor divisors and raw damage.
-Innate Attacks are usually 10d or less. At 10d you can often damage tanks or buildings. With a few dice less and an armor divisor you can easily damage them.
- Stacking (DR, ST, abilities) usually isn't that much of a bonus if you already have 10+ in that ability. Superman or the Thing won't get anything from layering some Kevlar. Conversely, someone with plate mail (DR 5ish) will get a +2 for layering scale mail and a +1 by layering leather armor. This fits genre conventions.

Last edited by naloth; 10-29-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
Malfi

Ah now I kinda get it, thanks for posting.
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote