Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #1291
Otaku

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Sure, I was just adding more detail. I actually like both Wendell and Hal, though GL's tend to be self righteous jerks ;)
Yup.

Just to try and avoid future confusion:
  • I was unaware of Wendell's origin until recently in this thread; might have known it when I was younger, but I didn't put two and two together to realize it was such a direct parody of Hal Jordan's origin as a Green Lantern.
  • Fred Bracken explained how a particular superhero archetype traced back to the Silver Age Green Lantern. I am unaware if he was just expanding upon the discussion or if he was under the mistaken impression I didn't understand the relationship fully.
  • I then had some odd wording in my last response where I tried to clarify, so I am doing it again because I still can't tell. ^^'
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #1292
David Johansen

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Nova and the original New Universe Star Brand are both riffs on the Green Lantern origin.

Thor and Captain Marvel's stories both feature a supposedly loving fatherly figure with a beard who constantly jerks them around and berates them.

On the other hand, Billy Batson is a pretty heroic and gutsy kid whereas Don Blake was generally played as a pathetic weakling who couldn't even work himself up ask out his beautiful nurse. JMS did both Don Blake and Jane Foster a huge favor when he reworked them.

Has anyone stated up Bill and Kelda yet?
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #1293
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Has anyone stated up Bill and Kelda yet?
No sign yet of Bill, son of Bill, nor of Kelda the Frost-Maiden.

Bill, though, would have a Dramatic Death Perk; he's one of the few mortals who earned his place in Valhalla, after all.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #1294
Phantasm

VERMIN

Identity: Secret.
Legal Status: Presumably a citizen of the United States, possibly with a criminal record.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Presumably single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Pawn of Arnim Zola and Baron Zemo.
Base of Operations: New York City.
History: The man currently known as Vermin was a homeless man living in sewers and homeless shelters of New York City when he was abducted by scientists working for Arnim Zola and AIM on behalf of Baron Zemo (see AIM; Baron Zemo; Zola, Dr. Arnim). AIM's scientists performed a number of experiments on the man, including retroviral injections of rodent DNA, which gave him many features similar to those of rats.

Vermin was then commanded by Zemo to send the city's rats and stray dogs after Captain America in the latter's home in Queens (see Captain America). The Captain managed to defeat Vermin, though the latter escaped and fled into the sewers, leaving a trail to Zemo's lair clear enough for the Captain and his young partner, Bucky, to follow (see Bucky). This was, however, a ruse as Vermin was leading the two into one of Zemo's traps.

Zemo, deciding that Vermin's usefulness was at an end, had Vermin chained between Captain America and Bucky, intending to kill all three of them. The three got free, however, and Vermin disappeared in the chaos. Captain America decided to let Vermin go, cautioning Bucky that Vermin was a bigger victim of Zemo than they were.

A man matching Vermin's description was later seen living among the Morlocks in the tunnels under Manhattan (see Morlocks). Whether this was indeed Vermin or just someone with a similar appearance is currently unknown.
Height: 6' 0".
Weight: 220 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: Vermin possesses enhanced strength enabling him to lift (press) roughly half a ton.
Known Superhuman Powers: Vermin's body has been altered to grant him several physical features common to animals, particularly rats. His hands and feet end in sharp claws, and his teeth are incredibly sharp. He is able to hear in the ultrasonic range, and is able to see clearly in near darkness, though his eyesight has degraded to make him extremely nearsighted. His skin and fur grant him a moderate degree of protection. His physiology is such that he is able to run at speeds up to thirty-five miles per hour.

Vermin is also able to talk with and command rats, feral dogs, and similar animal life in a manner that is believed to be at least partially psionic. The number of rats and stray dogs he can control at once is unknown.

563 points
Attributes:
ST 12 [20]; DX 15 [100]; IQ 9 [-20]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+2 (2d+2/5d-1); BL 29 lbs. (125 lbs.); HP 12 [0]; Will 10 [5]; Per 13 [20]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 7.25 [0]; Basic Move 6 [-5]; Dodge 11.
Languages: English (Accented/Illiterate) (Native Language) [-4].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Animal Control Talent 2 [10]; Beastmaster 4 [40]; Catfall [10]; Claws (Sharp Claws) [5]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Damage Resistance 6 (Tough Skin, -40%; Passive Biological, -5%) [17]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Enhanced Move (Ground) 1.5 (Passive Biological, -5%) [29]; Lifting ST +13 (Costs 1 FP, -5%; Passive Biological, -5%) [36]; Mind Control (Area Effect (64 yds), +300%; Specific: Urban Wildlife, -40%; Psionic, -10%) [175]; Night Vision 9 [9]; Reduced Consumption 2 (Cast Iron Stomach, -50%) [2]; Resistant to Disease (+8) [5]; Resistant to Poisons (+8) [7]; Speak With Animals (Specialized: Urban Wildlife, -50%; Psionic, -10%) [10]; Street-Smart 4 [20]; Striking ST +13 (Costs 1 FP, -5%; Passive Biological, -5%) [59]; Teeth (Sharp Teeth) [1]; Ultrahearing [5].
Perks: Fur [1]; Pet Rat [1].
Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Bad Sight (Nearsighted) [-25]; Hidebound [-5]; Innumerate [-5]; Jealousy [-10]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Social Stigma (Freak) [-10]; Social Stigma (Uneducated) [-5]; Stress Atavism (Moderate) (12) [-15]; Wealth (Dead Broke) [-25].
Quirks: Asks Pet Rat For Advice [-1]; Distractible [-1]; Immodest [-1]; Never Smiles [-1]; Refuses To Answer To Birth Name [-1].
Skills: Animal Handling (Dogs) (A) IQ+4 [2] – 14*; Animal Handling (Rodents) (A) IQ+4 [2] – 14*; Area Knowledge (New York City) (E) IQ+3 [8] – 12; Artist (Woodworking) (H) IQ+0 [4] – 9; Beast Control (H) IQ+5 [16] – 14†; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4] – 17; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1] – 14; Forced Entry (E) DX+0 [1] – 15; Mimicry (Animal Sounds) (H) IQ+3 [2] – 12*; Mimicry (Bird Calls) (H) IQ+2 [1] – 11*; Panhandling (E) IQ+4 [1] – 13‡; Running (A) HT-1 [1] – 13; Scrounging (E) Per+4 [1] – 17‡; Stealth (A) DX-1 [1] – 14; Streetwise (A) IQ+3 [1] – 12‡; Swimming (E) HT+0 [1] – 14; Throwing (A) DX-1 [1] – 14; Tracking (A) Per+1 [4] – 14; Urban Survival (A) Per+3 [1] – 16‡; Weather Sense (A) IQ+1 [4] – 10; Wrestling (A) DX+0 [2] – 15.
Features: Born Biter 1 [0].
Starting Spending Money: $0.

* Includes +4 from Beastmaster.
† Includes +2 from Animal Control Talent.
‡ Includes +4 from Street-Smart.

Role-Playing Notes:
Vermin just wants to be left alone with his rats. However, others keep drawing him into conflict with superheroes.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:12 AM   #1295
David Johansen

Bill Son of Bill

ST 12 [20];
DX 10 [0];
IQ 10 [0];
HT 10 [10];

Advantages:

Disadvantages:
Sense of Duty (Everyone He Knows) [-15];

Skills:
Athletic Games (Basketball) 10 [2];
Brawling 10 [1];
Broadsword (Baseball Bat) 10 [2];
Climbing 9 [1];
Cooking 12 [4];
Drive (Pickup Truck) 10 [2];
Rifle 10 [1];
Swimming 10 [1];
Throwing 10 [2].

I think that's about it. The whole point of the character is that he's just an average small town guy. I've assumed he's somewhat conversant in outdoor activities but he doesn't really excel or stand out at anything. I could see another point in Dexterity and Intelligence or more points in skills but in the end he's just a very ordinary guy who has by some quirk of fate captured the heart of a powerful goddess.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:24 AM   #1296
David Johansen

Kelda

ST 20 [100];
DX 12 [40];
IQ 12 [40]; while Loki calls her 'bovine' I think she's decently intelligent.
HT 20 [100];

Advantages:
Damage Resistance (skin) 10 [30];
Very Beautiful [25]; she might even hit Transendant but nobody ever really says it.
Unaging (requires golden apples once in a while)
Lifting Strength +30 [90];
Lightning and Wind Storm 10d burning (Area Effect x32, Increased Knockback x4)
Flight [40];
Magical Aptitude 3 [35];

Skills:
Brawling 12 [2];
Broad Sword 12 [2];
Dancing 12 [2];
Sex Appeal 12 [2];
Singing 12 [2];

I'm assuming she's on the low end of Asgardian physical capabilities. She could easily have a couple hundred points of Lifting Strength that just never came up. There's a number of things we've seen Kelda do that I'm not quite sure how to stat. Being able to have her heart ripped out and put back in and survive comes to mind (hard to kill or injury tolerance), or placing a deadly enchantment on a spear conjured from ice. Maybe modular abilities would be best. The ennui that leads her to pursue Bill strikes me as depression, let's face it Kelda is vulnerable and mopey, but I'm not sure which disadvantages that would tie to. She could be perceived as an outsider or barbarian or mutant but I'm not sure it would matter as she mostly lives in Asgard which sadly has returned to its own plane. Any thoughts?

Last edited by David Johansen; 06-12-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #1297
Phantasm

Bill and Kelda's builds look interesting, and I like that Bill is just so average! Now, the real question - world-building-wise - is how can we work them into a Thor title that's set primarily in Houston, TX, when on Earth?

Okay, Bill is a small-town guy at one of the big city universities, first time away from home. But what would bring Kelda down from Asgard?

Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #1298
Phil Masters

A simple curiosity about human culture and society?

Even if you follow the Marvel-cinematic line about Asgardians having matched and surpassed human technology centuries ago, you've got a whole world's worth of art and philosophy, and for that matter, ecology, history, and the rest. If Asgard has recently renewed contact with Earth after a few centuries of isolation, an Asgardians with a modest bump of curiosity might learn enough to want to slip down incognito and spend a few years soaking up the ambience.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #1299
David Johansen

I'm not so sure Bill's university material. Looking for work in construction or the oil patch seems more likely. He's a solid short order cook, though I'm not so sure his diner ever recovered from The Warriors Three taking over when he went to Lativria with the rest of the Asgardians.

Perhaps Kelda, seeking Thor, flees to Huston pursued by renegade Asgardians and Bill takes a stand when things are looking bleakest. Because if there's one thing Bill son of Bill isn't it's a coward or a rubbernecking bystander. He sees three berserker gods bearing down on a frightened lady and he steps up.

Kelda probably needs broader weather control powers, as I look at it.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #1300
Phantasm

VIPER

Occupation: Professional mercenary, former advertising executive.
Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record.
Other Aliases: Jordan Dixon.
Place of Birth: Los Angeles, California.
Marital Status: Divorced.
Known Relatives: Leonard (alias Eel, brother); ex-wife (name unrevealed).
Group Affiliation: Serpent Squad.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: As a young man, Jordan Stryke started his career as a junior copy writer for an advertising firm, working his way up through the ranks over the years to become a mid-level account executive. As time went on, he became convinced the public would buy anything if it was advertised properly. It is not known when he got the idea to become a costumed mercenary.

When he was contacted by his brother Leonard regarding the gambling debts Leonard had racked up, Jordan's slick tongue convinced his brother to become a costumed criminal to raise funds. Leonard took the identity of the Eel, with Jordan secretly funding the creation of the Eel's uniform (see Eel). Encouraged by this, he kept track of the Eel's career while making contact with a number of other snake-themed criminals and mercenaries. Taking the name of the Viper, he busted his brother out of prison to join the team he dubbed the Serpent Squad (see Serpent Squad).

As the leader of the Serpent Squad, Viper led the team in several corporate espionage missions before coming into conflict with Captain America, who had been asked to investigate (see Captain America). Viper got away by shooting the Captain's young partner, Bucky, in the back with a reportedly fast-acting lethal poison, then offering the antidote in exchange for his freedom (see Bucky). The Captain reluctantly agreed, but while his back was turned the Viper shot the Captain with the same venom.

The Serpent Squad again came into conflict with Captain America not long after, this time when the Squad was being investigated by the government team Freedom Force (see Freedom Force). Viper nearly convinced one of Freedom Force, the serpentine Slither, to defect to the Serpent Squad, and instigated a fight between Captain America and Freedom Force over it (see Slither). However, the Captain and Freedom Force's field leader, Crucible, managed to set aside their differences long enough to work together to capture most of the Serpents, including Viper (see Crucible). Following that, Viper was sent to prison.

Viper was later seen, ironically in full costume with prison orange over it, during the prison break led by the Rhino, alongside the other Serpents who had been imprisoned (see Rhino). He has since been seen looking up information on other serpent-themed costumed mercenaries and criminals.
Height: 5' 11".
Weight: 175 lbs.
Eyes: Unrevealed.
Hair: Unrevealed.
Uniform: Padded two-tone green bodysuit, green full-face cowl, black gloves, black boots, black belt with a green buckle.
Strength Level: Viper possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in moderately intensive regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Viper is skilled at manipulation of the media for advertising purposes. He is also a skilled hand to hand combatant, a nimble athlete, and a good shot with his wrist-mounted dart shooters.
Weapons and Paraphernalia: Viper uses a pair of gauntlets which he uses to shoot darts tipped with a variety of poisons. His right gauntlet also has an eight-inch long retractable poison-tipped blade.

375 points
Attributes:
ST 13 [30]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d/2d-1; BL 34 lbs.; HP 13 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 6.50 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Business Acumen 3 [30]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Fit [5]; Flexibility [5]; Hard to Kill 3 [6]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Merchant Rank 4 [20]; Talker 3 [15]; Wealth (Wealthy) [20].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Compulsive Rhetoric (9) [-7]; Odious Personal Habit (Speaks In Business Jargon) -1 [-5]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5].
Quirks: Careful [-1]; Dual Identity [-1]; Imaginative [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX-1 [2] – 12; Administration (A) IQ+3 [2] – 15*; Boxing (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Brainwashing/TL8 (H) IQ IQ-2 [1] – 10; Chemistry/TL8 (H) IQ+0 [4] – 12; Climbing (A) DX+2 [1] – 15†; Diplomacy (H) IQ+2 [2] – 14‡; Fast-Draw (Knife) (E) DX+1 [1] – 14§; Fast-Talk (A) IQ+4 [4] – 16‡; Forced Entry (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Guns/TL8 (Wrist Gun) (E) DX+3 [8] – 16; Holdout (A) IQ+1 [4] – 13; Intelligence Analysis/TL8 (H) IQ+0 [4] – 12; Jumping (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Knife (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Leadership (A) IQ+2 [8] – 14; Lifting (A) HT-1 [1] – 12; Lockpicking/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Market Analysis (H) IQ+3 [4] – 15*; Merchant (A) IQ+3 [2] – 15*; Observation (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Poisons/TL8 (H) IQ+0 [4] – 12; Professional Skill (Advertiser) (A) IQ+2 [8] – 14; Propaganda/TL8 (A) IQ+8 [20] – 20*; Psychology (Human) (H) IQ+2 [2] – 14‡; Public Speaking (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Running (A) HT-1 [1] – 12; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+3 [1] – 15‡; Savoir-Faire (Mafia) (E) IQ+3 [1] – 15‡; Shadowing (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Streetwise (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Swimming (E) HT+0 [1] – 13; Tactics (H) IQ+0 [4] – 14; Throwing (A) DX-1 [1] – 12; Thrown Weapon (Dart) (E) DX+1 [2] – 14.
Starting Spending Money: $17,900 (20% Starting Wealth, minus cost of armor).

* Includes +3 from Business Acumen.
† Includes +3 from Flexibility.
‡ Includes +3 from Talker.
§ Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.

Role-Playing Notes:
Viper is a con man at heart, holding most of the world in contempt over how easily people can be persuaded by mass media. A sociopath, he'll kill without mercy if the situation warrants it. He has an annoying habit of bantering as a salesman or con artist while in combat, which grates on everyone's nerves but his brother's, and tends to treat mission briefings as marketing seminars. Despite all that, he's developed into a decent leader. He likely has greater plans for the Serpent Squad than a mere squad of costumed mercenaries.

Design Notes:
1. Viper's uniform is meant to consist of a Reflex Tactical Vest (Ultra-Tech, p.*173) over the chest, with a Reflex Suit (Ultra-Tech, p.*172) covering the rest of the body.
2. It's quite likely that this Viper – not Sidewinder – will expand the Serpent Squad into the Serpent Society.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men