Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #11
Leynok

Default Re: [Powers] Vampiric Strike as a Innate Attack Modifier

There are two reasons why I can see the appeal in making Vampiric a modifier rather than simply modifying Leech. The first is the damage type, and the second is simplicity.
I would simply call it a +300% enhancement for an Innate Attack and call it a day. Otherwise I would buy Leech and the Innate Attack, Link them together at +10% and then just treat any damage dealt via the Innate Attack as damage by Leech for the sake of how much you heal (this has the benefits over the flat modifier in that you can customize your Leech more effectively, but may be to cheap or expensive depending on how strong or weak the Innate Attack is).
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
Varyon

Not RAW, but in theory Leech with No Wounding should heal you as long as your attack would harm the target, but doesn't actually cause injury. Linking that to another attack would mean you heal each time you hit, but without causing further injury. Link is +10%, but Limited to Injury of Linked Attack is going to at least negate that; in fact, let's just drop Linked from both attacks. The Accelerated Healing +25% Enhancement is going to make things a lot more efficient point-wise, so we'll apply that as well. So, Leech (Accelerated Healing +25%, Link +0%, No Wounding -50%). Simply having that has an entry fee of [21] (adjusted down to [15.75), and +[4] per HP healed (adjusted down to [3]). A Crushing Innate attack costs [5] per die, and gets adjusted up and down from there, but the price scales with injury, so we can just base our +% off of the base [5]. We need 1.17 levels of Leech [3.5] per dice of IA for the normal 3-to-1 exchange, 3.5 levels [10.5] per dice for the improved 1-to-1 exchange.

All told, you're looking at an "entry fee" of around [16], and then a +70% modifier for 3-to-1, +210% for 1-to-1. If you want to have something ST-based, have the base attack be a Natural Weapon rather than an IA.

A few notes, however. First off, while No Wounding Leech is probably fine for our purposes here, it should not be allowed by itself. The first level is functionally a modestly Limited version of Very Fast Regeneration, but is 19% the cost. 10 levels is nearly as bad, being 30% the cost of Extreme Regeneration. Secondly, I'd be tempted to drop the entry fee to [15], and maybe the modifiers to +65% and +200%.

Thirdly, and this is something of an edge case, but personally I'd argue that a character with multiple Leech abilities need only pay the entry fee once, and only for the most expensive Leech. For example, let's say we have a character who can Leech at range, can Leech with a bite, and has a sword capable of Leeching - we'll call him Kain*. Further, let's say he can only do the Ranged Leech on foes who are Stunned or Unconscious (I'd eyeball that at -20%) and he must target an open wound (comparable to Blood Agent, but can't use mucus membranes; maybe -50%). To Leech with a bite, the character needs to actually place his mouth on an open wound (typically, he'll make one in the process, using Sharp Teeth). That's comparable to having both Wound Only Blood Agent and Blood Agent, Reversed, albeit with the latter using mucus membranes (the mouth) rather than bleeding on the target. There's arguably a bit of overlap there, but -70% to -80% seems appropriate; we'll go with -80%. The sword is built as an Impaling Natural Weapon (base cost [8]), but it doesn't actually heal the character - rather, it recharges the sword's power (an Energy Reserve). That's Only Heals ER -20%, on top of the -50% for No Wounding. All versions have Accelerated Healing +25%. The most expensive Leech is the Ranged version, which is Leech at a total of -5% (+40% Ranged, -20% Stunned/Unconscious, -50% Open Wound Blood Agent); the entry fee is thus 95% of [21], or [19.95]. The bite and sword would normally have entry fees of [10] and [12], respectively, but we waive those because the character has already paid more than each for the Ranged version. The Ranged version costs [3.8] per level, the bite costs [1.8] per level, and the sword leech would cost [2.2] per level, but we're building it as an Enhancement, which works out to +55%; on a base cost [8] Natural Weapon, that's +[4.4]. It would be appropriate to make the Ranged Leech and the bite be Alternate Attacks.

*Yes, that Kain. Personally, for most vampires, I'd like to modify them to Leech BP instead of HP, which would make Kain's Ranged Leech a bit more useful for healing than it is above (where foes are likely to already be wounded enough that you might not gain much HP from draining them). Steal BP is probably +0%, but note this would get rid of the No Wounding on Kain's sword (although the rest of it can work as-is). That boosts its entry fee to [26.25], and its cost to [5]/level; as an Enhancement, this latter is +250%, so you're looking at an entry fee of [26.25] for everything (it takes over as the highest), and the cost for the sword's Leech jumps to +[20].
(For the one or two of you already familiar with my BP system, I'll note I've just changed it a bit to be a bit more GURPS-ey; under the older system, Steals BP would probably be a -20% or so modifier, as foes would have roughly twice as much BP)

Last edited by Varyon; 09-07-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #13
solidsingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
There are two reasons why I can see the appeal in making Vampiric a modifier rather than simply modifying Leech. The first is the damage type, and the second is simplicity.
How to change Leech's damage type was going to be my next question.
solidsingularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #14
solidsingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Not RAW, but in theory Leech with No Wounding
This is a great idea and also can cap the healing.
solidsingularity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imbuements, magic as powers, powers