Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
solidsingularity

Default [Powers] Vampiric Strike as a Innate Attack Modifier

This is a question I have had for some time.
solidsingularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Edges

Default Re: [Powers] Vampiric Strike as a Innate Attack Modifier

I think you have to Link it with Leech.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
solidsingularity

My only problem with this is that Leech does additional damage and it is flat damage
Old 09-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Edges

Could you just put modifiers on Leach to make it look like the IA you are looking for and not use IA at all?

As for flat damage, you can probably just reverse dice to adds or some approximation.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
solidsingularity

Do you think that the %100+ ST basted would be expectable?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Imbue 3: Cosmic: Can Imbue Innate Attack (+50%), Cosmic: No Die Roll Required (+100%), One Skill Only (-80%), PM (-10%) [64] + [1] point in Vampiric Strike. Satisfies pentaphilia with a cost of [65], and lets you heal off any of your Innate Attacks.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
chandley

I would modify Leech to be like the Innate Attack you want. Note that paragraph four expressly allows GMs to convert flat damage to dice if that is what is needed.

Weaponized (from Psionic Powers, p.21) will turn Leech with Ranged and Malediction 1 into a normal ranged attack a la Innate Attack. Having it inflict your bought levels of damage if the target fails a Will -5 roll (unaffected by DR) is worth +0%. Use things like based on other Attribute and the normal Innate Attack modifiers to adjust to taste.

If you where just going to create a new enhancement for Leech, it would need to be worth at least +140% by this math. +150% probably isnt a horrible place to put it.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #8
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsingularity View Post
Do you think that the %100+ ST basted would be expectable?
Leech's cost is 'per point of damage' and not 'per die' the way Innate Attack is. If you wanted a 'ST-Based' enhancement for Leech giving you Leech damage based on Thr, I'd eyeball it at +350%.

That said, Leech already contains RAW for building it as an innate attack and for converting flat numbers to dice. I don't see that this needs any sort of custom rules or modifiers; Leech is expensive, and making it both 'easier to use' and 'more powerful' should (and by RAW, does) make it 'much more expensive'.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
McAllister

Imbue 3 can give an attack AD (2) with an unpenalized roll, and Vampiric 3:1 with an unpenalized roll, so that seems to suggest that Vampiric 3:1 is about a 50% enhancement.

But it's also a "transformation skill" rather than an "enhancement skill," so maybe that's an issue.

Another Imbue 3 "transformation skill" is Strike of Negation, which is pretty similar to the Neutralize Advantage printed in Powers, p. 97. But Neutralize is its own 50pt Advantage, so perhaps it doesn't make sense to compare it to an enhancement. The other "transformation skills" are also difficult to approximate as enhancements.

Maybe this doesn't work as well as I thought. I'd propose a compromise between the 50% I estimated above and the 150% chandley estimated, and call it +100%.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
somecallmetim

This is off the top of my head and I am a bit sleepy, so I may have missed something, but these are my thoughts on how to do this:

Reading the description of Vampiric Strike, it looks like it causes your attack to function just like Leech already does. Leech is effectively a melee attack that ignores DR and heals 1 HP per three HP drained from your opponent, so I hink modifying it is probably your best bet. You can make it into dice of damage instead of points. ([37] for 1d, [49] for 2d, [65] for 3d, etc.).

There are a few things Innate Attacks can do that Leech can't, but what those are will depend on the IA. If it is a draining beam, building it with Ranged, Malediction, and Weaponized should do it (with Malediction you have to win a quick contest of Will with your opponent and you drain an amount equal to your margin of victory).

If you want to be able to target specific hit locations for a wound modifier, you would probably need to buy your basic damage, then higher levels with increasingly severe limitations for more damaging areas. (E.g., for an impaling attack, buy one die unmodified, another die with the limitation "only on creatures that without Injury Tolerance: homogeneous, diffuse, or unliving", Another die with the previous limitation and "only on a hit to the vitals or brain" and another with "only on a hit to the brain."

Leech normally ignores DR, which you may want to change. If you have already bought Weaponized for Leech, you can just take the version that allows DR to give a bonus to the quick contest of Will. If you haven't, I don't know of any limitation that makes a previously unblockable attack subject to DR, but I'd tend to peg it at about -30%. That is the difference between the two levels of Weaponized, the only difference between which are whether the attack is affected by DR and also the cost of Contact Agent, which requires you touch your enemies bear skin to affect them.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imbuements, magic as powers, powers