Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Rationale for the progression of ST-based damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDawn View Post
Isn't the axe-guy doing things without human ST alone? Weapon Master?
Yes, he's using an advantage that a non-cinematic user of such a weapon will often have to make best use of his ST. And it's a huge deal; +2 per die in the swing range of 2d and 3d is enough to make mail and plate (respectively) irrelevant due to the +4 and +6 bonus you get on your weapon.

The guns users also have a realistic non-tech way to increase their damage: buy lots of skill. This allows shooting Chinks in Armor (difficult) or target the Head (-5; 20pts), Brain (-7; 28pts), or Vitals (-3; 12 pts). All of which are on the same order of magnitude of non-ST points spent to increase damage.

I didn't list TBaM since that explicitly IS cinematic, but Weapon Master is going to be allowed in most games as a realistic option, so I don't think it's out of line.

Quote:
I think a realistic ST 17 guy would not have Weapon Master, and be something like 600 lbs*.. he should dish out some serious damage with an an axe, but still is somewhat behind from 4d+4.

*If you follow the reasonable formula for living creature's weight from HP from Fantasy - very usable for realistic calculations, not so for usual PC's
I disagree with this; ST17 is well within human capabilities, and is likely seen on many professional athletes where ST is a requirement, like football players, today. These guys typically weigh 250-400lbs, not 600.

Still, I don't want to digress from the OP too much; my primary point was that the ST progression has issues other than how it goes from sw = 2x thrust to a very small difference with higher ST, and that an alternate progression has a lot to recommend it if you're playing with such things.

However, this runs into costing fairness issues that would require play and experiment to work out.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, supers, table