Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Feint.

I think anyone who thinks feint is useless, needs to go back and re-read it.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
spqr1337

Feint is useless because don't have action on same turn. It "cancel" a attack to give a possibility to a effective attack on next turn. Well, in the next turn you could not be alive...
spqr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr1337 View Post
Feint is useless because don't have action on same turn. It "cancel" a attack to give a possibility to a effective attack on next turn. Well, in the next turn you could not be alive...
If you're unlikely to survive to your next turn, Feint is probably not the right move for you. Feint is a move to use when your skill (or skill+feint technique) is better than your opponent's. Which typically means you've got effective active defenses.

On the other hand, if you're not really expecting to survive to your next turn, that's the sort of time when All Out Attack starts looking like a really good maneuver, when just about anyone will tell you it's a very dangerous maneuver of limited utility.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Witchking

Quote:
Feint is a tactical risk. It is not useless but neither is it a guarentee. If one has a significantly higher skill it is often a useful tactic.

Personally I am fond of 2 Fencing weapons (Rapier/Rapier; Rapier/Main Gauche) and DWA.

In that situation one can Feint, Attack and still have defenses...but you have to build and plan for it... (Off Hand Weap Train/Ambidexterous and DWA Tech)

But Useless IMHO is overselling the risks on a Feint.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
spqr1337

Yes, but any foe on story will give a All-Out Attack and he always have a level of ability much more of your.

Feint become a "luxury maneuver", don't is a "effective maneuver".

Use "Disarming" or "Counterattack" is much more effective than feint.

Last edited by spqr1337; 11-14-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: adding comment.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Feint is useless because don't have action on same turn.
It didn't in 3e, unless you did an All-Out Attack (Feint)

In 4e, it can, if you're willing to take the penalty for a Rapid Strike. Plus you can AOA (Feint), as above.

It's a trading an action now for a benefit later. If you're so concerned you won't live until your next turn, then you really want Defensive Feint (Martial Arts, p. 101).
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Yes, but any foe on story will give a All-Out Attack and he always have a level of ability much more of your.

Feint become a "luxury maneuver", don't is a "effective maneuver".
Can you try that again? I can't parse it very well.

If all your opponents are more skilled than you are, you probably shouldn't use Feint. You also probably shouldn't use combat maneuvers in general, because you're outclassed in a fight.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
If his GM handles it like one of mine did, then the opponent knows he was feinted, and runs away if you did well on the feint.
Martial Arts has a couple options to mitigate that problem. However, "make your opponent disengage" isn't exactly useless.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
spqr1337

Wait... Can I use "Rapid Strike" and make a feint and a attack?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
Witchking

Quote:
That assumes you know you have been Feinted. I will ask players for a roll without telling them what it is for. Or what the results of the roll are. or the skill used...

If the GM tells the players 'He is making a Feint at you" then either A) the opponent really blew the roll or B) the GM is making trouble for himself.

A fair GM should make his NPC opponents play it the same way.

Remember these are ONE SECOND combat rounds...I assume a Feint is made in the pass of arms and you react to it more or less automatically...beneath the level of thought...muscle memory.

YMMV.

Tags
feint