Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
Jaware

Default Need help creating some sort of advantage, I think...

Alright ladies and gents. Once more I consult the collective on matters that I know could be done way better with help.

I have been using gurps for quite a while now so I would like to think that I know they system better than average..., but I have a conundrum.

As many others probably know and possibly sympathize. I take great pleasure in building what I can see. Characters from movies, games, and literature etc. it "keeps me on my toes" and as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

What I am looking to do is make the Warcasters and warjack relationship from the tabletop miniature game "warmachine" and gurpsified them.

But I am running across problems.

For those of you that don't know, that game is played by Warcasters, which are your kings/queens in the game. As in both most powerful pieces and most vulnerable pieces. You loose it, you loose the game.

That being said, the Warcasters are like.... Super battle mages or something similar in nature. They control what are called 'warjacks' which are giant semi-autonomous steampunk golems with weapons etc. the Warcaster is linked to all warjacks in their party -which is limited in the game- and they are telepathically controlled. They can do some things every turn. Such as move, and attack, etc. but they are pretty much just an extra large siege weapon. When they shine is when a Warcaster pays special attention to them and allocates them 'focus points' -max 3- which makes these hulking monstrous machines truly dangerous. With focus, they can run, charge, attack multiple times, pick up enemies and throw them, etc. all in the space of a single turn.

Then the casters themselves are even more dangerous. They gain their allocated focus points every turn, then they can dive them out to their jacks, etc. what they don't dive out, they can use. They cast spells with their focus. Or they can attack multiple times for each spent focus on them, or they can just 'camp' it and gain increased armor until their next turn.

So. Long story short, I want to recreate this (or most of it) using gurps rules.

I don't want to use allies, because they are more equipment then anything else. Being able to be bought and sold traded, upgraded etc. but they aren't exactly a sword either.

I was thinking some sort of blanket unusual background advantage. Sort of like the imbuement advantage. Something that just allows you to use jacks. And the level of the advantage lets you use golems of complexity X or less. Where as the point costs of ally would let you have some degree of general strength.
(For example a jack that's worth 15 points as an ally would be much weaker than one worth say 50 points) in doing this in this way, losing a jack would be a monumentous financial burden. But you wouldn't lose character points. You could also buy increased abilities, weapons, etc of an existing jack to make it better without having to rebut allies etc.

Only thing I'm really having issues with is the how they are controlled aspect. Such as the 'focus' from the actual game.

I was thinking them having a FP reserve that only regenerates if given special attention by their controller. Or something that they can use but instead divvy out to their jacks like for instance a level of ETS, that they can forsake to give the jack a useable option for a turn. Or something like that. Maybe the jack has decreased time rate to show they are slow and meh on their own. And by their controller spending their ETS they can do stuff.

But what about the controller... What kind of things would he get? What kind of things would he have to have? Would compartmentalized mind be one of those things? Would... I'm drawing blanks. I need some more input from other like minded people.

So.... Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Need help creating some sort of advantage, I think...

Maybe go the Transhuman Space route with Puppet allies and Posession?
While posessing you can then use Imbuement, Affects others, or even Affliction to boost them.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Maybe go the Transhuman Space route with Puppet allies and Posession?
While posessing you can then use Imbuement, Affects others, or even Affliction to boost them.
Well, after I figure out how I'm going to make it, I want to contort it to what I want.

Namely being able to drop it into an ultratech game without any magic....
Old 12-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Refplace

Pyrmid ha an issue with interfaces not magic but cant find the issue at the moment.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 12-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Jaware

Quote:
Pyrmid ha an issue with interfaces not magic but cant find the issue at the moment.

That could work.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
That could work.
Found it for you than. One With the SHip in Pyramid 3/40 Spaceships
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 12-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
Jaware

Quote:
Found it for you than. One With the SHip in Pyramid 3/40 Spaceships
I appreciate it.

I actually think I have that one somewhere....
Old 12-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
Groslon

I've thought of this too! I would go with modified Compartmentalized Mind. Limited to 'Jacks and Spells only for some%. Then you make your warjacks slow and limited, but give them a few extra sets of Controls. That way your Warcaster has a set number of actions they can dedicate to spells or 'jack actions, and when they access the Controls on the 'jacks the 'jacks gain access to different maneuvers.

Then you take some other set of abilities that control how the Warcaster is taking control. Magic, science, powers, w/e.
Groslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groslon View Post
I've thought of this too! I would go with modified Compartmentalized Mind. Limited to 'Jacks and Spells only for some%. Then you make your warjacks slow and limited, but give them a few extra sets of Controls. That way your Warcaster has a set number of actions they can dedicate to spells or 'jack actions, and when they access the Controls on the 'jacks the 'jacks gain access to different maneuvers.

Then you take some other set of abilities that control how the Warcaster is taking control. Magic, science, powers, w/e.
What I was thinking was working with some form of "points" equal to their IQ. Then during their turn they can split their attention to their jacks.

Doing so consumes a defense. So -4 to parries, -1 to dodge, etc etc etc. Per split attention.
But the jack gets access to more things with its extra attention. Like enhanced move 1, higher base skill and defense, etc.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #10
Gedrin

Controlling jacks seems to be a skill. Jack Marshals aren't warcasters after all. For "focus" I'd use an ability to share Energy Reserve, or maybe even an Afliction that transfers ER. Jacks can use th ER for extra effort or ther spell like abilities, but it's the same ER that powers caster spells. If you like Jack Marshals being specially talented, consider a Magery 0 type approach.

You might also want to look at the familiar advantage for bonded jacks. Won't be exactly what you want but it'll give a starting spot.

I don't know how detailed your getting, but some older jacks seem to slide a bit on the tool/person scale. For these the concept of control and requires focus can be a bit shakey. If you haven't read Into the Storm and Into the Wild, they're good examples of a quirked up jack assigned to a unit with no warcaster.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage design, allies, character concept, npc design