Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Anders

Default Allies that are rivals

What if a character has two Allies - and they really don't like each other. They won't work well together and, in fact, each one will spoil the other guys plan if they think it's too good. Is this worth a reduction?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Allies that are rivals

It's definitely worth something, but it may already be accounted for if it is correctly reflected as a Disadvantage (Enemy: Rival) on each Ally's sheet.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Anders

Allies are NPCs, so I don't think they can have Enemies.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Figleaf23
Banned

I think you're thinking about this passage under Allies:

"The point cost for an Ally depends
on his power and frequency of appearance.
Only PCs who take NPCs as
Allies pay points for the privilege. Two
PCs can be mutual “allies” for free, as
can two NPCs – and NPCs never pay
points for PCs as Allies. An Ally is
specifically a skilled NPC associate for
one PC." [B37]

This explicitly states that NPCs don't pay points for PCs as Allies. It doesn't cover NPCs as Allies of NPCs, and I don't know of similar text under Enemies.

Also implicitly I think, coming as it does in the point cost explanations area, that it is meant to refer to whether reciprocal costs should appear on the NPC sheet in an Ally relationship.

I specifically do not think the wording or the purpose of this passage is meant to set broadly different rules for character builds as between PCs and NPCs.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Anders

You may be right. I will have to hit the books. And then open them and read them.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Figleaf23
Banned

Just hope they don't hit back.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Last Pawn

As having both Allies have each other as Enemy (Rival) would lower their value, which would in turn lower the value of their rival, which would thus raise their value... Well, things could get bizarrely recursive awfully fast. Besides which, the concern is their cost to the PC, not their cost in relation to each other, and as they suffer a reduced effectiveness I'd think some reduction in cost is valid. The problem being that I can't think of a suitable limitation value. On the other hand, giving them both Odious Personal Habit (Needless Rivalry with X) seems like it might fit the bill, with the reaction penalty serving to represent how much their bickering ticks off everyone else.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
DangerousThing

Do you really need to cause the GM and the party that much trouble?

Allies are NPCs and the GM has to run them. This could cause extra problems for the GM.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Pawn View Post
As having both Allies have each other as Enemy (Rival) would lower their value, which would in turn lower the value of their rival, which would thus raise their value... Well, things could get bizarrely recursive awfully fast. Besides which, the concern is their cost to the PC, not their cost in relation to each other, and as they suffer a reduced effectiveness I'd think some reduction in cost is valid. The problem being that I can't think of a suitable limitation value. On the other hand, giving them both Odious Personal Habit (Needless Rivalry with X) seems like it might fit the bill, with the reaction penalty serving to represent how much their bickering ticks off everyone else.
Exactly. This is one of those inevitable judgement call situations.

The size of the penalty/bonus (depending on how you look at it) should depend on just how rivalrous the rivalry is, and the circumstances of the alliance. Are they rivals who get on each other's nerves, waste time arguing in critical moments, or are they the kind of rivals who just might shoot at each other if somebody really blows a reaction roll? As Allies, they are presumably totally loyal to the PC, but if the PC dares not turn his back on them for fear that A will knife B in the back unsupervised, that's a problem. Potentially a big one.

Likewise, does this alliance tend to come into play when dealing with, say, the local cops or the local city council...or the Mafia or the Gestapo? The worse the situation in which the rivalry might kick in, the lower the cost of the alliance since it's worth less.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Do you really need to cause the GM and the party that much trouble?

Allies are NPCs and the GM has to run them. This could cause extra problems for the GM.
OTOH, it could also give a creative GM plot hooks to work with, too.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allies, enemies