Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
Dalillama

Default Re: Keeping your heart in an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Still thinking the trait you're describing is closer to the effect of the Soul Stone spell than Soul Jar. Breaking the stone INSTANTLY kills you, with no chance to make a new one, or even attempt an overly dramatic death speach.
OK. What's the point value of that, then? The name of the spell emulated is largely a special effect. The question is a) What's the point value of having a soul stone, and b)what would it be if you didn't get any of the beneficial parts, only the downsides.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
OK. What's the point value of that, then? The name of the spell emulated is largely a special effect. The question is a) What's the point value of having a soul stone, and b)what would it be if you didn't get any of the beneficial parts, only the downsides.
a) Unkillable 2/3 with an Achilles' Heel, gadget limitation, and any appropriate trigger for your resurrection.

b) Secret: Possible Death. No matter how powerful you get, anybody who figures out that secret can kill you just by smashing the right [insert object here]. Here's hoping you used something solid, instead of something that can be broken by a kid with a hammer.

Alternatively, buy an Unusual Background, but keep the Secret: Possible Death.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post

b) Secret: Possible Death. No matter how powerful you get, anybody who figures out that secret can kill you just by smashing the right [insert object here]. Here's hoping you used something solid, instead of something that can be broken by a kid with a hammer.

Alternatively, buy an Unusual Background, but keep the Secret: Possible Death.
That one wouldn't have occurred to me; Involuntary Duty could also work, on the lines of "I have your heart, do what I say and you'll live;" IIRC the examples given for Involuntary Duty in books have included things like cortical bombs, having their organs should also count.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
That one wouldn't have occurred to me; Involuntary Duty could also work, on the lines of "I have your heart, do what I say and you'll live;" IIRC the examples given for Involuntary Duty in books have included things like cortical bombs, having their organs should also count.
Literally holding somebody's heart is the same deal, minus the whole "bomb" part.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
DangerousThing

What are the upsides to this proceedure?

Usually in the fantasy I've read, the evil sorceror becomes unkillable until the macguffin is broken. And it is almost always something fairly easy to break on purpose, but not by accident. And it is almost always hidden in some place where the evil sorceror doesn't know where it is.

This is from what I've read in fiction.

Though thinking about it, it might be safer to have it lost than to have it put into a highly guarded room that just shouts "something important is in here!"
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post

Usually in the fantasy I've read, the evil sorceror becomes unkillable until the macguffin is broken. And it is almost always something fairly easy to break on purpose, but not by accident. And it is almost always hidden in some place where the evil sorceror doesn't know where it is.

This is from what I've read in fiction.

Though thinking about it, it might be safer to have it lost than to have it put into a highly guarded room that just shouts "something important is in here!"
Upsides? Well, there's the whole unkillable thing. Nothing like being able to burn infinite HP for your spells, survive a ballista bolt to the face, and retaliate with exploding fireballs and lightning.

If the mage cast the spell himself, he knows exactly where and what his soul stone is. If he made a deal with a demon, his soul stone could actually turn out to be his favorite wine glass...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post

Usually if the sorcerer has removed their own heart, they know perfectly well where it is, but hide it somewhere non-obvious so no one else will know where it is. For the kind where someone else did the removing, there is no upside for you; the upside for them is they can now control you via threats and magic.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
Last Pawn

And from the other side of the advantages chapter...

How about building it as a non-sentient Ally that grants Unkillable 3 and has the -50% limitation of Sympathy? As long as it's "alive" your vampire has Unkillable , so "killing" the vampire shouldn't cause it to die; but, once the Ally is killed the vampire loses Unkillable 3 and faces death due to Sympathy.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Anders

Terminally Ill (Less than a month; Mitigator - Soul Stone, -70%) [-30]

The Soul Stone goes, you go. Immediately. Do not pass go.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #30
Pip Boy

And if, like Voldemort, you have MORE than one phylactery?

Tags
conversions, injury tolerance, soul jar, spells as powers