Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default HP of Unliving and Homogenous Things

For Unliving and Homogenous objects and creatures, the suggestion on p. B558 is that they have 2x and 4x the HP of living things, respectively (since living things have HP equal to 2*cube_root(mass_in_lbs), it's listed as 4x and 8x).

Is this a recommendation for building Unliving and Homogenous creatures and characters in addition to the normal effects of having IT:Unliving or IT:Homogenous? Or instead of them?

Basically, let's say I want an Unliving creature. So I give it IT:Unliving, and it has those benefits. Do I also give it twice the HP I'd normally give to a creature of equivalent mass?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: HP of Unliving and Homogenous Things

Yes, it's an addition.
It's so because such things have (or have significantly less) no complex inner structure with a lot of useful and valuable stuff, but just raw bulk of matter. So you need more damage to chew it up to useless condition.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Maz

Except undeads.
Well at least the templates found all over various GURPS do not generally double their HP. Sometimes they add a few, but never a lot. It's the same for robots I think. They generally do not have more HP either.

I don't know why this is, but that's how it is. Nothings stopping you from not using those templates or modify them to fit the x2 and x4 HP scale though.

[edit]thought a bit more about this:
You should consider what additional HP does apart from "takes longer to kill". for instance, one of the main benefits is that it take much more damage to cripple your limbs. This IMO do not make sense for zombies for instance. If anything it should be easier to cut off a zombies arm, than a human. It also means they are going to be much better to withstand slam (or do them themselves). This too does not make sense either, especially for things like skeletons or liches.
Same for x4. Take a flesh golem. Lets say it's SM+1 and ST:20. Now it should have HP: 80? It's going to take twice as much damage to cut down as an elephant! And that's assuming it has fragile and will die at 0 HP. Give it a HT of 12 and you looking to have to do 160 or even 240 damage to it. Not even a direct hit fro ma 84mm LAW can take it down.

So yeah. It works for figuring out HP of objects. A car, a gun, a crossbow, a table, a statue, a broadsword. But less so for "monsters". So no, I do not agree its an addition. It's not how it's traditionally done (look at other templates) and it can lead to unfortunate results (see my above examples).

Last edited by Maz; 01-26-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Vilobion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
So yeah. It works for figuring out HP of objects. A car, a gun, a crossbow, a table, a statue, a broadsword. But less so for "monsters". So no, I do not agree its an addition.
Would a car really be considered homogenous considering the engine, gas tank and wheels?
Vilobion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilobion View Post
Would a car really be considered homogenous considering the engine, gas tank and wheels?
No, but it is Unliving, and thus has double the expected (mass-based) HP.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Yes, it's an addition.
It's so because such things have (or have significantly less) no complex inner structure with a lot of useful and valuable stuff, but just raw bulk of matter. So you need more damage to chew it up to useless condition.
Thanks. I thought it was in addition, just wanted to make sure after a debate about it came up in my group.

Tags
hit points, injury tolerance