Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2022, 11:09 PM   #31
LisMorozniy

Default Re: How to model SUPER strong and fast characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Raw attributes aren't the way to do this. You need a relatively complex mix of Advantages.

Trying to remember what i saw on Hunter X Hunter the first special Advantage gained is probably Enhanced Time Sense. The possessor of this can track lightning fast moves and always acts before "normal" humans.

Extra attacks probably with the Multi-Strike Enhancement lets users attack with superhuman speed.

Altered Time Rate allows for moving and attacking at superhuman speed and generally allows complex multi-part actions to occur in lightning speed.

For actual movement at extremely high speeds you'll want Enhanced Move doubling speed with each level probably with Enhancements allowing instananeous acceleration and maneuvering at max speed.

You'll need other Powers for damage doing and durability.

I know this all seems very complex but your source material is very complex and I know of no other supers system that would handle things more easily.
Now when I thinked of that a lot, it seems like some mix of Dexterity, Altered Time Rate, Basic Speed(to compensate for lack of high HT, because I think HT should be capped at about 25), Enhanced Move and Super-Jump will do a great job.
LisMorozniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:59 AM   #32
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisMorozniy View Post
Now when I thinked of that a lot, it seems like some mix of Dexterity, Altered Time Rate, Basic Speed(to compensate for lack of high HT, because I think HT should be capped at about 25), Enhanced Move and Super-Jump will do a great job.
Striking Strength could be a good idea. If you move twice as fast, then your blows hit at twice the speed, and therefore have four times the kinetic energy.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #33
LisMorozniy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Striking Strength could be a good idea. If you move twice as fast, then your blows hit at twice the speed, and therefore have four times the kinetic energy.
Yes, it is really a good idea, I thinked of it too. But I don't really know how ST should scale. Now I am working with scales.
LisMorozniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:56 PM   #34
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Martial Arts introduced an optional rule that many have adopted, where Dodge suffers a -1 iteration penalty.
still the crazy-best (just hard to buy up the base amount compared to cheap combat skillboosting parries) unless you have TBAM/fencing discounts on the accruing penalties
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:36 PM   #35
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisMorozniy View Post
The reason is that most of important characters in this universe have achieved reaction, fight and movement speed greater than mach 1. Top 10 characters have speeds in the range of mach 5-500(it's reaaaly incosistent and argueable so I just choose lower bound of mach 5-10). But still it's more than thousand Basic Speed. So I am looking for the way to model this, but GURPS don't seem to being really good at this values. This is not like I want it or not for any particular reason, I just need to match the source.
Aside from Enhanced Move, it's important to note that superhuman characters should generally be exempt from some or all of the limits on raising secondary characteristics independently of attributes outline on pp. 15-18 of the Basic Set. So while I'm not familiar with the source material, a good generic starting point for a speedster might be something like DX 16 [120]; HT 12 [20]; Basic Speed 10.00 [60]; Altered Time Rate 1 [100]; Enhanced Time Sense [45]; Enhanced Move 4.5 (Ground; Second-Nature, +150%) [225]; Extra Attack 1 (Multi-Strike, +25%) [30]. Key points:
  • Basic Speed is being raised by 3 levels above the value calculated from DX and HT instead of the usual 2, which is fine for a superhumanly fast character.
  • The Second-Nature enhancement from Enhanced Move comes from Power-Ups 4, and effectively causes Enhanced Move to increase Basic Move rather than merely increase top speed.
  • The Multi-Strike enhancement, from Powers, lifts the restriction on Extra Attack that you have to use two different attacks.
A character like this can run at Mach 1.28. Two extra levels of Enhanced Move will get them to Mach 5.12. The character will also always act before normal humans, and be able to attack about four times faster in combat (though with Altered Time Rate you're also buying the flexibility to do fancier things). Finally, they'll be able to dodge most attacks 90% of the time, rising to 98% if you use acrobatic dodge (Basic Set, p. 375) or this trick. Total cost is 540 points, which is way more reasonable than the 9800 points you'd need to buy DX 9800.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:31 AM   #36
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Aside from Enhanced Move, it's important to note that superhuman characters should generally be exempt from some or all of the limits on raising secondary characteristics independently of attributes outline on pp. 15-18 of the Basic Set. So while I'm not familiar with the source material, a good generic starting point for a speedster might be something like DX 16 [120]; HT 12 [20]; Basic Speed 10.00 [60]; Altered Time Rate 1 [100]; Enhanced Time Sense [45]; Enhanced Move 4.5 (Ground; Second-Nature, +150%) [225]; Extra Attack 1 (Multi-Strike, +25%) [30].
When I built La Gata Encantada for a friend's GURPS Supers campaign, I gave her DX and Per 19, Basic Speed and Basic Move 12, Enhanced Move 1 (Ground), Enhanced Time Sense, Extra Attack 1 (Multi-Strike), Super Jump 2, and Super Throw 5. I didn't give her Striking Strength; her bones weren't extra strong, so she could hurt herself by hitting something hard with her fist. I was aiming more at a "Spider-man" speedster than a Quicksilver or Flash speedster. Her Move only got her up to 48 mph, not quite up to freeway speeds, but she was HIGHLY maneuverable . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes, campaign design