Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #21
Dustin

Default Re: GURPS Shooting - TL6-8 Gunfighting blog

Great stuff, I like it.

For treating HP loss, "You can treat lost HP of a single character as many times in a row as desired" (with no consequences on skill failure except use of time and supplies) seems like it could have more drama.

Perhaps skill failure imposes a penalty on successive rolls, reducing the amount healed by 1? Or bring in the Repeated Attempts rule from B348, and assess a -1 skill penalty that accumulates with each failure until they get a success.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #22
MrFix

Interesting idea. At which point the penalty resets?
Master: Kromm vs PK

GURPS: Shooting things for fun and profit
MrFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #23
MrFix

GURPS Firearm: Saiga 410K-01 and -04

New article on my blog, it took a moment to figure out various .410G loadings since they're hidden in the GURPS 4e Pulp Guns 1.

LC3 magazine-fed shotgun for modern day adventures, behaves very similarly to an assault rifle, so it could be a 'starting' weapon for a survivalist, guerrilla etc.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #24
MrFix

And another one

GURPS Firearm: Taurus Judge .410G 3" - My take on the famous pistol-shotgun, since a lot of people want one in GURPS.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #25
clu2415

Been reading through your stuff and really like it. Going to point my players to your stealth articles.

There’s no way the Judge can deal the same damage with the same ammo as the Saiga 410. Losing 10 or 12 inches of barrel makes a huge difference. I’ve talked to many people who are super excited about firing .410 out of a pistol, but it is not effective.

Last edited by clu2415; 07-26-2020 at 04:28 PM.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #26
Say, it isn't that bad!

In your rules for Tactical Swarms:

https://gurpsshooting.blogspot.com/2...al-swarms.html

You state that RoF is added for all team members. However, you also state that some team members are acting as rear guard, and up to half are reloading per round.

I may be missing something here, but this doesn't seem to make sense?
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #27
MrFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
Been reading through your stuff and really like it. Going to point my players to your stealth articles.

There’s no way the Judge can deal the same damage with the same ammo as the Saiga 410. Losing 10 or 12 inches of barrel makes a huge difference. I’ve talked to many people who are super excited about firing .410 out of a pistol, but it is not effective.
It's the quirk of GURPS regarding shotgun damage. A 6" Serbu Shorty has exact same buckshot damage die (1d+1, Bulk -3, TS60) as Remington 870 Wingmaster with 26-28" barrel (1d+1, bulk -6, HT105). It seems to assume that smoothbore means that barrel length doesn't matter.

Since that also applies to 20G shotguns across the book, as well as .410G in Pulp Guns 1, I didn't feel the need to reduce Judge's damage die. I wouldn't even begin to guess what it would be, as Tactical Shooting's rules for sawn off barrels reduce damage only for rifled weapons. Smoothbore weapons don't lose any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
In your rules for Tactical Swarms:

https://gurpsshooting.blogspot.com/2...al-swarms.html

You state that RoF is added for all team members. However, you also state that some team members are acting as rear guard, and up to half are reloading per round.

I may be missing something here, but this doesn't seem to make sense?
It's an abstraction and a half-serious way to describe what the tactical swarm is doing. Since it's all generic, and team sizes can wary, I didn't think of assigning a specific number of team members that won't be part of Attack maneuver, ROF calculations etc.

When you choose Tactical Swarms over separate NPCs, you choose abstraction and speed of play over realism and grainy simulation.

If you have a suggestion on how to improve this aspect though, I'd love to hear it.

Also,

Quote:
Exception: After taking 2 Attack maneuvers at maximum RoF, the entire team must reload, spending 3 ready maneuvers to do so.
This line is supposed to reign the issue in a bit by preventing swarms from firing at full ROF constantly. Since it's likely the swarm will fire as many shots as needed to acquire a bonus to hit breakpoint, it can be assumed that the rest of the ROF covers people that are doing reloads/watches.

Ie, 5 people with ROF 15 rifles for total of ROF of 75. ROF of 50-99 gives +6 bonus to hit. So it's safe to assume that the swarm will fire 50~ shots, which spreads evenly between 4 people firing 12 shots per second each while the 5th reloads/watches rear, since mechanically there's no reason to fire more than 50.

Last edited by MrFix; 07-26-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #28
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
It's an abstraction and a half-serious way to describe what the tactical swarm is doing. Since it's all generic, and team sizes can wary, I didn't think of assigning a specific number of team members that won't be part of Attack maneuver, ROF calculations etc.

When you choose Tactical Swarms over separate NPCs, you choose abstraction and speed of play over realism and grainy simulation.

If you have a suggestion on how to improve this aspect though, I'd love to hear it.
Adding up all RoF and dividing by 1.5 seems quick, simple, and like it would satisfy most who are looking for a little less abstraction.

Even with a Tactical Swarm of 1, most soldiers don't fire full-auto most of the time, anyway, as I understand it.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #29
MrFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Adding up all RoF and dividing by 1.5 seems quick, simple, and like it would satisfy most who are looking for a little less abstraction.

Even with a Tactical Swarm of 1, most soldiers don't fire full-auto most of the time, anyway, as I understand it.
Sounds good enough to me, I'll add that to the article. Cheers.

Quote:
For those interested in a more realistic approach, dividng the combined ROF by 1.5 for maneuvers that allow defenses and automatic reloads properly portrays some members of the team being busy reloading/guarding the team's rear.

Example: 5 men with ROF 15 rifles for combined ROF of 75. During attack maneuver, their ROF is 75/1.5=50

Last edited by MrFix; 07-26-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #30
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
Sounds good enough to me, I'll add that to the article. Cheers.
Cheers, and a good way to phrase things, I think.

Tags
blog, blogs, stealth, tactical combat, tactical shooting